Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: 93 S10(finally getting a micro)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 93 S10(finally getting a micro)

Alright, just ordered a losi micro crawler. I have a 1/20 Chevy S10 body that came on a wired dancing bed lowrider, the front hopped and the bed danced and twirled, haha. It's not as detailed as a true static model, no interior and the windows are black. But at the time I'd never seen a 1st gen S10 model so I grabbed it. 5" wheelbase so I'll either make new links or a new chassis for the losi, haven't decided yet. They also sell some urethane super swamper iroks on ebay that I'm tempted to get for a more scale look. I'm not going full comp or full scale on this, just a nice place in the middle. Here's a pic of the body on another static models chassis/axles/tires.

Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I'm glad you finally got into the micro game. I've already built two.

I used to have one of those models. It was the Lindberg from the series that had "working" Hydraulics.

Should turn out sweet.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Oh really? So the actual body might be just as detailed as the other lindberg models, just no interior. It also has a tonnau cover rather than a drop bed, and no back glass, rather a sticker. It will probably be a dark metallic blue in memory of my first vehicle, 93 2wd S10. Might even make a topper out of styrene to really match my old truck.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
It will probably be a dark metallic blue in memory of my first vehicle, 93 2wd S10.
My first truck was a black 93 2wd. Then somebody stole it.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Oh really? So the actual body might be just as detailed as the other lindberg models, just no interior. It also has a tonnau cover rather than a drop bed, and no back glass, rather a sticker. It will probably be a dark metallic blue in memory of my first vehicle, 93 2wd S10. Might even make a topper out of styrene to really match my old truck.
Sounds exactly like the one I had. It sat on a frame that was fixed so that the front end would 'hop' and the rear had a motor operated arm that would lift the bed up and down. The bed had a cover on it. Seems like it set on some wire wheels and white walls.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Yup, that's the one. I kept the switch and motor and junked the rest, aside from the body of course. This gold plated grill and bumper will definely need changed as well. I swiped the bumper off a model ATV that I may use to make a custom front bumper with winch(non-op). I'm reluctant to start on the body work till I get the micro in my hands. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Finally got mine. I'm trying to resist the urge to rip it apart right away. I'd like to fully experience every modification as I do them. So a few packs in bone stock form, them move some electronics, then try droop springs, then weight the tires, then add wheelbase, and finally switch to the scale S10 body. Also plan on a lipo swap somewhere in that process. But here's the pics of it completely stock, I already love it.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Finally got mine. I'm trying to resist the urge to rip it apart right away. I'd like to fully experience every modification as I do them. So a few packs in bone stock form, them move some electronics, then try droop springs, then weight the tires, then add wheelbase, and finally switch to the scale S10 body. Also plan on a lipo swap somewhere in that process. But here's the pics of it completely stock, I already love it.

I recognize those rubber rocks! I have a bunch of those too
Darsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I only have 4 of the rubber rocks and have been charging/running all evening, haha. Can't wait till I get a proper course made up. This is some of the best money I've spent on RC ever.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I just timed my runtime on the stock battery and it was almost 13 minutes. Is it dafe to assume that my tranny doesn't bind? I see so many having troubles that it makes me second guess myself. Seems fine though.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Well, switched to droop suspension, lengthened the links to 5" wheelbase, and moved the battery to the back axle. I think I'll put the springs back on and make some new upper shock mounts to inboard them. I almost hate to slap the s10 body on there, it's fun as a comp style crawler.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

Nice Fit. Are you going to cut out the fender to fit the tires at that body position. I think that would be sick!!
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Oh yeah, cutting the wheelwells out on a real S10 is a must, so I have to haha. That way the body can go even lower. I'm thinking about making a lighter weight styrene copy of the body with a vacuum former. But all I have for the forming is the box and it isn't complete. Not sure how much detail you could get off something this small either.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Well I did a few mods today. First I got some 3/8" washers and drilled them to fit on the front faces of the rims. I added an extra washer ontop the first to add more weight, and to make the bolt head more flush. The second thing I did may not be what most would choose to do. But for my use, the pros outweigh the cons. I added AAA battery trays to the chassis and am running rechargable AAA's(4-cell). These batteries have no stated capacity but are at least 700mah, probably higher. As you would expect, it didn't help COG, but I can live with it.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Just ran my first test of the AAA's. 1hour 7 minutes before any sign of power loss, haha. I doubt I'll be running them down that far again, that's a lot of crawling.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

i have some of those to i put texture paint on mine!
losilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Texture paints the stuff to use. I have a gallon left from something else that I plan to use on a paper mache' course I'm going to build. Should give excellent traction, might even leave it bright orange, haha.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Did some trimming on the body. Still needs some sanding and paint but looks like it will fit well. Reminds me of many S10 cabbed mud trucks where they really cut open the fenders. Body isn't mounted yet, can't decide on which setup would be best. I was also thinking of bobbing the bed, as shown in the last pic. If I owned an S10 I'd do it to the real one, so...

Old 02-03-2010, 03:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Just ran my first test of the AAA's. 1hour 7 minutes before any sign of power loss, haha. I doubt I'll be running them down that far again, that's a lot of crawling.
Over one hour of runtime?! Wow! What does the stock battery get? About 10 minutes? And I would guess they aftermarket LiPos don't add much runtime.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Depends on the lipo. I've heard of some people getting 30+ minutes from some lipos. It all depends on what fits and it's rating.