Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Is my servo messed up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Is my servo messed up?

I'm running the stock servo. I've got about 5 or 6 runs on the crawler now. Every since the very first run, the truck runs along straight then all of a sudden the servo wiggles the wheels back and forth a couple of times and keeps on going every so often.

I found out tonight that if I hold the crawler off the table. turn either full right or left, it turns that way but when I release the steering wheel.. instead of returning to center, it wiggles the wheels back and forth 2 times first just like when it's running on the ground.

The servo has been making a lot of buzzing sounds as well..

So is the servo bad, or could it be the esc/rx unit sending it a jumbled signal?

I would greatly appreciate some help.

eric
ericinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

mine did that to. check the plug in the esc, mine was not in all the way.
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

by my experience with planes it sounds like the pot might be bad. I've always got the wheels cranked on my Micro, so I don't worry about centering.
3dRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

When my son finally got to open his LMC, all his would do is turn fully to the left. I tried reversing the Tx and all it would do is turn fully to the right. I could bind his to my Tx and it would work fine. Horizon is replacing the Tx(backordered till beginning of March). If you have another 2.4, try binding to that(unless you already have) and see if it fixes your problem. Just whats happened to me(out of 3, this is the only problems I have had with the LMC).
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

sounds like a bad steering pot in the servo, contact Horizon about a warranty replacement
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Mine was a BND. I'm using it with a DX3E (the only spektrum radio I have).

I did try unplugging it and even tried poking it in there farther with a small tool (easily) lol.... No change.

I just did a search and it appears this has been a common problem, especially with the BND models. I just serched "servo" in this forum. There were a few reports of taking these servos apart, realligning the gears and putting back together and then it worked fine. I might try it.

I hate like hell to whip out 1/3 what I paid for the BND for a Hitec HS-65MG but I imagine that's my best bet if I decide I'm going to keep this thing.

Guess I'll call Horizon Tomorrow. Thanks fellas!

Eric
Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinMD View Post
I'm running the stock servo. I've got about 5 or 6 runs on the crawler now. Every since the very first run, the truck runs along straight then all of a sudden the servo wiggles the wheels back and forth a couple of times and keeps on going every so often.

I found out tonight that if I hold the crawler off the table. turn either full right or left, it turns that way but when I release the steering wheel.. instead of returning to center, it wiggles the wheels back and forth 2 times first just like when it's running on the ground.

The servo has been making a lot of buzzing sounds as well..

So is the servo bad, or could it be the esc/rx unit sending it a jumbled signal?

I would greatly appreciate some help.

eric

Hey Eric, try the search tool (the advanced search is best) before you start a new thread. There are twelve threads on servos other than this one. There are a few remedies mentioned in those threads. I see you have many posts, so maybe you did search. If not, remember the search tool is your friend.8-)

Sorry...I see you must have been searching while I was typing my suggestion.

Last edited by btoungette; 02-21-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: He just did a search while I was typing...nevermind
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Mine did that at first too. I just dealt with it through a few charges and it stopped on its own. YMMV.
Devinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dRookie View Post
by my experience with planes it sounds like the pot might be bad. I've always got the wheels cranked on my Micro, so I don't worry about centering.
It's not a matter of me being worried about centering, it's a matter of the servo having a mind of it's own and wiggling tires back and forth whenever it wants. I named it wigglesworth.

I can honestly say that having owned over 200 RC cars, trucks, boats, and tanks in the last 20+ years, this is the biggest piece of crap I ever bought. BUT... I'm starting to love it. It's just so much damn fun when it does work, it's worth the aggravation.

I'm calling Horizon today and getting another servo even if I never install it. Fact is, I paid for a working servo and they owe me. However, I think for my own sanity, I'm going to order a Hitec HS-65MG to avoid further problems. You guys seem to be having good luck with them.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

is there a particular losi contact number you called?
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I called 1-877-504-0233.

I waited 20 minutes on hold and then chose to "push#1" to leave a message. When I did that, it immedately connected me to support guy. Kinda weird, and he didn't get it either. LOL

It was totally worth the wait though and I couldn't have asked for better customer service.