Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: need material to buid a scale track that look real

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default need material to buid a scale track that look real

need material to buid a scale crawler track that look real
better then what I made
fake rock
sticker
to be like a official competition track
etc..

any store you know
link please

Last edited by sonat; 03-05-2010 at 08:20 AM.
sonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

For rocks trees ect look in the train section of you local hoby shop
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #3

This is a site that has everything of woodland scenics, which is the best for model train scenery. Go to the tips and techniques section and read all the information. Than find a store in your neighborhood that sells woodland scenics and buy the stuff you need. It is pretty expansive but you get what you pay for. http://www.ecscenics.co.uk/index1.html
hugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

or you can just use this.

losi micro course how to...

hugy did you ever finish yours?
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i used foam and paper mache to make mine

The trick is the paint. Rustoleum rock fleck paint is great for doing the rocky terrain. There is also a textured paint that works great for the mud/dirt sections. As stated above the railroad section of your lhs is great for bushes and trees.

heres a link to my course build
Mount Me Crawler Course
hope that helps
theholybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #6

I'm still building mine Murdock. The way I do it is.
Buy some insulation foam sheets stack and cut them to form the contours of mountains and hills. Than buy a 20-25 kilo sack of plaster. Get some aluminium foil. Get a sheet of foil and make a ball of it. After that flatten it out and make a little container of it that can hold the plaster. You will see that it has all kinds of cracks and crevices in it that look like rocks. Than make some plaster with the consistancy of yoghurt. Pour it in the aluminium foil molds you have made and let it sit until it starts to harden. You can touch it and it should feel a little bit hard but still moldable. Than put it on your foam and mold it like you want. Now let it sit and harden. After it is fully hardened pull of the foil and you have a beautful rock. After you have done the whole layout with plaster you have to paint it. I use 4 colors of acrylic paint. Burnt Umber, Raw Sienna, Black and white. You dilute them 16 to 1 with water. and the black 32 to 1. Now start putting spots everywhere of all the colors this technique is called leopard spotting, youtube has some nice tutorials about it. After spotting all the plaster with burnt umber and Raw sienna you let the black run over it. This will highlite all the cracks and crevices and give it shadow. After this process take a little wite and dry brush this on some spots to highlite them. Than buy some train scenery grass and bushes and put them on. Now you have a nice looking track that has realistic grip and looks. I will post some pictures of mine soon.
hugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Talking

i don't have good pictures of mine. but i use coffee groundsas dirt , foam board as parts for mountains, paper masai, real rocks. and a old green plastic reef as trees.
ax10rtrmaster is offline   Reply With Quote