Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Newbie question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #1

Default Newbie question

Forgive my ignorance...

I have a tranny that is slipping really bad. It makes loud noises all the time and when faced with an incline that the Micro used to crawl up it just slips and spins.

Is this 'binding' that others have mentioned?

If not - what should I do???

I did take it apart once but nothing looked broken or 'shaved' as it would with other parts.
lojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #2

It sounds like your slipper clutch got loose. Try to tighten it. It is on your spur gear.
hugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugy View Post
It sounds like your slipper clutch got loose. Try to tighten it. It is on your spur gear.
+1

Mine kept coming loose, so I glued it locked!
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #4

Another dumb question - which part is the slipper? I'm guessing it's in the transmission but if anyone has details about this it would be a big help. Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

you have driven a 1:1 with a clutch before right?

sounds like you are releaseing the clutch a bit early.
if the motor isnt dieing while you are on the hill, you are just letting it out to fast

OR and most likely you have the slipper to loose. go ahead and tighten your clutch,

BTW while you have it open, most of us like to replace the master and slave too!

...at least thats what i think i did on my ranger.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #6

You will have to open the side of the transmission where the gear on the motor (pinion) meshes with the spur gear>(part of the slipper clutch assembly). If you have a long enough allen wrench you won't have to remove the motor/ transmission assembly to work on it. You can leave the cover off while adjusting and retesting without the fear of anything falling apart ...it is just a cover. When you take the cover off you will see a plastic nut...This is what you would tighten up by holding the large gear and turning the nut clockwise a little at a time (1/4 turn) NEVER TRY TO TURN THE WHEELS WITH YOUR HANDS OR ROLL ON THE FLOOR...use the spur gear or turn one of the drive shafts. I usually hold one of the drive shafts and try to turn the spur gear. If the spur gear turns while holding the drive line, you need to adjust it more (clockwise)
I would also check the gear mesh between the motor pinion and the spur gear. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN OR THEY WILL STRIP IN A HEARTBEAT!
Look at your drawing and see the relation of the parts and what they are called on the spare parts lists.
I you think you have a gear mesh problem let me know...I will help you figure out which gear is the problem.(usually the gear on the output shaft to the drive lines)
best of luck
jim
BOZINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

It could also be the pinion spinning on the motor shaft.....happened on my micro highroller....of course this was after I put in a BBII and before I just CA'd it to the shaft, hehehehe
VooDuuChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZINATOR View Post
You will have to open the side of the transmission where the gear on the motor (pinion) meshes with the spur gear>(part of the slipper clutch assembly). If you have a long enough allen wrench you won't have to remove the motor/ transmission assembly to work on it. You can leave the cover off while adjusting and retesting without the fear of anything falling apart ...it is just a cover. When you take the cover off you will see a plastic nut...This is what you would tighten up by holding the large gear and turning the nut clockwise a little at a time (1/4 turn) NEVER TRY TO TURN THE WHEELS WITH YOUR HANDS OR ROLL ON THE FLOOR...use the spur gear or turn one of the drive shafts. I usually hold one of the drive shafts and try to turn the spur gear. If the spur gear turns while holding the drive line, you need to adjust it more (clockwise)
I would also check the gear mesh between the motor pinion and the spur gear. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN OR THEY WILL STRIP IN A HEARTBEAT!
Look at your drawing and see the relation of the parts and what they are called on the spare parts lists.
I you think you have a gear mesh problem let me know...I will help you figure out which gear is the problem.(usually the gear on the output shaft to the drive lines)
best of luck
jim
Okay, I tightened the spur gear nut. That solved the problem about the slipping. However, it's still a loud grinding sound. I still have the cover off and can see that the gears are lined up and they don't appear to be grinding on each other - any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Not sure about the grinding sound, although anyone with an MRC will tell you that the transmission makes a lot of noise.
primus2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #10

Nevermind - I got it. I noticed that the spur gear was slightly offset from the pinion. A little alignment adjustment and we are good to go!

Thanks to all for the pointers!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

One thing to note when I pulled off my slipper cover my gear mesh to the pinion was barely touching on the very edge of the teeth from the factory (or child labor shop). So readjust the gear mesh and see if it helps. Every freakin gear in one of my micros is bent /warped my slipper shaft is not running true (bent) so I did the wreak your trans cover where the bearing sits "mod" just to end the problem for now and then get all new trans gears slipper shaft and trans cover later hopefully when they have after market upgraded parts . But I still love me some micro crawlers. At least I got one that didn't bind.
droopmodmrc is offline   Reply With Quote