Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: lets hear your set-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

Default lets hear your set-up

i am waiting for my micro to arrive and i am getting more and more excited every day that goes by.

i've read a lot (if not all) of the threads on here and either i overwhelmed myself with mods or i just have no idea what direction i want to go.

so lets here what you have done with yours, and the pros and cons of your set-up.

this is gonna be my first crawler and maybe my first step towards moving up to a bigger scale later on.

i love the looks of scalers, but i will not be going in that direction, i am more intersted in function over form, but i still want to hear what you guys have done to yours.
1/4milecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

It would be easier to list what I HAVEN'T done to it.....
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
Same! ...but I'll do it anyways:

1) removrd the shock springs for droop setup and to lower my cg
2)I moved the battery to the empty tray on the back axle, also to lower CG
3)I reversed the tranny to move more weight up front
4)I took the case off the ESC, shrink wrapped it, and mounted it on top of the servo, this moves the CG forward and saves wieght
5) Next, I removed the chassis braces, trimmed them down to bare minimum, and reinstalled them, I also removed the spur gear cover, this is optional, it just saves weight
6) lastly, I CAREFULLY removed the tires and took out the foams, then I wrapped the front wheels with solder( I put it in the middle gap and wrapped it till it was flush with the beads) Just be careful with the tires, they are very thin and glued in pretty good in some spots. I learned that the hard way when one of them tore from me not having patience....
And BTW, this is all FREE modifications took me about a half hour for all. You just need a peice of double sided tape to mount the battery and ESC.

Hope this helped!!!
Cenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
yeah well that is part of whats got me so confused!!all your reviews are making it impossible to decide what i want to do.

i am really thinking about the torsion chassis and BWD wheel weights to start and of course moving the electronics around on the chassis.

first i want to run a few packs through it stock so i can see what parts are making what improvements.
1/4milecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Let's see:

DP chassis, 2 washers on each front wheel 1 on each rear, lipos on rear deck, de-cased ESC and mounted it on tape above the motor and coated it with liquid elect. tape, flipped motor and tranny, rear axle lock outs, cut all but the large lugs off the tires,high clearence links front and rear, Super glued the slipper, and de-foamed tires.
Gvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default lets see..........

DP torsion
pennie weights on the rear axle plate
battery on servo
Bwd coming
some lugs cut out
BTA (OTA coming)
custom painted body stiil in the local paint shop.(mustang metalic blue with flames)
no foams
note: i used glue dots for the battery and the 4 pennies.

Last edited by losilover; 05-15-2010 at 05:26 AM.
losilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

OK well it's no comp chassis at all but I'll list, why not
Chevy Silverado Model Kit with chassis used(since December 2009)
Losi 300mAh 2S LiPo(shares with BL/LiPo Micro DT)
DX2.0
Motor wires replaced with flexible 20gauge wire
Copper stinger
Rear 2 stage(I guess) pull start leaf springs)
Styrene shackles
Pen Tube Driveshafts
Extended front links
Full interior
Hand made exhaust pipe
Soon to come:
transmission flip
stinger re-done(too large)
RC4WD Bead-Locks
waiting for RC4WD to release tires!

Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Currently I have flipped the tranny/esc, made the pvc beadlock inserts, wrapped the wheels with as much solder as would fit under the pvc beadlock inserts, removed the foams, removed the springs, installed springs from a spring kit from harbor freight in a droop configuration, removed the battery tray, added 1oz of lead weight to the top of the servo, put the losi lipo on the back deck, added BWD wheel weights, made custom lower links front and back with the back being bent. Thats how it sits now. I really want to get the DP chassis, remove the esc from the case, and go with a BTA setup. I have the parts to do the BTA, just deciding if I really want to buy a new chassis. Most of everything else was free or things I had laying around. Still $15 for the DP chassis isn't bad.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

After trying different configurations of just about all the free/budget mods, I'm happily beginning to settle down:

-DP Torsion Chassis

-BTA with stock Losi servo; I re-flipped transmission to original position to better accommodate the position of the servo horn on the stock servo - with a HiTec, for example, I think I could have left the transmission reversed. See my build thread (eventually, when I get the pictures up) in my sig' for build details.

-Decased ESC/Rx; covered with shrink wrap; sits on top of transmission and motor.

-Custom links: straight fronts and bent rears; made with Mini-T ends and all thread, sleeved with Al tube.

-Tires: defoamed, weighted, bead-lock modified and cut (lugs). The wheels are wrapped with as much solder as will fit and still allow the PVC mod to slid over (the PVC is a waste of time, IMO, as I ended up re-gluing them anyway); each tire also has a lock washer on the inside of the hub and the fronts have the big washer on the outside, over the stock plastic ring. The rears weigh in at 21g and the fronts are about 32g.

-2s Lipo
-batteries have a layer of shrink wrap for a little protection - it adds a nice black color to 'em as well.
-chassis braces from mini square plastic tubing.
-mounted small lexan tray to rear deck for more positive surface area for the battery = a little less movement, which is something I wanted.
-rewired with silicone/noodle wire; mini Deans connectors all around
-shaved off "one hole" length's worth of body post (2 or 3 mm?) and moved in pins to hold body slightly tighter. Anyone else hitting body posts on the rocks?
-trimmed body to bottom of "door panel"
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

ive done alot of similar things, but to let u know what ppl are doing, here ya go....
.took esc out of case, wrapped w/ elect. tape and mounted it to the front steering servo
.no foams, put bb's in tires for weight, 20 in front and 12 in back
. 2s lipo
. chrome paint job

i convinced my fiance that we need a "rock garden" to make this one section next to our patio look nicer/ crawler course.
krono7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Scale Defender 110 Build:

- extended rear arms (threaded losi links from a mini t)
- aluminum tube for extended drive shaft
- brass chassis rails with shock mounts and battery basket in rear
- 2s 500mah 20c lipo
- homebuilt defender 110 camel trophy body
Krazy_Polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #12

I have done a little bit to my crawler.such as
1)r7r raptor chassis
2)losi micro brushless
3)hs55 servo
4)bent links
5)rc4wd rock crusher tires
6)weighted the front wheels with stick on weights
7)working on extended drive shafts
I also got hr shocks I'm not to impressed with those they bind alot
tcscrawler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

ive got my stock chasis tweaked in and twisted toward the center , no springs , moved shocks down 1 hole , used 1 hairtie to thread through the top holes ant tied both ends to the upper links for true droop, weighted wheels , lowered body mounts 1 hole , flipped tranny ,moved batt to rear tray, i think thats about it and none of those mods cost me any money at all ... have fun
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Modded DP chassis, 4.5inch WB, Bent links rear, wheel wideners, miniqlo's,hitec 65hb,trans flip,etc.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote