Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Budget Brushless Experiment...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

The motors you need will be 12mm in diameter, and can be up to 30mm long... No way will a Sidewinder motor fit... The motors I use are found on HobbyKing's website, and are all inexpensive... Anything that's 5000kV and lower should work well, I'm using the 4500kV Turnigy motor at the moment... but remember you will have to strip the tranny down and drill your own mount holes for the motor...
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Dude, very nice build thread! You are a very thorough and informative. I think i almost pitched a tent when i saw you're wiring job! When are you gonna post new pics? The micro I just witnessed is a whole new monster, and I know these guy's are gonna eat it up! FYI everyone watching this thread might want to bring a towel to the computer for the next round of pics
bighitbomber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, dude! This build has evolved into the "CreepyG" 4WS comp build, which is also on here... Got tired of the high CoG, so I tore it apart and started over... Brushless and 2.4ghz electreonics, along with exotic materials and my own style of fancy wiring, I'm sure it'll be pimpin' when it's done... Check it out, hope y'all like it!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Some questions please:

1) is the brushless motor running smooth enough for u?

2) any cogging?

3) is there too much speed with the 4500? or is it a nice combo for crawl and punch?

4) which pinions are you using? U have 10 and 11 tooth...plastic or metal?
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Answers for DANALLY...

1) The brushless motor is (was) running Super smooth with the Quark ESC...

2) No cogging and a really smooth throttle curve...

3) The min speed was a little slower than stock, and the max speed was a little faster too... A real good combo for crawling, punch was adequate, altho there was a delay between forward and reverse that I didn't like very well...also it made my rig too topheavy for my liking...

4) I started out with an 11T delrin pinion, then switched to a 10T delrin pinion... hardly any difference in performance, but it was the fact that I had the lowest gearing on hand that satisfied me...

If you can install this combo with a low CoG it will really perform well, the way I had it installed allowed me to keep the rig lookin clean with minimal wiring showing while still being able to run the body, but at extreme angles it had a tendency to roll over... Loved the control and power tho... Found a smaller ESC that i'm using in my new build, can't wait to see how it performs...
Old 07-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

What's the new esc? I'm waiting on my brushless motor and esc to show up in the mail.
Gvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I bought an 18Amp Car ESC from Hobbyking that I've decased and shrinkwrapped together with my RX... Check out my other thread.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #28
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=SpeedyG;2535872]Answers for DANALLY...

4) I started out with an 11T delrin pinion, then switched to a 10T delrin pinion... hardly any difference in performance, but it was the fact that I had the lowest gearing on hand that satisfied me...

Are the pinions the ones from the stock crawler kit? or were they a seperate purchase...from where? Thanks.

I ordered a 4200 motor and I have a sidewinder micro ESC. I like the sidewinder for the computer link tunability but also don't like the pause between forward and reverse. We will see how it goes.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Answer for DANALLY...

The 10T pinion came from the stock crawler kit, but I actually ordered a new kit from Ebay because the stock brushed motor has splines on the shaft which cut into the stock 10T pinion which made it loose on my Turnigy motor shaft... Had to C.A. the new 10T pinion onto the new BL motor shaft anyway to make it grip good... Has worked good ever since...
Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #30
jwo
Rock Crawler

im loving this build. makes me want to go brushless on mine. some fine work your doing. thats a micro to be proud of. great job!
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #31

hey man sorry to be such a pest and ask alot of questions. but did the motor mount up with out modifications... and can you provide me a link for that motor
thanks
perez62682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #32

nevermind i found it... but do you think a motor that is 31 mm long will work... or is the 30mm already pushing it?
thanks
perez62682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

I guess anything up to 35 or so would fit... Just be sure to leave enough room for front drive axle clearance...
Old 02-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Budget Brushless Experiment...

so to get the pinion to stay on the stock brushed motor do you just superglue it or what?

EDIT: nvm lol got it

Last edited by microcrawlers; 03-25-2015 at 11:15 AM.
microcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote