Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Brushless CF Comp Rig "CreepyG" V1.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Lightbulb Brushless CF Comp Rig "CreepyG" V1.0

Got some goodies in the mail today... Included a 300x100x1.5mm sheet of carbon fiber goodness... Proceeded to blow the Brushless Experiment apart and create something mo' better!! Tired of tippy @ss topheavyness... Seen a lot of wicked chassis designs all over this site, so I decided to fab something using the tricks I've learned on here and from past experiences... Wanted a tight and compact package with some adjustability, a lower CoG, and the option of future upgrades and improvements as time goes on... Also I still love the stock body, but I also wanted something I could be proud to take the top off of and have it still look like a badass rig... So here's what I came up with today after work...

Started off by using the stock chassis as a template for suspension mounting points and body post positions, then started sketching...

Wanted to keep my sub-110mm wheelbase for now (108mm full compression)... Seems to be quite good at the breakover on the junk I crawl on...

Kinda got a stealthy, F-117 look to it...

Masked off and traced on, ready for the scroll saw tomorrow...

Keep y'all updated on the evolution of the CreepyG as it unfolds...
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Looks like a great idea, hope it all goes well.
Boos Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

So here's what I got done today... Should give y'all some idea of what I got planned...

TVPs cut out, filed straight, edges bevelled, marked and drilled for arms and tranny mount...

Ball studs in, tranny mounted, body posts on, popped all arms into position to get an idea where shock crossmembers need to go... Much more to do... Quark might have to go in favor of a smaller ESC, like a 6 amp Vivverine (if anyone has an extra one, or knows where I can find one, please PM me)... Battery will go where I had it before, might decase the SR3500 and stuff it in there somewhere...

I gotta source some more materials... Gotta lengthen driveshafts, arms, make shock mounts, fab some cool body panels, then rewire the whole thing again ... Oh well, all in the hope of Enhanced Crawlability and Robust Performance!!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

looks good! I have to personally admit, I like smooth curves, however this appeals to me

would cutting CF be hard with a jig saw?

anyhow, love it! I need to put some money aside and really work on one of my crawlers it still has the stock chassis, so I feel like I have an excuse!
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Lookin good so far, I like the idea of being able to run it bodyless or with a body. I had the same thought when I noticed that the stock body will almost fit on my eclipse chassis. Keep the pics coming as you make progress.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Had an idea for making shock mounts today... The CF panels I used for the body weren't thick enough to drill edge-on, so I cut some narrow strips to the proper width, CA'd some smaller pieces to one side on either end to make some "meat" to drill and tap into, then filed them to the required length... marked and drilled the faces for the ball studs, then mock assembled them onto the chassis to see where they would sit... so far so good, just have to mark-disassemble-drill the TVPs then drill the sides of the shock crossmembers...

Pretty close to how it's gonna sit when i'm done...

Old 06-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Very cool car.

Nice work.

Crawling hug.
zogada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #8

That just looks sick I don't care what anyone says. I didint want to get a micro crawler but after seeing this I might just have to get one.
Dan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

that looks bad A#S! that just might have given me an idea!
losilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Received an email today that my HK order came into the post office, unfortunately i'm in Red Deer right now... I wanna play with my Outrunners!! Bought some Alum tube for the driveshafts and some shrink wrap for my ESC and Rx from the hobbyshop here, so I might actually get this thing mobile by Monday, maybe Tuesday... Got one of those Keychain cameras too, so maybe i'll get some crawl vids for y'all to see soon... Gonna be a busy evening when I get home!!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

nice looking.make sure to use some CA glue on the edges of the graphite. will keep it from delaminating.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Got some updates for y'all...

Got the power system all built for the CreepyG... Took some time but I think it'll work pretty good...

Brushless 2000kV outrunner, Turnigy 18A Car ESC, Spektrum SR3500 RX

Built it to be serviceable, using 0.8mm pin connectors, color coded for proper motor direction and ease of installation/repair if needed...

Tranny complete with 5 gram outrunner... Ain't it cute!!

ESC and receiver decased and shrinkwrapped together, making a compact and lightweight power unit...

Rx in front, ESC in the back...

Programmed and ready to go... Just have to make different crossmembers/shock mounts (CF I have is a bitch to drill and tap)...

Using the Turnigy programming card I can tweak all the settings to make this combo the slowest thing on four wheels!! Hooked it up to the front axle and dialed it in... turns less than half the speed it did with the Quark/4500kV combo I had before... Hopefully I have the ambition to build crossmembers tomorrow, then I can put 'er all back together and extend the driveshafts... Gotta build a roof and hood too, but that can wait a while... More to come, so stay tuned!!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Had a busy day yesterday, here's what I got done...

First, crossmembers... Cut-filed-marked-drilled-filed again... Three hours later...

Next, marked and drilled the TVPs...

Puttin Humpty Dumpty back together again...

Next, motivation... Tranny and ESC combo in, had to shorten up the wiring for the rear steer, used my shiny new terminal crimpers and terminal kit from HobbyKing...

Perfect crimps every time... Very nice, I like!!

Clean enough for now...

Made some extended links for the rear this morning, WB is now 120mm...

Pushin 80 degrees of articulation now... might be too much, guess i'll have to try it out...

Driveshafts are next, which means I gotta get dressed and go out to the Garage... More to come!!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Lookin great so far, I am very interested to see how you like the new brushless setup. Make sure you post up a video when you get her running!
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Lookin great so far, I am very interested to see how you like the new brushless setup. Make sure you post up a video when you get her running!
+1
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Got my driveshafts all stretched up... Cut the female side in half then epoxied it into some alum tube cut to the proper length... Then added some HolmesHobbies stickers to give 'em that cool factor...

Have to say, it crawls better than it did before, altho the extreme articulation got me into trouble a few times... may have to limit that, or else try to learn how to drive it all over again...

Made a crawl vid using a Keychain cam I got on HobbyKing, I'll have to try and post it on Youtube later today maybe.... Crawler's Eye View of the rockpile is something else indeed!!

Last edited by SpeedyG; 07-13-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Here's a crawl vid for ya... Velcro'd a keychain cam to the top of the battery and made a lap around the Pile O' Doom that I made for my AX10... Quality is kinda choppy, gonna get a better card which is supposed to make the video quality lots better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOH4hhIqxzM
Old 10-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #18

Hi My first post here

I love this build ;), and i am trying to find out what esc, motor etc you use, is it bought from hobbyking? Could you please post links, or full names?

Thank you

Best regards
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG View Post
Got some updates for y'all...

Got the power system all built for the CreepyG... Took some time but I think it'll work pretty good...

Brushless 2000kV outrunner, Turnigy 18A Car ESC, Spektrum SR3500 RX

Built it to be serviceable, using 0.8mm pin connectors, color coded for proper motor direction and ease of installation/repair if needed...

Tranny complete with 5 gram outrunner... Ain't it cute!!

ESC and receiver decased and shrinkwrapped together, making a compact and lightweight power unit...

Rx in front, ESC in the back...

Programmed and ready to go... Just have to make different crossmembers/shock mounts (CF I have is a bitch to drill and tap)...

Using the Turnigy programming card I can tweak all the settings to make this combo the slowest thing on four wheels!! Hooked it up to the front axle and dialed it in... turns less than half the speed it did with the Quark/4500kV combo I had before... Hopefully I have the ambition to build crossmembers tomorrow, then I can put 'er all back together and extend the driveshafts... Gotta build a roof and hood too, but that can wait a while... More to come, so stay tuned!!
The Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Ya dude, she's all HobbyKing aside from the Rx and servos...

motor : http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6312

ESC : http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7189

Battery : http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9028

Don't forget the programming card for the ESC : http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7187

Hope this helps!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #20

Nice, thx...

Now i have something to order when i get my next paycheck
And of course a micro for myself so i dont have to steel my sons
Think I like it more then he does hehe...
The Door is offline   Reply With Quote