RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Losi Micro-Rock Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/)
-   -   SoReal Trucks with Interco Tires on eBay Builds (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/267155-soreal-trucks-interco-tires-ebay-builds.html)

jrmbtr 08-29-2010 11:40 PM

SoReal Trucks with Interco Tires on eBay Builds

Hello,

Has anyone done a build with one of these? I've been wanting to, but the bodies are diecast. The seller also sells the tires (Interco Boggers, IROCs, TrXus) unmounted. I was hoping for input if anyone had attempting anything with these bodies/tires or tires alone.

Thank you,

JRM

jrmbtr 08-29-2010 11:49 PM

Well...looks like the bodies are on average ≈8" long, so unless I extend things that is too long. However, any input with tires would be appreciated.

spoo76 08-30-2010 04:04 PM

You will have to lengthen the links for sure
do a search in this forum and the micro forum for diecast
there has been one or two Ive seen

boohoo 08-30-2010 05:24 PM

i wouldnt bother trying to fit the body on a micro crawler there way to heavy i have one of the jackedup 55 nomads you see on ebay and they weigh too much you would end up burning out the motor or the esc/reciever trying to move the weight of the body. as for the tyres ive heard of people using them on xmod trucks with no problem

AkFordfan 08-30-2010 08:01 PM

The tires will work but they are solid urethane so there is no flex to them, i would get the rc4wd ones if i were you. plus the tire only looks good on one side, so one side of your truck looks good and the other looks like you formed the tires yourself because of the mold.

BLOODBANE 08-30-2010 08:43 PM

I used a metal Explorer body for a build, and like has been said, its way to heavy for any real crawling. It looks just like my 1.1 but thats where the similarities end. The urethane tires that are offered on E-Bay are better than the So-Reals, but the RC4WD Rox-Lox are the bomb if your wanting a scale "SWAMPER" type tire, that works.

spoo76 08-30-2010 09:06 PM

I agree I have the urethane TSL Bogger
It has a few air bubbles and only looks good on one side. its also a bit narrow for the McRC wheels
My Rc4wd Roklox and rock crushers just showed up today and look great on CAC micro six 2 wheels
tomorrow I'll mount up a set to the HR bead locks to see how they fit

jrmbtr 09-04-2010 09:39 PM

What are good recommendations for rims for the rc4wd tires?

spoo76 09-05-2010 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrmbtr (Post 2621574)
What are good recommendations for rims for the rc4wd tires?

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/search.php :p
there are only 2 tires to choose from, both are said to be better than stock
there are 2 threads about it on this page alone should be more a few pages back and in the micro scale forum

BLOODBANE 09-05-2010 08:03 AM

I just used the stock Losi wheels. There are a couple of other options out there as well(is it CAC that offers the outlaw looking wheels?). I had to reglue the RC4WD tires, but I don't plan on changing them out anytime soon.

spoo76 09-05-2010 08:19 AM

are you looking for wheels that look scale or just something to make crawling better?

I think the CAC wheels look the best on a scale modern body, though arent beadlocks and are pretty light.

the RC4WD wheels also look great and are bead locks. don't know the weight as i don't own these yet. I've read the tiny wheel nuts and hub nut are a pain to get in

the hot racing wheels are nice and heavy and have aluminum bead locks. which also fit on stock wheels
easy to assemble and should also work with the BWD wheel weights for stock wheels

the BWD wheels arent scale looking
but look awesome and have their own wheel weights that dont fit stock rims

The cheapest though lightest is making the stock losi wheels bead lock with PVC pipe. there is a how to on here somewhere

the hot racing and BWD are the heaviest. but i dont know the weight on the RC4WD

the CAC and RC4wd are the most scale looking

Hope that helps a little. im sure others will chime in with any thougts

Big Mike 09-10-2010 01:34 PM

Checking back in here after a few months away, I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the aftermarket tire/wheel choices that have developed. There is a serious mis-match going on in the Micro world.

Far and away, the body scale most commonly available for custom builds is 1:24th/1:25th scale. You can find an existing styrene kit in this scale for just about any truck you want to replicate with a Micro Crawler.

However, everyone seems hell-bent on making aftermarket wheel/tires that are a much better match for a 1:20th scale body. With the tiny exception of 2 or 3 Lindbergh kits that are not the best choices (GMC Syclone, Chevy S10, New Chevy Blazer) there is nothing available in 1:20th scale (or 1:18th either for that matter)

Someone somewhere needs to put their finger on the pulse of the Micro market. We need some smaller wheel/tire choices that will match 1:24th scale model bodies w/o looking like a monster truck. Because I can't see anyone making bigger bodies anytime soon.

These tires are made by Aoshima, Super Swampers that are actually the right size for 1:24th scale. They are marketed simply as a "dress-up" item for a 1:24th scale model kit. They are hollow, but are still a pretty hard compound. I had to use the wheels that came with them by slotting the backside to accept the axle pin w/o the hex. (the Range Rover body is also by Aoshima, 1:24th scale)

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3469/minirover1.png

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4190/minirover3.jpg

Until someone comes up with something better, the looks outweigh the performance. The performance could be worse, but it's not stellar either.

I have a set of the solid urethane tires from Ebay. My advice is don't waste your money. It's very similar to putting 4 superballs on your rig - as in, bouncy as all hell. The performance is sorely lacking. And they're just about the same diameter as stock Micro tires (too big for 1:24th scale)

I've never seen any of the SoReal tires. But from what you guys are saying, they sound like they are also unacceptable...

spoo76 09-10-2010 01:55 PM

the wheels and tires available are made with stock size in mind. this way you can use after market tires on stock wheels or aftermarket wheels with stock tires. it just so happens to be that they look best with 1/20 because of the axle with and tire size. You could blame losi but id rather see more 1/20 bodies than a smaller less capable set of axles.
there are plenty of bodies to chose from if you look at toys and static models. lindberg had about 8 1/20 scale truck bodies with various trims.
I have 8 and 3 duplicates/alternate trim. and 5 other 1/20 truck and suv bodies.
they are out there. just check the toy sections and the net

an example would be RC4WD. the Trex micro axles are almost the same width as the losi micro. but the trex nano for 1/24 bodies never became available.
I bet durability and size had something to do with it.

You could always run the urethane so real tires with the wheels that come with your 1/24 kit. however smaller wheels would get the axles hung up more

Big Mike 09-10-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoo76 (Post 2629657)
You could blame losi but id rather see more 1/20 bodies than a smaller less capable set of axles.

I completely agree with you there, 100%. The ideal solution would be more 1:20th scale body choices. I'm liking what I see tire and wheel-wise coming from RC4WD, they're just a little too big is all. My interest in the Micro is purely for scale builds. The new RC4WD tires and wheels would fit right on a 1:20th scale truck body.

I've seen guys do wonderous things with toy bodies (like a New Bright Jeep) but it is tough to buy one over the internet w/o taking a gamble that it's going to work or not. Most of them are not scaled, and even if they are it's far from accurate.

From what you say, I'm not looking hard enough for 1:20th scale bodies. We'd be in business if we wanted an F1 car, they're everywhere in 1:20th scale. Trucks are rare though. I'll keep looking...

Big Mike 09-10-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoo76 (Post 2629657)
however smaller wheels would get the axles hung up more

Yes, the small scale wheels give you no clearance. The terrain has to be "scale" as well or it's frustrating, you hang up on every little thing.

That's why I'd really like to rebuild my Micro with a 1:20th scale body and RC4WD micro beadlocks and Rock Crushers. I'm not pulling the trigger on wheels/tires w/o having a good body to use first though...