Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Micro Crawler run time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 02:12 AM   #21

Howdy,

Newbie, picked up a Losi mini crawler today. Been a blast running it around indoors, but the battery length is just killing me. Done as much research as possible but I'm new to RC anythings - the battery Pilmat listed sounded perfect, the 'Thunderpower 1S 350mAh,' ~30 minutes runtime would be sweet.

What I was hoping to know -
  • Will that fit on the rear axle, like the stock battery does (moved it from the stock location)?
  • Will running 3.7 volts vs the stock 4.8 affect anything? Not like this needs to go fast at all.
  • Will the plug require modification?
  • What is the cheapest decent wall (AC) charger I can find for the Thunderpower battery? Nobody seems to list links for actually buying these things, and my google-fu is failing me.
Thanks in advance.
Merkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkur View Post
  • Will that fit on the rear axle, like the stock battery does (moved it from the stock location)?
  • Will running 3.7 volts vs the stock 4.8 affect anything? Not like this needs to go fast at all.
  • What is the cheapest decent wall (AC) charger I can find for the Thunderpower battery? Nobody seems to list links for actually buying these things, and my google-fu is failing me.
Thanks in advance.
Onboard hoping for a good answer. Back when I was into helicopters and airplanes a few years ago there was a serious fire threat from overcharging, over discharging etc etc, worried me so much I charged in my fireplace . Do the new hobby packs cure this or is there still some minor, obscure threat that I'll have a flaming pack on my hands!?
sforsancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
RCC Addict

whats the max size battery i can use one the micro quick charger?
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Howdy,

Newbie, picked up a Losi mini crawler today. Been a blast running it around indoors, but the battery length is just killing me. Done as much research as possible but I'm new to RC anythings - the battery Pilmat listed sounded perfect, the 'Thunderpower 1S 350mAh,' ~30 minutes runtime would be sweet.

YES
NO, It will run fine, but will not have the LIPO cutoff
YES.
I purchased a cheap 1s wall charger off thEBay for like $12 shipped from HONG KONG. Seems to work well
This one is even in the US... Same Charger
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Heli-Max-1S-...item5adc837fa4

Thanks in advance.
Yup
jevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #25

How long does the cheap-o wall charger take to charge it? Would a premium charger charge it any better or any faster?

Does the charge completed LED work as it should?

Thanks in advance
sforsancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

It depends on the battery as fas as charge times go, but you would want to get a battery that is close to 400mah for this charger. I would say charge times would be around an hour

A premium charger will not charge a 3.7v any better than this because there is only 1 cell and no need for balancing

The charge light indicator LED works as it should

Last edited by jevyguy; 10-13-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: type'o
jevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #27

ran into some 'issues' with this - picked up the Thunderpower 350 mAh 1 cell, got the plug swapped out to fit the LOSI, plugged it in, and the ESC / receiver started smoking within about 5 seconds, without even having turned it on. any ideas what I did wrong? don't have the original battery (poached the plug for it), not sure if I've buggered the ESC completely, don't want to try plugging the Thunderpower back in again.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

You sure you got the pos and neg leads hooked up right when you put the connector on the battery?
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #29

think so, don't know how you could mess up red and black. had a guy at hobbytown solder them. here's pics. opened up the esc case, looks like it's burnt toast.
and, case it helps diagnose -
thunderpower battery
heli-max charger

what the hell did i do wrong??
Old 11-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #30

I don't know a whole lot about crawlers but I have been doing electric rc helis for 10+ years. I just got my Losi mrc yesterday and am also disappointed with the run times. My plan is to get myself a couple of the ZIPPY 240mAh 20C single cell batteries. and to add some connectors. I have been using zippy lipos of my helis for years and never had a bad battery pack. from small 100mah for stuff like the blade msr to big 6S 4000mah packs for my swift 16. And for $1.82 it'll be worth it to try. as for a charger I am either going to get a celectra 4 port or the thunder power 4 port charger and open them up to add connectors. this way I can charge 4 packs at a time and the charger is only $37.
helifrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
think so, don't know how you could mess up red and black. had a guy at hobbytown solder them. here's pics. opened up the esc case, looks like it's burnt toast.
and, case it helps diagnose -
To be honest I would take it back to Hobbytown, if all you did was plug in the battery and that happened I would say they did something wrong.

I was looking at the connector that is on the battery and was wondering why there is heat shrink by the plug, there isn't any there usually and makes me suspicious. I would cut it off and have a peek to make sure they didn't swap the wires in the plug on accident by matching it up with the plug on the ESC.

Either that or the battery itself was wired incorrectly internally and would be the batteries fault.

One way or the other take it back.

Last edited by dockman; 11-09-2010 at 05:02 PM.
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

why didnt you just put a jst connector on the rig? i guess that woulda been too easy
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #33

Got this resolved today. I had a guy at the hobby shop tell me it was a better practice to swap the plugs on the ESC, rather than on the battery. I'm not 100% sure if that was the issue, but I took the shrink wrap off and the Thunder Power wires were significantly thicker than those on the Losi plug, it could have been the necking down that was a problem. Or crummy soldering, I'm not sure.

Anyhow, got a new battery (same one as before), new ESC, swapped the plugs on that, and it's all working nicely now. Lasted about 20 minutes on my first run today, and still had juice left.

Thanks to everyone for the previous help.

(Link to build thread over on Scale 4x4: http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55449)
Old 01-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
stock batt 10 min max

240 2S Lipo 16-20 min

350 2S Lipo 20-25 min

450 1S Lipo 30+ min

450 1S2P Lipo 60+ min
could you put a link up hear to where you can buy the 60 min run time battery for micro crawler
ben'smicrocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #35

how much about for 450 1S Lipo and charger?

Last edited by RCrally; 01-03-2011 at 06:08 AM.
RCrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #36

I have no clue about lipo batts except the videos I've seen on youtube. But I can't stand the stock pack anymore. Whats a good, easy and safe setup for a micro? Charger and batt?
evilunclefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilunclefred View Post
I have no clue about lipo batts except the videos I've seen on youtube. But I can't stand the stock pack anymore. Whats a good, easy and safe setup for a micro? Charger and batt?
Which charger please...

1s Lipo?

advice for lipo

lipo chrger

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB0862
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote