Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Micro Crawler run time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Losi Micro Crawler run time?

Anybody know what the run time is on the Losi Micro Crawler?

Thanks and happy trails

Mike S
MikeSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

On the stock battery it is only like 5-10 min. I haven't tried my LiPo in it yet but i know it doubled the run time in my Micro DT so i would expect similar results with the crawler.
megaherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

stock batt 10 min max

240 2S Lipo 16-20 min

350 2S Lipo 20-25 min

450 1S Lipo 30+ min

450 1S2P Lipo 60+ min
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It looks like a couple of 1S 450's in parallel is the way to go. The use is for both trail driving and for climbing and descending crawling. The smaller the vehicle the longer the trail seems and the bigger the rock piles seem.

Any advice on setting up the micro for this use? Forgot, it won't be used for bashing.
MikeSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The problem I have found with that battery set up is that the pack ends up pretty large.....3.7v tends to be quite slow for some guys......and your motor gets hot and you hands get tired long before the hour is up
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
The problem I have found with that battery set up is that the pack ends up pretty large.....3.7v tends to be quite slow for some guys......and your motor gets hot and you hands get tired long before the hour is up
I agree with Dogbreath, after around 30 mins of run time the motor is quite hot and the driver could use a break too.

I'm getting 30+ min with a Thunderpower 1S 350mAh (that drains it down to about 3.5-3.4 volts, so very safe), but the motor is quite hot. Its not hot enough to burn you but you can barely hold your finger on it.

The thing I like about the 350 is that it is small, just a little longer than stock but thinner and a couple of grams lighter. It fits really well up against the transfer case on the BWD chassis.

Phil.
pilmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
I'm getting 30+ min with a Thunderpower 1S 350mAh (that drains it down to about 3.5-3.4 volts, so very safe)
Man.. Can't wait to get my McRC.. I have six of the new Thunderpower 1s 45C 325mah's.. and a pair of the 2s versions..

These things have MAD kick and voltage sag simply does not happen..

~Kev
Darksiede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So if I want to run a 1s battery instead of a 2s that I currently run, do I have to do anything different with the ESC or is it automatic when I plug it in?
jevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevyguy View Post
So if I want to run a 1s battery instead of a 2s that I currently run, do I have to do anything different with the ESC or is it automatic when I plug it in?
just plug in it & go.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevyguy View Post
As T-buck says, it's just plug and go. One note though is that the LiPo cutoff is ONLY for 2S (7.4V nominal) and will not work for 1S, so you have to stop yourself before the battery gets too low (3.0 V is the lowest you should run a 1S). Err on the cautious side for the first couple of runs and measure the pack voltage, and use Dogbreath's guide for run times of your size of pack.

When I ran the 1S I was concerned about servo power, but I cannot tell the difference between the 20C pack and the stock NiMh. As far as I'm concerned it is the ideal voltage for these rigs.

Phil.
pilmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
As T-buck says, it's just plug and go. One note though is that the LiPo cutoff is ONLY for 2S (7.4V nominal) and will not work for 1S, so you have to stop yourself before the battery gets too low (3.0 V is the lowest you should run a 1S). Err on the cautious side for the first couple of runs and measure the pack voltage, and use Dogbreath's guide for run times of your size of pack.

When I ran the 1S I was concerned about servo power, but I cannot tell the difference between the 20C pack and the stock NiMh. As far as I'm concerned it is the ideal voltage for these rigs.

Phil.
Good to know, thanks you
Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Not to jack the thread, but does anyone know how much running some LEDs will effect run time (4-10 3mm LEDs and a 180mah LiPo)? Will they drain a noticeable amount when running a battery with such low mah?
redmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I doubt you would even notice much difference, if any at all.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Was wondering how long these would last running in 1s2p and if anyone knows a guide on how to wire them up properly.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7568
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustykaos View Post
Was wondering how long these would last running in 1s2p and if anyone knows a guide on how to wire them up properly.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7568
Not long, those batteries are cheap for a reason.. I have 20 on my shelf!

They are lucky to have 180mah capacity, and don't cope well at all over 1.5 amps.. I'm not sure what the micro pulls, but I'd look at the TP 1s & 2S 325mah's for $12 to $16 a pop well before I'd waste my time with these..

~Kev
Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksiede View Post
Not long, those batteries are cheap for a reason.. I have 20 on my shelf!

They are lucky to have 180mah capacity, and don't cope well at all over 1.5 amps.. I'm not sure what the micro pulls, but I'd look at the TP 1s & 2S 325mah's for $12 to $16 a pop well before I'd waste my time with these..

~Kev
As good as the TP are they are still too big physically to fit in the micro battery compartment.

At $1.60 a cell I might give them a go. Even if it only gets 180mah per cell running in parallel shound give me about 360mah which will last a lot longer than stock battery.
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #17

Noob here.... i know it.

i hope you dont mind me asking a quick question.

i found on ebay a 1320mah 2s Thunder Power (TP1320-2sjpl) and was wondering if this would be a good battery for long runs ( i get bored at work) im going to be making my crawler into a scaler so the size doesnt matter to me.

Really just wondering if theres just a "too much" line that i shouldnt cross

Last edited by JuiceBoxBully; 09-16-2010 at 06:48 PM.
JuiceBoxBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceBoxBully View Post
Noob here.... i know it.

i hope you dont mind me asking a quick question.

i found on ebay a 1320mah 2s Thunder Power (TP1320-2sjpl) and was wondering if this would be a good battery for long runs ( i get bored at work) im going to be making my crawler into a scaler so the size doesnt matter to me.

Really just wondering if theres just a "too much" line that i shouldnt cross
On the MICRO, that battery is huge.. to big really.. Body would not fit and you'd have to use some velcro strap or such to mount it even.

On a MINI, it would be sketchy to fit into the stock battery tray.. To big to mount on the steering servo for sure..

~Kev
Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #19

ok i have 1/18th rigs as well is it a good battery? there selling them for a little under $6 i just have a hard time passing them up
JuiceBoxBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Thunder power is a great battery.. I'm guessing it is old stock they are moving, a generation or 2 out of the bleeding edge..

Regardless, for beginner comp/bashing.. any TP battery is better then most no-name chinese imports.. I run TP on most of my stuff, but haven't invested to heavily with them for my crawler yet.. Only had it a week lol..

~Kev