Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Switch to LiPo and now having problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #1

Default Switch to LiPo and now having problems

Let me start by saying, i have posted this on another forum but seem to be getting no help there, so let me try here. i have been using Common Sense RC 3.7 volt 400mAh 20c batteries in my micro for quite a while now. Run times were amazing, but since the batteries are only 3.7 volts I am guessing the low voltage cutoff is not working cause it doesnt know Im using lipo, so i think I destroyed the batteries cause the run times are getting shorter and shorter.

So today i decided to get some new batteries but instead of running them the same way i was i decided to try to to parallel two packs to get the 7.4 volts needed to let the ESC/reciever know i was running lipo. So i made a Y-adapter and it was working great for a few minutes, a little fast but i was gonna just change the pinion gear to slow it down a little bit. so i kept crawling the way it was to see if the low voltage cutoff was working......

This is where th problems started, first the motor started getting really hot, which i figured was not to big of a deal since i was running more voltage through it. Then another problem, the motor sounded like it was spinning hard but the truck wasnt moving, seems like the pinion is slipping on the pinion shaft. and then came problem number three, which is the one that concerns me the most. The when the truck is turned on the steering goes back and forth left to right non stop. I tried running just one battery and it still does the same thing.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to give you guys all the details.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer
1/4milecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

Stock is 4.8 volts, sounds like you put too much voltage through the system and cooked some electronics...

Edit:
They do offer 7.4 volt packs at 180mah... Still sounds like a power issue to me...

BEC?

Last edited by TURTLE; 11-29-2010 at 12:20 AM.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

your stock servo went bad prob just coinsidense those are crap to start with cuz the internal beck only runs 5 v to the servo so it was only .2v more than nimh otherwise all you did is wear out the slip on pinion use a little ca glue and its on for good ...also your motor got hot cuz it ran more than 10 mins like it did on your stock batt so all you need is a better servo and a drop of ca glue
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The stock motors are a big problem for alot of people after going LIPO, they get really hot after a few minutes. I run 2s on mine, but only run it 5 minutes at a time to comp.

A good upgrade motor is the atomic bb2 for the micro t's and whatnot.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

my stocker was just too fast after going lipo so i had getbent wind me an 80t bbv2 and it stopped doin wheelies
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #6

OK well today i decided to hook the batteries back up (first just one battery, then both at once) and the servo did the same thing for about 15 seconds then stopped, now it seems to be working fine. Gonna order a new servo, probably the HiTec one.

Gonna take it apart now and check the pinion and the slipper to see where the slipping is. guess ill switch the pinion gear anyway to try and slow it back down since the switch to lipo.

What can i do for a motor? is there a brushed option? What brushless/ESC/ reciever combos are you guys running?
1/4milecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #7

i havent heard of many going brushless and with mine i have a 2s ozone heli battery that i use and i only went through 1 motor and i stayed stock now im running for 30 + mins and its not warm and my crawler wieghs well oveer 10 ozs
fishermon7 is offline   Reply With Quote