Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Worm gear binding.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Worm gear binding.

I recently removed my motor and was spining my transmission by hand and noticed that every three or so turns of my spur gear the drivetrain binds up, anyway i traced the problem to my front axle and it's in my worm drive. It only binds going forward so I switched my front axle with the rear. That way now it only binds in reverse which will have to do until I get my replacement gears in a few days. I was just wondering if anybody on here has had any problems with their axles doing the same thing. Also what kind of grease would you recommend. Thanks
sid lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I have only ever heard of the trans gears binding, sounds like you are the lucky one that got the binding axle lol. Since it is a locked diff there is no need for a super heavy grease, I just use run of the mill RC grease just to make sure everything runs smooth.
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

That sucks, I havent heard of any axle problems to date. Like dockman said, I've only seen binding in the transmission. Make sure to let us know what you find out with it.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I seen someone have a problem, he glued his servo or some battery mount and glue got down in the gear, possible hair or dirt got lucky enough to get inside and lock it up? Or your wheel is on tight and binding?
Mav68erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #5

I actually had a bad sun gear in my brand new mrc it was 3wd instead of 4wd they sent me a brand new gear set to fix it
custom_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

So I threw everything back together last night and put a fresh battery (2s 180mah) in and ran it on my course and it still binds up bad enough that it heated the motor up too hot to touch and killed the battery in less than five minutes. Will the vertex wheels bind up if they are too tight or is it just the stock wheels? I will have to look at it when I get time. I will also post pics of the worm gear when I put the new one in, it had tons of metal shavings in the case and allot of wear on the worm gear itself. It shouldn't be binding going forward though. Frustrating!
sid lives is offline   Reply With Quote