Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: A new project has begun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default A new project has begun

NEW VERSION POST 20

So after I finished up making my aluminium body for my pinch chassis I realized I have a fair amount of derlin left over. I decided to make use of it so a design came to mind for a chassis and I decided to try and see if I could make it work. So far I have the chassis plates cut out, still need to cut out the windows and drill the holes. Make the hood, roof, and side plates from aluminium, and make the cross members. I will update this thread as I make progress. Oh yea it is white delrin and I plan to dye it red once I know it all fits.

Here is the pic of one of the chassis plates next to my drawing, let me know what you think. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Last edited by dockman; 01-31-2011 at 08:43 PM.
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockman View Post
So after I finished up making my aluminium body for my pinch chassis I realized I have a fair amount of derlin left over. I decided to make use of it so a design came to mind for a chassis and I decided to try and see if I could make it work. So far I have the chassis plates cut out, still need to cut out the windows and drill the holes. Make the hood, roof, and side plates from aluminium, and make the cross members. I will update this thread as I make progress. Oh yea it is white delrin and I plan to dye it red once I know it all fits.

Here is the pic of one of the chassis plates next to my drawing, let me know what you think. Sorry for the blurry pic.
looking good
where did you buy your material from ?
ben'smicrocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben'smicrocrawler View Post
looking good
where did you buy your material from ?
Not sure where he got his, but I get all the material I need from www.mcmastercarr.com
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Snagged my delrin cheap off of ebay. Putting the finishing touches on the side plates, just 2 more windows to cut out and onto the cross members. As long as I don't fall asleep I should have this finished to the point I can test it.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looks like a great start, looks small and compact. Ill be watching this one to see how it comes out. Its great what you can do with just handtools on these small crawlers, and pretty cheap too!
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Dockman, will you be narrowing this chassis too? About 1/4" - 3/8" of an inch is obtainable. Just seems like a good mod to try since you'll be making new x-members, etc.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I dyed my DP Torsion red, looks sick.
Krawln68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I think the layout is great and the length is short and compact. I like it. I will be checking back on it.
crawlerknownothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I have made some progress, got the panels mostly done and it all assembled. I still have a few tweaks to make to finish it up, trim up the front and drill a few holes in the back. I had to move the suspension mounting point due to clearance and height.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Looks great! Will be awesome when you get it all finished up.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Another great job "Dockman" your gonna have to slow down a bit... Isn't this like the 2nd chassis this week??

I see a new Avatar picture coming.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Heh, cant make the stuff fast enough to get the ideas out my head.

More work has been done, I had to trim the front some for clearance. Not exactly how I wanted it to look but works for me. Also did a little work to the rear of the chassis plates so there wasn't so much blank space. Made a roof already and am about to make a hood. Once I got everything made it is time to buy some red dye and make it all perdy.

Here are a few pics for now as it stands atm.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Just about done, got the hood finished if it can be called that lol. Also decided to see about reusing the side panels off of my last chassis adventure so I trimmed them to fit. Over all I am pretty happy with the results, just need to put some screws into the hood and roof to keep them in their place then it is time for dye!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

do you have a link to where your got your derlin from ebay thanks
looking mint, if you dont want your other chassis then remember that i am willing to have them lol
Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Got the delrin here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT I bought 3mm thickness since I originally was just planning to use it as cross members. Worked pretty good as chassis plates but 2mm would prob be a more suitable thickness, I just went with what I had on hand since it was my first go at making a chassis from scratch.

I managed to get it all buttoned up and ready for some testing, ended up making new side plates just so they fit better. As long as it works as good as I am hoping it will I will be heading to town to buy some red dye.

Here are a few pics of it all done and ready to be tested.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

That turned out great. I'm glad to see someone using the exact same software that I use. Good old pencil and paper.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks TruckerBrad. I have always done all my design work the old fashioned way, I have CAD but got used to paper and pencil back in the day when I took drafting courses.

I did some testing and it does great, good flex and goes over stuff with ease. Overall I am pretty satisfied with the results and look forward to getting it all dyed red. I will obviously put some new pics up once its done.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Well last night I had the great idea to perfect my design a little bit so I ended up making some new chassis plates. Changed the suspension mounting points a little bit, lengthened the front a hair, and shortened the rear a smidge. Once I have it all finished up new pics will be up.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockman View Post
Well last night I had the great idea to perfect my design a little bit so I ended up making some new chassis plates. Changed the suspension mounting points a little bit, lengthened the front a hair, and shortened the rear a smidge. Once I have it all finished up new pics will be up.
you will be perfecting it for a long time
waiting on the pictures :P
Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Alright, so I finally finished up the new chassis parts. I changed the spot the suspension mounted to, lengthened the front a little bit, and shortened the rear. Also made the windows different and like them better now. Overall vast improvement over version 1, slightly lower CG from lower it in general, the change in the suspension made a nice difference also, a little smoother. Looks wise I think it is better proportioned front to rear, version 1 was to short in front and to long out back. I am extremely pleased with version 2 and I don't feel the need to change anything on it other than its colour.

On with the pics!