Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Noob Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Noob Questions

Hi all. Just picked up a Micro Crawler (my first venture into rc cars/trucks. fly planes & helis) cause i've been wanting something to play w/ inside the house and when i found these they looked so cool I had to give it a try.

So I've played w/ it for a day now and have been reading some mod posts and I'm hoping someone can explain the benefit of a couple mods I've seen so I can determine if I should try them.

1. Removing shock springs (think this is called droop?). So I can see it would lower the chassis but why is this good and is there a negative to do this?

2. Moving the battery to either the front or the back of the chassis along with the esc. Seems like it lowers CoG but what does that do for it for it? Keep it from topping over when crawling high angles?

3. Adding weights to the tires. I'm assuming this is so the tires have more grip?

4. Using beadlock (no idea what this is)?

I'm sure these probably are very basic questions but bear w/ me! Thanks for the help! Loving this little thing!
netsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Removing the springs, moving the battery to the rear plate, and decasing the esc and putting on the servo all help with COG and those mods alone will help the truck a lot. Adding weight improves grip and helps keep the truck planted.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
1. Removing shock springs (think this is called droop?). So I can see it would lower the chassis but why is this good and is there a negative to do this?
W/the stock chassis(set-up) it is very top heavy, Droop helps keep it settled better. Unless you start messing w/spring set up.

Quote:
2. Moving the battery to either the front or the back of the chassis along with the esc. Seems like it lowers CoG but what does that do for it for it? Keep it from topping over when crawling high angles?
Lower your cog, Put weight where you want it.

Quote:
3. Adding weights to the tires. I'm assuming this is so the tires have more grip?
Grip & like stated keep wheels planted.

Quote:
4. Using beadlock (no idea what this is)?
Beadlock wheels... All around better wheels that hold tires to the wheel without the wheel spinning in the tire when throttle is applied.

Go Packers
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys. I removed the springs and added a little weight to the front & back of the crawler by adding 7g lead weight on top of the servo & rear mounting plate. Crawler is a lot less tippy and the wheels seem to make more contact with the ground due to the lack of spring so I can see how this helps. Seems like the only downside so far is that theres lower ground clearance w/o springs.

T-Buck - Packers all the way!
netsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote