Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: A Few Easy Questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

Thumbs up A Few Easy Questions...

Hello there,
I'm a newbie around here obviously, and I have a few quick questions.
I'm going to buy the MRC soon, probably within the next month, but before I do, I need to know a few things.

1. Are there any upgrades that are nessisary?
2. If I were to run it in snow, would it run afterwords if dried?
3. Is LiPo nessisary?
4. Is there any specific tools I will need when creating and mounting my Diecast scaler body?

Thank you,
XO
XeroedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroedOut View Post
Hello there,
I'm a newbie around here obviously, and I have a few quick questions.
I'm going to buy the MRC soon, probably within the next month, but before I do, I need to know a few things.

1. Are there any upgrades that are nessisary?
2. If I were to run it in snow, would it run afterwords if dried?
3. Is LiPo nessisary?
4. Is there any specific tools I will need when creating and mounting my Diecast scaler body?

Thank you,
XO
1. Theres alot of easy free mods to do to make it handle alot better, check the mod bible at the top.
2. depends, I wouldnt but thats just me.
3. No but its alot better, longer run time
4a. Diecast is gonna be really heavy, if you just wanna tool around on the floor and over this or that it will work for a non static model. But if you wanna climb rocks with different articulation angles it will flip easily.
4b. Tools, depends on how you are gonna mount it, you may need to make a new frame need plastic metal glues drill, drill bits 1/32 if you are gonna use the stock hardware, it all depends on how you go about it. If your just gonna throw the body on the stock frame the wheel base may or may not line up. So your gonna have to make extended links/drive shafts.
Mav68erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick input.
I heard removing the springs for a "droop" setup is nessisary.
I don't think I would either, but if I wanted to I'd probably increase the ground clearance before I did.
Hmm, so plastic or lexan scaled models would work?
I think I will try and find a body that will fit the wheelbase without modification. This will be my first crawler, the only other RC I own is a Rustler VXL, and I usually try to avoid modding it.

Again, thanks for the input.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

the toyz.com has some lexan bodies a bronco and a pick up truck and a beetle. from dogbreathracing. The Cheap walmart newbright bodies work with some modding.

Personally I think its easier, to keep the stock crawler a buggy type looking crawler that it is with modding this and that, because to have a real scaler you need to have a frame that fits the body and really work the llinks so it doesnt look like you just dropped a body on it. Usually when I see the stock truck with a scale body on it, it looks like a monster truck with small narrow tires.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #5

Hmmm, alright then. So regardless I will be doing some modding. And yeah, I'd love to make it a scaler, It's probably a lot of work, but it definately pays off from the looks of those scalers
Old 02-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Heres a diecast body, the springs are off so it doesnt wobble about a weeks worth of getting and figuring out where to mount the lengths to clear, but will be getting changed and need to make a mount for the servo to mount it vertical instead of horizontal to clear the frame rails.

the rims are stock cut and flipped to make them wider, they look about the right width for the truck, they just need to be about 2-3mm taller but I guess its a street/offroad scaler

Old 02-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #7

Lipo no, removing the springs no though weaker ones might help out a bit allowing it to articulate more. Using losi mini t steering links(2 sets) will be better then the stock links, you can change the wheelbase with them, and they provide more room since they are smaller diameter and can go further before hitting.

Check out my W.I.P. Micro and you can see how I relocated some stuff on the back end, it really helped out. Alot of people put the battery on the rear and receiver on the front, but the battery weighs more and makes a bigger difference up front keeps it from flipping.
fantacmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #8

You may be interested in waiting for the losi micro scaler to come out. It will probably need less modding to have a nice scale body to fit. Just a thought.
Fixy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Looks Great! You could buy the new micro scaler but what fun is that. i think what you are doing is the true "Hobby" part of this Hobby. Can't wait to see it finished.
RCOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #10

Thank you all for your input.

Mav68erick

That looks pretty sick, keep up the great work.