Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: unimog scaler - 1st built

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #1

Default unimog scaler - 1st built

Hi All,

So, as of today I have (almost) finished building my first micro scaler. The body I went for is a Unimog from Revell 1:35 scale.

I tried to use a slightly modified chassis from the kit, but the plastic was really fragile, plus I didn't like how the body sit on it (angled).

I've decided to look for a remedy in a local hobby store. The next day I picked up some styrene strips to make my own chassis. It was a great material to work with, and after some time I came up with a pretty good product. To fit the cabin and the bed I used thin pieces of metal glued into the chassis front (for the cabin) and base of the bed (for the cab).

Strong mini-magnets (thank you Wal-Mart) I fixed to the front of the cabin, and one of each side of the cab. Surprisingly it does a pretty good job, the cabin/cab are easily detachable, but the magnets are strong enough to keep them from shifting/falling even when roll-over on a pretty rough surface.

Due to the winter season and the fact that it gets dark pretty much right after I come back from work, I figured that adding some lights would be a useful and good looking feature.

I ended up moving the battery to the rear axle, cutting the springs short, and finally - putting some icing on the cake - paint.

As of right now I'm still waiting for my lipo battery I ordered a while ago. Eventually my new lipo battery will end up on the servo to power the motor, and the stock battery will power the lights (operated via a separate switch). That way I'm hoping to achieve a better weight ratio and lower the COG without adding useless weight on the model.

What do you think?
shaybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Looking good, I've been keeping my eyes open for a unimog body myself.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
rik
RCC Addict

this turned out excellent...
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGGOZ CRAWLERZ View Post
Your pictures gave my computer a virus
good one.

@ rik - thanks man, I've tried ;)

@ T-buck - I've seen some unimog bodies out there available in various scale. Let me know if u want some links. Also Mercedes G230 body from revell looks pretty sweet. I was hesitating between those two.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Scale Detail Engineering

that is nice, good job.
what lights are those and what are they running on?
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
that is nice, good job.
what lights are those and what are they running on?
these are standard LED's (7cd white front and 120mcd red back) I picked up from radioshack with a few resistors and a 22AWG wire. Front is connected in series and back parallel - all hooked to the main power supply, but when I get my lipo battery they will be on a dedicated ps (stock battery) with a on/off switch.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
rik
RCC Addict

man, i cant keep from looking at this rig. i love it. mog's are the cat's @$$... i am surprised at how well the 1:35 lined up with the micro. so i got a few ?'s for ya.

is the micro stock wheel base, or close to stock wheel base?
how much was the revell mog kit?

oh and my wife's gonna be pissed at you. cuz, now i am gonna have to make my micro LR2 into a micro mog. i'm tellin' her it's your fault....

take care,
rik
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #8

Where are the unimog axles?? That's what I wanted to see!!! Haha!!

Nice work!!
Mud-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

rik: the entire base is stock minus the springs (have to take them off or cut because it ll look like $hit). As far as fitting the body onto the base its not so bad, the most important thing you have to do is to line up and widen the fenders - I used a credit card as a material for it, works great
The mog kit itself runs for about 20$ on either ebay or amazon, or local hobby shop if you are lucky.
As far as your wife goes, tell her its better to stay occupied with working on a new model than to go to the bar, get wasted and get in the fight - mine totally gets it

mud-nut: no unimog axles, entire base is pure losi painted black :P
Old 02-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
rik
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaybeer View Post
As far as your wife goes, tell her its better to stay occupied with working on a new model than to go to the bar, get wasted and get in the fight - mine totally gets it
oh, she get's it. it's just that i own 17 rc's including 5 rock crawlers. (a micro, a 1.9 scaler, a 2.2 scaler, a 2.2 comp rig, and a super class comp rig) combined with the fact that i literally just gone done making my micro into a LR2 from a truggy...oh, when does the madness stop. these micro's are worse than crack. you can do so much with so little. so now i'm off to ebay....many thanks and keep up the good work..
Old 02-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #11

Here is a little video of my scaler I took yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVHYUwv62yk
Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
man, i cant keep from looking at this rig. i love it. mog's are the cat's @$$... i am surprised at how well the 1:35 lined up with the micro....
x2.................Sweet, I love Mogs and love what you've done with it here!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote