Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Axle Extenders??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #1

Default Axle Extenders??????

Ok here's the deal, I got a new body today, that is awesome, LOVE it. It's longer and wider though. It's too small however for a scaler if built on a mini crawler so not going to buy one of those for it. The tires from the Micro are PERFECT. I can handle the length department easy. I just need to get the axles wider. About another 1-1.5 inches. For an exact measurement I'd have to well measure it later. Anyone have any idea's? I've heard that there is a company that makes axle extenders for these things, which is fine. I'd rather have something stronger then that, but if that's what's out there then that is what's out there.
fantacmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

dont think you will get an inch..... more like 5mm per side BWD Bullet Proof Micro Widener Kits!
stroker613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

the mini QLo might be worth it for the axles when you consider you can use the ECU,motor,servo,and trans as well. no different than any other crawler to scaler conversion. then just get some Micro crawler wheels and tires and try to get them on the qlo axles

just a theory, but I think i have seen Micro crawler wheels on qlo axles somewhere b4
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #4

Ok I was actually referring to overall not per side, not sure if that was noticeable or not so just thought I'd clarify. Here's a couple of pictures of the existing axle+tires sitting on the body. I want the tires to actually go into the wheel wells if I were to compress it so the width has to be just right.

I know it's not going to be a big super monster tired scaler, but it's not what I'm after yet. This is supposed to look like something rather mild, similar to what my 1:1 truck is. I have an 82 Datsun sitting on 33's. Not sure what the scale size of these tires would be, but they look great with modeling just a modest scale lift, of maybe about 4-6 inches. I know y'all understand exactly what I'm looking to get.

Anyway here are a couple of pics so y'all might get a better idea of the kind of width I'm looking to gain.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Wow! That's alot of real estate to match!!! Maximum width you are gonna get is 4 1/4" with any of the available spacers and Miclaw tires. What width is that rig fender well to fender well?
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #6

4.45 on the outer wheel wells, and 2.83 on the inners.

Gonna stick with the tires I have. If I end up having to make something from scratch to do this I will. I have the ability to make the axle tubes, and even the axle shafts, but the shafts would be tougher, especially drilling the axle pin holes, though I might be able to get a buddy to drill those holes but it's not likely.

My thought is instead of making longer shafts that the wheels bolt onto is if I have to extend the axle tubes, and then the inner shafts that go into the what would be the diff if it had one. Might be easier, will have to tear it down a bit to take a look. I was wondering if there might be an easier way.

If I added the 5mm per side for a total of 10mm, and add that to what I have now, and then convert it to inches, the outer edges of the tires would be at 3.83 inches, and the inner edges at 2.8 inches. VERY close on the inner edge, and not quite enough on the outer edges. May have to consider new shafts.

After checking up on the Mioniqlo(aside from not having the doughf or one) the axles are too wide, and to get them to fit I'd need much larger wheels and tires which would defeat the purpose and I'd have to use a different body, which I do have, but it's not something I'm interested in building just yet. I do plan to build the other body eventually off of a Mini Crawler which is the perfect size but not for this. Some AM axles look to be the right width, but not ready to drop the price of a brand new crawler or more on some aluminum axles.

I have some ability to do some milling and fabrication with what I have here. If I could do blueprints worth a poop, I could easily have some parts rapid prototyped locally for a fairly decent price.

Last edited by fantacmet; 03-09-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

You could mod the stock wheels to maybe fit that width. Not sure who did it, but someone cut the wheel in half at the center and made the inside the outside. This and the wideners might get you there. The wheel scrub when turning would be horrible though and probably hit the fenders or wheel wells.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #8

Was thinking I could always make a wider set of those wheel wideners myself, Crawlerx makes a set that add 6mm per side which would get me the inner width but not the outer and it would look goofy as hell. Pretty sure I could make wider ones without issue, but like you said the wheel scrub would be horrid. Maybe going both routes might work. Use some axle wideners, and widing the axle tubes and shafts just a tad would work ok. Gonna be a PITA with this body, but I REALLY want to do it, and I wann stick with the losi stuff as I don't want to have to end up getting all new electronics and such and deal with drag brakes, yada yada. Kind of addicted to the worm drives LOL.

Probably before I go any further building/painting up this body and making all kinds of tubular stuff for it, I'm gonna have to see if I can get the axles to the right width. With the axle wideners on the market, I don't have to go very far making longer shafts and axle tube extenders.

If anyone has any idea's aboutg the shafts themselves it would be awesome. I measured the hex part where they go into the axle at .063" and about 1.67mm. Then there is the ball on the end with the pin going through it. The ball would be the toughest part I think, as I would have to find a way to attach something instead of using it as a single piece. The biggest bitch about it is, with those wideners I really don't need to add much to the tubes or shafts. 1/8th of an inch tops I think should get me there with those wideners. Of course if I just widen the axle more I don't have to worry about the wideners, or scrub.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

here are some extended axles

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54188

I cant find the wheel mod thread but theres a good look at what they turn out like in this 1. Add some spacers and you mite get

close.http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58930
willy1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #10

Extending the axles tubes with brass is pretty much what I had in mind, but with aluminum.

Never thought about extending the internal driveshafts, though not sure how you would get the tubing to stick to that though. Soldering but that'd be alot of risk getting it off kilter a bit which could screw things up quite a bit considering the location.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

You and this guy should have a chat.....
Big,Little H1 Buggy
Old 03-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have a 1/20 fullsize truck body that's a bit wider than the lindbergs. the axles with wheels sit just like yours in fact.
the BWD extensions did just the trick.

if you want a bit more then there is always the option of the wide offset wheel mod like Danally posted
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...ighlight=widen

and from what I read the losi 4x4 trail trekker gets its wider stance from a thicker hex and longer axle shafts. if that is true it should also work with the BWD extensions making for a pretty wide axle even without wide offset wheels.
the 4x4 trekker is now available so the parts should show up soon.
My only concern would be with all the extra width on the steering axle after the knuckles. it could see it maybe causing steering issues with the body or extra wear on the servo
Old 03-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #13

^ yea that plus some wheel wideners should do it.... like this guy:

Last edited by hard_rock; 03-11-2011 at 01:10 PM.
hard_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #14

Trying to get the width inboard of the knuckles so I don't increase the swing of the wheel. Want to keep scrub down. Just trying to figure out how to lengthen the inner axle shafts for make new ones, that are going to be strong enough and straight enough to fit well, and get the rig up and over with the power of the motor, since I will eventually put a brushless in it most likely.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Going to have to go custom then, the Offset wheel mod,aftermarket extensions and the new losi parts are all after the knuckle.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

So the new Trekker outer stubs are the same length as the Crawler? It must have wideners similar to CrawlerX's stuff with the spacer and shouldered nut then. As far as lengthening the shafts go, I'd imagine they could be sleeved and glued in the long side to match whatever width is added to the axle housing tubes.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
So the new Trekker outer stubs are the same length as the Crawler? It must have wideners similar to CrawlerX's stuff with the spacer and shouldered nut then. As far as lengthening the shafts go, I'd imagine they could be sleeved and glued in the long side to match whatever width is added to the axle housing tubes.
the trail trekker or Mc4x4 as losi calls it has longer outter stub axles and a thicker hex. in which case it should also work with the BWD and crawler X extensions.
The original poster however wants to extend before the knuckle not after
Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

That's what I mean, extend the INNERS the same amount as the axle housing tubes. Between the diff and housing bearing before the knuckle. Totally doable.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Ahh for some reason I read the 2nd part as DRIVE shafts.
is there enough room in the axle tubes and bearings to fit a tube over the stub shaft to use as an extension? If done right i would think it would be plenty strong for a micro.

My axles haven't been apart in a while but from what i remember there is the outer threaded side and the inside that goes to the diff was square wasn't it?
Maybe if you found the right thickness rod you could dremel one side square and cut threads on the other side for a wheel nut