Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Big Block Campbell Tuber with DIG...when's it gunna stop?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
Thanks for those links!!! She's definitely a big girl to fit. The shaft is huge! What pinion gear was used? A tranny gear?? Kinda cornfused there.

The shaft is 2mm. I used the smallest gear from a trany gear kit. Wait a day and i may have worked out an install on the largest of the pinion gears that you get with the rig. I just need to shave some material from the case to make it all work with a 56 tooth aluminum gear. Wish me luck cause this could be the ticket!!!
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Good luck!
I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. My rig has been built a while now and I'm getting the itch to tinker with it again.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Good luck!
I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. My rig has been built a while now and I'm getting the itch to tinker with it again.
You know what really suck??? I have 3 micro's and not one is running. All 3 are under some sort of mod. One is in peices and another had a DP chassis but I still need to install a motor and I really need a new body.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
You know what really suck??? I have 3 micro's and not one is running. All 3 are under some sort of mod. One is in peices and another had a DP chassis but I still need to install a motor and I really need a new body.
Meh, don't feel bad, I've got two micro DT's I'm rodding the heck out of and both are down waiting for parts. It's just as much fun building and waiting for parts as it is to run it for 5 minutes only to break again. It's a vicious cycle! Lol!

Soooo......more dumb questions ......
Is that tranny gear correctly splined to the shaft, or friction /press fit? Also, the footprint of the mounting holes looks a bit bigger than stock. I'm thinking a stock motor plate would not accommodate mounting that beast. A new motor is about all I really would need to finish mine.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Is that tranny gear correctly splined to the shaft, or friction /press fit? Also, the footprint of the mounting holes looks a bit bigger than stock. I'm thinking a stock motor plate would not accommodate mounting that beast. A new motor is about all I really would need to finish mine.
The motor shaft is smooth...no splines. I had to drill out the gear and then press fit it for now. I will glue it on later. The motor mounting is WAY different. It doesn't even come close to the same holes as stock. I'm not even sure a stock plate could be modified to work. I used 2" aluminum angle 1/16" thick from Home depot and cut it out on my band saw. That way I was able to add that upper deck. I made at least 5 templates before I got one right.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Just updating some pics...

Here is a breakdown of the driveline mod. Drill out the driveline and insert a peice of tube.

Drill out the tube through old hole.

Use a factory driveline screw and it's done.

If you can see it...the screw acts as the locking mechanism on the cut end of the driveshaft.

A pic of the new trany plate for the BIG BLOCK

Compared to the factory trany plate.

Here is what the trany plate started out as...2" wide x 1/16" thick aluminum angle from Home depot

Notice I had to grind down the trany case next to the motor...it made the next part possible.

BIG NEWS!!! I got the largest pinion and the 56t aluminum spur gear to fit. I had to shave the trany case down so that the motor would fit closer for gear mesh.

I had to cut down the brass driveline tube on the dig so it clears the spur gear. It still hold on to the trany output shaft without falling off during dig. REALLY TIGHT TOLLERANCES.

This pic is in drive mode...

In dig mode...

I have the frame done! I think it came out great. I am painting it now and will be assembling the rig tomorrow. I ordered the neo magnets and bearing case for the motor.

Anyone know of a good driveline swap??? I may be blowing up the stock ones soon..I guess we will see
Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Now that is a freggin keen idea right there sir!!!

how much did you grind off the output shafts to make it open like that so it can engage the screw in the drive shaft?

and what prevents the drive shaft from popping off/ stay in 4wd? is the brass tube tacked to the dig arm?
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Bob it looks like the worm locks the dig when the servo disengages the dig collar and the pressure from the spring holds it in place for 4 wheel drive.

Man that's some great Micro engineering.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Bob it looks like the worm locks the dig when the servo disengages the dig collar and the pressure from the spring holds it in place for 4 wheel drive.

Man that's some great Micro engineering.
I think you are correct. The brass tube slides smoothly over the output shaft and the pressure from the spring holds it in contact. It stays put well but can wobble a bit under heavy acceleration. I will do a video soon.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

So your spring,

is wedged between the female piece of DS in the aluminum tube and the male piece.

So your dig collar and spring keep it in place.

hmmmmmmmm

i may suddenly have a use for these 1.5gram micro servos i have left over from a micro plane......

thank you guys, Im kinda like an old truck. I may need a few kicks, patience, and a little choke. But the brain will fire eventually.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
So your spring,

thank you guys, Im kinda like an old truck. I may need a few kicks, patience, and a little choke. But the brain will fire eventually.
I love it!!! Ask away and I will post what I can
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Here it is! I had to modify the dig twice to make it stay together. Cutting the brass sleeve on the driveline to clear the spur gear was a bad idea. The driveline came apart a few times.

As for the big BIG BLOCK: what a power monster...and with great control. I still havent even put in the ball bearing can or Neo magnets yet. I can't wait!!! I have to say it's the perfect motor for the bigger rigs that weigh over a pound or have QLO's. Mine weighs in at 18oz including the 450mah battery. I got about 25 minutes of hard running on a charge and thats running 2 servo's and a big motor. I also made 2 400mah split packs for the rig that fit way better.

I used my TQ4 4 channel 2.4ghz radio gear this time too. Way better than the old TQ3 am unit!

On to the pics.

You may notice the front end bars are bent a bit...I had to tweek them a bunch for the ESC to fit. Thats what I get for painting it before eveything was proven to fit.

And a few quick video's. I took one of the dig system but it didn't come out. It was too close for my camera to focus on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzrPlZBRsx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ptTJR-_QTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCPW88yGO8k

More pics and videos to come

OH...and possibly 4ws to go on it too...should I?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

4WS! You cannot go wrong with more capability and maneuverability.

It's gotta be strange to build a chassis asymmetrical when naturally the eye prefers it being symmetric. Nice work.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Oh my god, that thing is amazing. I think 4ws would officially make that rig one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Keep up the great work!
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Looks great! Now I have some more inspiration to get my dig working.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Worlds biggest micro crawler? ahah

Im with bryco13,put some 4WS on that man!
orangeplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
4WS! You cannot go wrong with more capability and maneuverability.

It's gotta be strange to build a chassis asymmetrical when naturally the eye prefers it being symmetric. Nice work.
Thanks. You r so right about the lines...it is so hard to make a rig crooked on purpose. I get people that ask me if it was supposed to be that way. I just laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
Oh my god, that thing is amazing. I think 4ws would officially make that rig one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Keep up the great work!
Thanks. I think i might try a 4ws too but I am worried about the power draw with 3 servo's. I guess we will see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Looks great! Now I have some more inspiration to get my dig working.
It's easier than it looks. Based on your skills you will find a way to make the dig systems even better...and then package a deal with your motor, an adapter plate, and dig servo all in one for only 3 easy payments of $19.99

The 90t motor you made for me worked great in this rig. Since I went big block I am re-using the 90t in my next project. I will never get rid of it as long as I have a micro. Great motor dude
Old 03-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeplug View Post
Worlds biggest micro crawler? ahah

Im with bryco13,put some 4WS on that man!
It looks big (I can't beleive I just said that) but I think some others have me...I heard one guy say he had 2 pounds and I hear of 5.5" wheel bases. This sits just barely over 5" wheel base and 18oz loaded. I will take some pics to compare it to stock micro's just for reference.

I have to say one thing for sure...these are way more of a challenge than most people give credit to. Whats that saying??? like trying to fit 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound sack?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Awesome work Danally.

I will be making a dig for future build, Yours looks like a winner.

nice looking "rig" also.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Simply amazing!!

*DANALLY do you think you could start a thread with detailed information and images of how to do a dig best for the LMRC. I'm sure a whole bunch of us would like to try our own but just are not completely sure where to start, I think a detailed thread with parts, recommended esc, images and instructions would make many here Smile from ear to ear!

Last edited by atracys; 03-21-2011 at 02:15 PM.
atracys is offline   Reply With Quote