Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: New micro 1/18 need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #1

Default New micro 1/18 need help

Hey guys, new to the forums over here, lead here by a friend on RCsparks.com

Anyhow, just picked up a Losi 1/24 micro trail trekker today. Had problems with it so far...

First off, had problems with it binding while driving, still has problems if it is on an incline with the wheels turned stalling out... acts like the motor doesn't have enough power.

Just got done working on it for a few hours, adjusted the gear mesh between the engine and main flywheel, and adjusted the slipper clutch so it is a bit loser, also installed the mid range gear and it seems to be running better.

Still, it only climbs decent, and better if it is under full throttle, trying to "crawl" with it is useless as it just flips over backwards constantly.

Wondering what else I can do for simple mods, I'm open to buying a few parts if I need them, but Im on a bit of a budget at the moment and looking to have some fun with my new crawler.

Anything appreciated, thanks in advance and glad to be here

Last edited by Warhog53; 03-23-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: I am retarded :)
Warhog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

the 1/18 scale is a mini. you might want to post that in the mini section
i luv duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-mini-rock-crawler/
stroker613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by i luv duct tape View Post
the 1/18 scale is a mini. you might want to post that in the mini section
Oh, will do thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #5

Apparently I read the box wrong, it's a 1/24 scale trail trekker, my appologies. I saw micro on the box and could swear it said 1/18 but it's 1/24
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #6

I was gonna say, with the flipping over (backflips) it sounded like the micro, as it does that really easy stock.. front wheels really need some weight to avoid it
iLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoki View Post
I was gonna say, with the flipping over (backflips) it sounded like the micro, as it does that really easy stock.. front wheels really need some weight to avoid it
yeah i was wondering that as well... the LMC doesn't have binding out of the box...
atracys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #8

ok, so I got up this morning and tore the bugger apart again... Tightened the slipper clutch, double checked gear meshes and the whole transmission, everything looks really solid, upon doing a test before I put everything back together, the motor has almost no power in forward. Reverse on the other hand raps out instantly and without issue. Going back and forth quickly between forward and reverse makes forward run better, but not 100%. So it's staying in a state of disrepair until hopefully I can get some answers
Old 03-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhog53 View Post
ok, so I got up this morning and tore the bugger apart again... Tightened the slipper clutch, double checked gear meshes and the whole transmission, everything looks really solid, upon doing a test before I put everything back together, the motor has almost no power in forward. Reverse on the other hand raps out instantly and without issue. Going back and forth quickly between forward and reverse makes forward run better, but not 100%. So it's staying in a state of disrepair until hopefully I can get some answers
I understand these frustrations to well! Just my 2 cents..

Avoid tightening your slipper clutch too much. Also watch your wheel nuts, don't tighten them too much as well, both will cause binding. You might want to get your hands on:

Hot Racing 56T Spur Gear
Hot Racing Main Gear Case

These have proved to solve the tranny binding issue, my rig is a definite testament to that!

Also check thoroughly through the LMRC Mod Bible Section for details on what others have done, i know a few have had patience enough to slowly file away at the oval shaped spur gear and main tranny gear case. Common problems with almost 90% of these guys otb!

-CHEERS!
atracys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atracys View Post
I understand these frustrations to well! Just my 2 cents..

Avoid tightening your slipper clutch too much. Also watch your wheel nuts, don't tighten them too much as well, both will cause binding. You might want to get your hands on:

-CHEERS!
Ah good thinking, I didn't think to check the wheel nuts. They are still set at whatever the factory had them at, so I'll check those out,

on a side note, I tested the motor before I reassembled everything connected to only the transmission, (no driveshafts etc.) And still had problems in forward gear, so the wheel nuts may be contributing but I fear that the root problem may be the motor or ESC

Last edited by Warhog53; 03-23-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
the motor has almost no power in forward. Reverse on the other hand raps out instantly and without issue.
Others have had that problem with the McRC. but i dont remember what the fix was. maybe reverse the switch on the throttle channel or the wires on the ESC/motor?
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

If you have the ability (dont know what tools you have available) unsolder the wires on the motor and reverse them. If you still have the weakness in the same direction, it has to be the motor, if It changes direction it might be an ESC issue. Or plug the battery directly into the battery and see what happens, then try to reverse polarity so the motor will spin the opposite direction and see if you still have a weak direction. Good liuck.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:28 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
If you have the ability (dont know what tools you have available) unsolder the wires on the motor and reverse them. If you still have the weakness in the same direction, it has to be the motor, if It changes direction it might be an ESC issue. Or plug the battery directly into the battery and see what happens, then try to reverse polarity so the motor will spin the opposite direction and see if you still have a weak direction. Good liuck.
I think Getbent meant plug the motor directly to the battery and see if it still has power issues, you can reverse the polarity and test it in both directions. If its got more spped in one direction than the other its a motor problem. Also on the radio theres a knob behind the wheel marked st. d/r you may want to adjust that as well. just a thought hope it helps you out
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
I think Getbent meant plug the motor directly to the battery and see if it still has power issues, you can reverse the polarity and test it in both directions. If its got more spped in one direction than the other its a motor problem. Also on the radio theres a knob behind the wheel marked st. d/r you may want to adjust that as well. just a thought hope it helps you out
^^^ Yup, thats what I meant. Thanks for clarifying.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Good stuff guys, I do have a soldering iron so I will give that a run, I called tech support yesterday and the guy I spoke to said it was likely a faulty engine, took my info down, and has another one in the mail, will be here next week. But if I can get this one to go in the meantime that would be super awesome.

Salute to Horizon Hobby for having probably the best tech support I've ever called.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Good stuff guys, I do have a soldering iron so I will give that a run, I called tech support yesterday and the guy I spoke to said it was likely a faulty engine, took my info down, and has another one in the mail, will be here next week. But if I can get this one to go in the meantime that would be super awesome.

Salute to Horizon Hobby for having probably the best tech support I've ever called.

A cheap easy mod I did is the motor from the micro rally. Another cheap easy one is buy 9 mm flat washer, remove inside ring from the rim, drop up to 4 washers there, replace ring and wheel. $2 for a little weight. Think the motors are under $10. Also just snug up wheel nuts.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crawler, losi, micro, noob