Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Micro or Redcat Sumo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Losi Micro or Redcat Sumo?

Hi all -

I searched the threads for anything on the new Redcat Sumo crawler and can't find much - maybe it's too new?

Reason I'm asking...I built a Losi micro as a tribute to my 1:1 TJ. I'd like to do a second one in tribute to the '86 CJ7 I had years ago, and the stock 4ws on the Sumo looks intriguing. But I can't find any good reviews of this new one, except the ones from Alishanmao (and I think I read he works for Redcat?)...

Does anyone have this new one yet, and if so how does it compare to the Losi? On my Losi I did the wheel widening mod, added wire wrap inside the rims, got the DP torsion chassis...she's darn near unstoppable now!

I agree - the Sumo body looks goofy, and the ride height seems way too tall. Not sure if a DP chassis could be modded to fit, but some Miclaws would look good if they bolt up...

Any real-world reviews/experience would be helpful!

Thanks,

Mike
MikeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I think it is still too new. I have been looking around also and can't find much. The 4ws does look pretty cool. Sorry, didn't have anything constructive to add.
Crawl Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #3

I got my Sumo Friday and have only run it about 10 minutes. First impression, well the 4WS is cool, tire size is the same diameter as the stock losi micro but a bit wider. The COG is HIGH and this thing loves to roll over. Body is ugly as sin, but doesn't effect performance.

I plan on running it a bit more today to see what other "issues" may arise.
theinjected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Awesome - this is just what I'm looking for. Yes, my Losi (aka Flipper) rolled a lot, then I did the mods...then something happened with the esc/servo, but Horizon Hobby's stellar customer service is on it.

Let me know what you come up with on the Sumo. Body-ugly-as-sin doesn't matter, it's coming off right away anyway...

Mike
Old 05-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Hey injected1 -

If it's not too much to ask, can you also see if those are real beadlocks? The literature says they are, but in one of the youtube vids the guy said they're simulated...

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Got Mine Comments

Started mine yesterday. This overall seems to be a nice truck out of the box, but like the Losi MCRC it needs help. Added a new body, bearings, removed the springs from the shocks, modified the side "AAA" battery mounts so I carry a Lipo in each side. I also added new lower steering arms. The stock ones seemed to get hung up a lot.

It has the Crawler-X wheel wideners installed. The axle stub is long enough I could still use the stock wheel nuts.

The rims do have the bead-locks that are removable by taking out the Allan Head Screws. I don't know how they grip other tires yet.

Got some more pictures added. I just ran it for the first time with the Lipo pack, and MAN what a difference. This truck definitely has a future, and looks like they will have LOTS of replacement parts. It is definitely the quietest crawler of all I have. WAY COOL for the price.

Last edited by stomper4x4.com; 05-29-2011 at 04:56 PM.
stomper4x4.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Stomper - that looks sweet! Thanks for your post. I'm now leaning towards to Sumo for crawler #2...

Just out of curiosity - why is everyone against AAA batteries? I actually ADDED them to my Losi because as we all know the stock NiMH battery sucks. With 2 sets of rechargeables and a 15 minute charger, I run out of crawl space before I run out of juice (starting to work on a course!). The only complaint I have is the weight - the DP chassis arms tend to flex up a bit more than I'd like, but I park it on a stand when I'm not running...and I'm thinking about fabbing a bracket to add the stock shocks back in.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Because a lipo is smaller,lighter,and more powerfull.
I am still waiting on my sumo. I am a little upset with crawler X.

I attempted to pre order and get the free shipping, they replied to me telling me they are in stock early. ok so no free shipping no big deal. I ordered the sumo and hex wideners for my losi and the wideners get to me in a few days yet they ship the sumo separately and wait a few days to ship. Hopefully it gets here Tuesday
Honestly i wish i would have ordered from CPE. it would have been here by now with free shipping
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Because a lipo is smaller,lighter,and more powerfull.
I am still waiting on my sumo. I am a little upset with crawler X.

I attempted to pre order and get the free shipping, they replied to me telling me they are in stock early. ok so no free shipping no big deal. I ordered the sumo and hex wideners for my losi and the wideners get to me in a few days yet they ship the sumo separately and wait a few days to ship. Hopefully it gets here Tuesday
Honestly i wish i would have ordered from CPE. it would have been here by now with free shipping
Check your paypal. And sorry about the seperate shipping.

Blade

Last edited by BLADE; 05-29-2011 at 07:18 PM.
BLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Wow thanks. didn't expect that and the delay wouldn't have stopped me from being a repeat customer as i understand it happens sometimes ( all my other orders have been quick and flawless )

but this is what i call customer service In fact I think i will put that towards an ex 5.5
thanks again!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Wow thanks. didn't expect that and the delay wouldn't have stopped me from being a repeat customer as i understand it happens sometimes ( all my other orders have been quick and flawless )

but this is what i call customer service In fact I think i will put that towards an ex 5.5
thanks again!
Your welcome

Blade
Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Sorry for the unintentional thread jack Stomper/MikeTJ. i have to say the Sumo looks great. If the electronics fit I am going to stuff this in my TMC chassis. that should make this thing handle the rocks much better. If the axles hold up I will for sure pick up a 2nd for a scale build

Edit: BTW are the ball ends the same size as the micro losi?

Last edited by spoo76; 05-29-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Spoo76 -

No problem, and thanks for the info on LiPo.

Stomper -

Thanks for the additional pix and mini review! Looking at your photos - did you add the red plug toward the left, the one next to the white plug? If so...that looks a lot like the battery plug on my son's mini super cub...think I could run his 300mAh 7.4v packs?

Blade -

Are you still offering free shipping?

Mike

Last edited by MikeTJ; 05-29-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

That looks pretty good with the miclows. Do those wheels go straight on? Which shocks are those? All the links are what it came with? Looks better than I expected. The body looks good on it.
bouncingbabyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTJ View Post
Looking at your photos - did you add the red plug toward the left, the one next to the white plug? If so...that looks a lot like the battery plug on my son's mini super cub...think I could run his 300mAh 7.4v packs?
300mah 2S ( 7.4v ) is fine i run a 300 and 360mah
though all my connections are micro dean
Old 05-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Spoo76 -

No problem, and thanks for the info on LiPo.

Stomper -

Thanks for the additional pix and mini review! Looking at your photos - did you add the red plug toward the left, the one next to the white plug? If so...that looks a lot like the battery plug on my son's mini super cub...think I could run his 300mAh 7.4v packs?

Blade -

Are you still offering free shipping?

Mike
Yes if there is anyone who would like to order the sumo I will offer free shipping through the end of this week. Www.crawlerx.net

Thanks
Blade
Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Order placed - thanks Blade!

Mike
Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Order placed - thanks Blade!

Mike
Your welcome thank you for the business

Blade
Old 05-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default Answers

Here are some answers to the questions above:

1) The tires are the MiniQlo's mounted on BWD rims. The hex size for the rims is the same as the MCRC. The really cool thing is the longer axle shafts. As mentioned they are long enough to allow the use of the Crawler-X or BWD wheel wideners and still be able to attach the stock wheel nuts. Good thing as the threads are slightly larger on the Sumo crawler.

2) The shocks are the stock ones that came with the truck, I just added some decals. Somewhere I read or saw in a video that they are oil filled. The shocks DO NOT have oil in them and would leak if they did (no O-Rings).

3) I made new links for the front and rear steering for the lower link. The stock ones were bulky and seemed to get hung up.

I have to say the more I play with and work on this truck I think it is going to do very well. Don't know how the radio and receiver will hold up, but the really cool 4 mode steering system is worth a big deal of the cost of the whole RTR set. Buy one and put the receiver and rear servo in your MCRC.

The truck does look very sturdy, and hopefully Crawler-X & BWD will soon come out with their hop-up parts.

I did get mine from Louis at Crawler-X and as you all know, you couldn't ask for better service. Here is a link to the page to get one.

Link To REDCAT RACING SUMO CRAWLER

Get one quick, and be part of another great crawler from the start!!
stomper4x4.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Just put my order in for a green one! Thanks for the $0 shipping rate Blade! My rc addiction is pushing me further down the gutter! Lol
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote