Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Redcat Sumo micro crawler (RSMC) parts breakdown and losi compatibility

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Updated the axle width pic to include the RSMC axles with Mc4x4 double thick hex's and McRC axles with Mc4X4 stub shafts and double thick hexes

also added a pic of the McRC,Mc4x4,& RSMC stub shafts
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Spoo, are the battery/motor wires the same polarity between the Sumo and McRC? Im ready to Lipo up on that bad dog, I just don't wanna fry the esc by connecting the battery. I bought cheapo LiPos recently and the polarity (plug is Losi style) was different than my Losi LiPos, fried my effin esc by not paying attention to wire colors and plugging the connector in....which was wrong!
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
Spoo, are the battery/motor wires the same polarity between the Sumo and McRC? Im ready to Lipo up on that bad dog, I just don't wanna fry the esc by connecting the battery. I bought cheapo LiPos recently and the polarity (plug is Losi style) was different than my Losi LiPos, fried my effin esc by not paying attention to wire colors and plugging the connector in....which was wrong!
I always swap to micro deans so polarity is whatever I decide to solder.
I usually solder the ground of the battery to the male pin but it seems everyone else I've bought used crawlers from does the opposite
Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
I think this is perfect for the micro market. slightly wider axles, rear steer, spool diff. and with another crawler X chassis we should see even more builds pop up
I agree with your statement, any of the chassis kits available for the Losi can be used on the Sumo. The Sumo's chassis/skid/ motor mount is narrower, but that could be remedied by narrowing the crossmembers.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

BTW, I upgraded to lipo tonight. I also installed Losi shocks using the Sumo balls, Hitec HS65MG servos front and rear(totally bolt up). All I can say is WOW! Huge performance improvement! While I was at it, I removed the battery boxes too. This thing is a little beast now with those mods, Vertexes and weighted Miclaws. . Nothing rubs or makes contact with the tires or shocks on this guy. That's hard to say that with a Losi.....with wideners!
I'm still working on narrowing the roof and shock stays on my Eclipse to match the xmember width and get it all built. I might just use my Raptor chassis because the rear section is shorter and will clear the rear servo better. Once I get my pc running, I might do a build thread, my phone wont post pics on Vbulletin forums.

Last edited by Midlife Crisis; 07-05-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #26

Quote:
here is the axle without Mc4x4 double thick hexes on the left and with the Mc4xx hex on the right.
as you can see with the Mc4x4 hex it takes up all the extra threading

from left to right. the top end of the wheels on the axles were lined up flat against a straight edge so what you see is the TOTAL difference in width on the bottom side
RSMC with Trekker ( MC4x4 ) hexes
Mc4x4 with BWD wideners (McRC axles are the same as Mc4X4 just without the longer stub shaft and thicker hex)
RSMC stock width
McRC with BWD wideners
McRC with CrawlerX wideners
McRC stock

so it seems the RSMC is the widest followed by McRC with BWD wideners. I dont have a Mc4x4 But Im sure the trail trekker is no wider than the BWD
also a side note. because the RSMC stub shaft is thicker BWD and crawler X barrel nuts wont fit. you could possibly find the correct barrel nuts or maybe use the Mc4x4 extended hex?
Not sure I'm clear on a couple things in your width comparison so hopefully you can help...

I've got the McRC and I have ordered the Mc4x4 axle stubs and hex set to get some extra width for Miclaws that are on the way. I want to get the BWD wideners but they are out. How does the width added by the new Mc4x4 stub axles and hex compare to the BWD? Also if I'm reading correctly I can use both once the BWDs are available again?

I think you are saying this is what you have on your second from the left example?

Thanks and great work!
Markhpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhpnc View Post
Not sure I'm clear on a couple things in your width comparison so hopefully you can help...

I've got the McRC and I have ordered the Mc4x4 axle stubs and hex set to get some extra width for Miclaws that are on the way. I want to get the BWD wideners but they are out. How does the width added by the new Mc4x4 stub axles and hex compare to the BWD? Also if I'm reading correctly I can use both once the BWDs are available again?

I think you are saying this is what you have on your second from the left example?

Thanks and great work!
Now that you quoted that i see i need to edit the text. i didnt have mc4x4 stubs when i first posted. The Mc4x4 extension is about 3mm shorter than the BWD's or CrawlerX. Yes you can use the Mc4x4 hex & stub shaft with the BWDs but keep in mind this is AFTER the steering knuckle and isnt always the best for steering geometry. in fact its a bit wider than stock RSMC axles.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #28

Awesome thanks! So basically I'll still be waiting on the BWDs for my final result and probably just use them alone then.

Next question: For now, which will be wider between using the Mc4x4 stubs alone or the CrawlerX wideners alone on my McRC?

I apologize for highjacking your thread but you definitely have the info and a lot of people seem to be interested in this also.

BTW
I tried to post in another thread I think you started but it didn't go through. Where you had just received all the HR parts and took pics... did you ever figure out how to get the stock hex out of the stock wheels??? I have tried everything and it seems anything more will break something.

I just got the HR beadlocks and can buy spare hex but my LHS is a BFEHS and I can't go till next week anyway. I was itchin to get these rims and RoxLox mounted this weekend!

THANKS!
Markhpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhpnc View Post
Awesome thanks! So basically I'll still be waiting on the BWDs for my final result and probably just use them alone then.

Next question: For now, which will be wider between using the Mc4x4 stubs alone or the CrawlerX wideners alone on my McRC?

I apologize for highjacking your thread but you definitely have the info and a lot of people seem to be interested in this also.

BTW
I tried to post in another thread I think you started but it didn't go through. Where you had just received all the HR parts and took pics... did you ever figure out how to get the stock hex out of the stock wheels??? I have tried everything and it seems anything more will break something.

I just got the HR beadlocks and can buy spare hex but my LHS is a BFEHS and I can't go till next week anyway. I was itchin to get these rims and RoxLox mounted this weekend!

THANKS!
No problem on the thread jacking, its on topic and Ive done worse haha
I was actually going to post dimensions but got lazy

as far as width my calibrated eyeball can tell they are about 1mm apart from most narrow to widest going Mc4x4,crawlerX,then BWD.

As far as the hexes it seems the stock wheels are glued in but they pop out easily on the spare wheels & tires I bought before RC4WD had tires. I ended up buying spare hexes along with them because my LHS doesnt carry much for micros
Old 09-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #30
DVS
Pebble Pounder

What lipo are you guys using
DVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Check the micro sub Forums for the lipo threads there is at least one big one with many links. Any 2s micro lipo will be fine as long as it fits. Most stay under 350mah for size
Old 09-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #32
DVS
Pebble Pounder

I guess I should have asked are you using a 7.4V or 3.7V lipo with the RSMC ESC
Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
I guess I should have asked are you using a 7.4V or 3.7V lipo with the RSMC ESC
I cant speak for anyone else but Ive never heard/read anyone using a single sell on this thing. that would be much slower than the AA's and even much less power. IMO it needs the 2S lipo over the AA's its setup to use
Old 09-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #34
DVS
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I cant speak for anyone else but Ive never heard/read anyone using a single sell on this thing. that would be much slower than the AA's and even much less power. IMO it needs the 2S lipo over the AA's its setup to use
Thanks,

I read this post last night http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=19 so I was wondering if it could handle 7.4V.

Last edited by DVS; 09-02-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #35

wow i never guessed all the tweaking with micros. nice
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Thanks,

I read this post last night http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=19 so I was wondering if it could handle 7.4V.
Ahh, yes well I can only guess its only rated for 6v because they rated it with AA's since thats what the battery holders use. a 2s 7.4v lipo fresh of the charger should be at 8.4 or so and its fine on the RSMC.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #37
DVS
Pebble Pounder

Thanks spoo76.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

No problem
Old 09-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #39

This thread is awesome, did'nt know so much could be done with micros. I have a sumo ordered that will be here next week and was wanting to know what i needed or what you would suggest to mount a set of miclaws. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
bigjoe623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe623 View Post
This thread is awesome, did'nt know so much could be done with micros. I have a sumo ordered that will be here next week and was wanting to know what i needed or what you would suggest to mount a set of miclaws. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
if your not using Losi wheels Miclaws will fit on the stock RSMC wheels fine, but you will still need to space the wheel away from the steering knuckle a little or it will rub, should be easy to do as there is plenty of thread left on the axle shaft.