RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Losi Micro-Rock Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/)
-   -   Battery question...yes, I read the battery thread...twice... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/320469-battery-question-yes-i-read-battery-thread-twice.html)

MikeTJ 06-07-2011 09:46 AM

Battery question...yes, I read the battery thread...twice...

Hi all -

On my first build MS-DANA, I'd previously done AAA's for power, mounted a double holder on each side of my DP torsion chassis. I really liked the set-up - good power (same 4.8v as stock), VERY long run times, VERY short recharge times...just didn't really like the look of AAA batteries hanging out on the sides! Not that MS-DANA is scale by any means, I just thought it looked funny. Plus y'all rave about LiPo run times, power, etc...

So I borrowed one of my son's batteries from his Mini Super Cub. The battery is 7.4v 300mAh LiPo. Wheel speed is waaaaaay too fast (my Losi took off...I sure hope it comes back...), and throttle response is very twitchy - low-end throttle control is really tough now.

Couple questions:

Is there a lower volt LiPo that's still 2s? I'm pretty new to RC crawlers, LiPo, etc...so if I can find one that is more in the 4-5v range I'd be happy. I want crawl speed, not race speed. Plus I'd like the extra benefit of the LVC. I've searched Google and it seems everything is either 1s or 7.4v.

Would changing the spur gear to a higher tooth count help? I'd be okay with the 7.4v if I could get back to crawl speeds. Ebay has a 56 tooth aluminum: http://cgi.ebay.com/Losi-Micro-Crawl...item43a793d214

Thanks,

Mike

johnnyh66 06-07-2011 10:04 AM

No, all 2s lipo's are 7.4v and all 1s lipo's are 3.2v.

About all you can do is order one of Getbent's Predator motors, it's really your best option.

I'm not sure about pinions.

MikeTJ 06-07-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyh66 (Post 3130298)
No, all 2s lipo's are 7.4v and all 1s lipo's are 3.2v.

About all you can do is order one of Getbent's Predator motors, it's really your best option.

I'm not sure about pinions.

I've been thinking about Getbent's motors...I've read they're hand-wound, better than stock...but are they slower?

MikeTJ 06-07-2011 10:06 AM

Oh - thanks for the clarification on the 1s/2s thing!

Mike

johnnyh66 06-07-2011 10:09 AM

I switched from the stock 7.2v nimh to a 7.4v lipo and didn't like the speed.
So then I bought a few 1s 3.2v, good speed but no torque...
So then, after Murderface talked them up, I bought one of Getbents first 80t Predator motors...
With the 7.4v lipo, it's perfect!
You could even get the 90t if you really want it slow.

So yes, both Predator motors are slower then the stock.

MikeTJ 06-07-2011 10:14 AM

Cool - that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll contact Getbent and get on the waiting list.

Thanks johnnyh66!

Mike

T-buck 06-07-2011 10:19 AM

I use 2 cell 7.4v & works awesome, Although I use a DX3R & I never had a problem W/control at super slow speeds. Stock motor & G-bent's motor's.

I think Getbent's motor's are huge improvement & recommend them highly. "thumbsup"

MikeTJ 06-07-2011 10:47 AM

Yeah, I'm sure the DX3R would be better than the stock...but I'm actually pretty impressed with the stock controller (maybe because I don't know any better!).

Already contacted Getbent and got a reply!

Mike

Crawl Wonder 06-07-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeTJ (Post 3130363)
Yeah, I'm sure the DX3R would be better than the stock...but I'm actually pretty impressed with the stock controller (maybe because I don't know any better!).

Already contacted Getbent and got a reply!

Mike

What is his waiting time like? I may have to get on that too. :D

Crawl Wonder 06-07-2011 02:32 PM

So, since we're on the subject of batteries, does the stock NiMH battery die out? I've had this stupid battery plugged in for 3 hours and it hasn't gotten warm or anything. It's seems like it isn't charging at all anymore. Any ideas guys? Time for a battery & charger upgrade?

MikeTJ 06-07-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawl Wonder (Post 3130506)
What is his waiting time like? I may have to get on that too. :D

He said the donor motors just came in so maybe next week or week after?

johnnyh66 06-07-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawl Wonder (Post 3130655)
So, since we're on the subject of batteries, does the stock NiMH battery die out? I've had this stupid battery plugged in for 3 hours and it hasn't gotten warm or anything. It's seems like it isn't charging at all anymore. Any ideas guys? Time for a battery & charger upgrade?

This may be a silly question but are you using a wall charger or the portable charger?

spoo76 06-07-2011 04:08 PM

I agree with the rest. the getbent motor sounds like what you are looking for.

as far as lower volt 2S lipo there ARE C ratings for Lipo batteries and the higher the # the more instant "punch" it has. I think a very low C lipo might be ok.
For example a 30C 350mah 2S has the same power and capacity as a 15C 350mah 2S. but the 30C has more "punch"

You will probly be happy with the motor but your next choices would be trying a bigger spur. or bigger tires to change the final drive and offer more traction.

Crawl Wonder 06-07-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyh66 (Post 3130696)
This may be a silly question but are you using a wall charger or the portable charger?

Wall charger. I was reading through the battery thread and saw someone came across the same issue I was having. I had the red led light showing, even though I had full charge. A simple off/on got the cut off cleared and I was back in action.

I didn't know about that little quirk with the Trekker/Micro.

MikeTJ 06-07-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoo76 (Post 3130769)
I agree with the rest. the getbent motor sounds like what you are looking for.

as far as lower volt 2S lipo there ARE C ratings for Lipo batteries and the higher the # the more instant "punch" it has. I think a very low C lipo might be ok.
For example a 30C 350mah 2S has the same power and capacity as a 15C 350mah 2S. but the 30C has more "punch"

You will probly be happy with the motor but your next choices would be trying a bigger spur. or bigger tires to change the final drive and offer more traction.

Cool - thanks for the additional info on the C ratings! I'm sure I'll be happy with getbent's motor. And I've been thinking of the miclows, I think bigger tires might make my build look better.

Mike