Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: My Tuber Beast build!!! 7/19 VIDEO UPDATE for UK USERS!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My Tuber Beast build!!! 7/19 VIDEO UPDATE for UK USERS!!!

I've been seeing all these builds on tuber crawlers. I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm pretty happy on the way it turned out. After doing a lot of research on different tube frames and cages. I settled on the the King of Hammer 2009 Champ chassis. I tried as much as possible to replicate the frame, but trying to get the scale down was a little difficult just going off pictures. It came out a little bigger than I anticipated, but for the most part I think it actually looks just right. Either way I am very pleased.

It actually performs very well. Took it on a test run and from the get go it tracked straight and climbed over obstacles I didn't expect it to. the Turning radius is insanelly tight!!! I replaced the steering servo with the Hobby King MG micro servo. Now steering is definitely not an issue.

Still a work in progress. Need to paint, make sure a joints are re-enforced, possibly add a driver, fuel tank encloser for battery and some body panels.

Video is coming soon!!

Last edited by Savage00; 07-20-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Changed title
Savage00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #2

Good job! On the tube work.
Paint it black, and it's gonne look like a axial wraiths!
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Looks great man I like it and nice flex =]
xd3athstalk3rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Throw some ca glue on ur joints it holds amazing
Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd3athstalk3rx View Post
Throw some ca glue on ur joints it holds amazing
Yes! I actually already started doing that. I'm also using an accelerator to cure it faster to fill any gaps in the joints. There's some joints that I need to get to that are a little out of reach.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage00 View Post
Yes! I actually already started doing that. I'm also using an accelerator to cure it faster to fill any gaps in the joints. There's some joints that I need to get to that are a little out of reach.
Use the zap a GAp stuff my tuber is pretty strong if u seen my rubi tuber build I have it as a roller now
Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

looks good. much better than mine. yours has wheels.. lol.
Elastokinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd3athstalk3rx View Post
Use the zap a GAp stuff my tuber is pretty strong if u seen my rubi tuber build I have it as a roller now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastokinematic View Post
looks good. much better than mine. yours has wheels.. lol.
Thanks for the comments guys! I've seen your guys builds. You guys definitely have some talent when it comes to bending the rods/tubing. I want to attempt another with more bends in the tubing.

The biggest challenge to bending tubing is making sure you get the bends in the same exact place on 2 pieces for both sides of the frame. If the bends are off by a fraction of and inch it will throw the whole frame off and you'll get a warped frame.

I'm still experimenting with the styrene.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

looking good,heres one i made out of hangers and hot glue.
my new build
offthebeatenpath2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

nice work bud congrats i wanna build a cage for my stock chassis, what size styrene are you using? and how did you bend it? can you just bend it out of the pack or does it have to be treaded in a way like heating it with a lighter?
lordjasper1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #11

nice work ! love the tires.
Bears 208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjasper1988 View Post
nice work bud congrats i wanna build a cage for my stock chassis, what size styrene are you using? and how did you bend it? can you just bend it out of the pack or does it have to be treaded in a way like heating it with a lighter?

Try hobbbylinc.com the item # is evg 214 1/8 rod .125
Madjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Sick build!!! How does it wheel?
Madjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjones View Post
Try hobbbylinc.com the item # is evg 214 1/8 rod .125
thanks alot bud
Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjasper1988 View Post
Thanks for the comment! I'm using styrene rods (size: 2.5mm). To bend them I use a micro torch. The kind that can stand upright. You can get them at a Harbor Freight store or hardware store.

I quickly pass the rods just in front of the flame around 3 times just to get slightly heated. Then minipulate the rod to what ever bend I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjones View Post
Sick build!!! How does it wheel?
Thanks for the comment! It wheels like a CHAMP!!! The frame is super light and the center of gravity is low. It climbs over obtacles that my previous crawlers would stuggle with. I need to change up my testing grounds to be more challenging for this crawler. It definitely raised the bar for me. I do need to add more weight to the wheels to get that extra bite.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=Savage00;3160396]Thanks for the comment! I'm using styrene rods (size: 2.5mm). To bend them I use a micro torch. The kind that can stand upright. You can get them at a Harbor Freight store or hardware store.

I quickly pass the rods just in front of the flame around 3 times just to get slightly heated. Then minipulate the rod to what ever bend I need.

thanks alot bud ive got an order of styrene on the way for my cage thanks alot again youve been a real help
Old 06-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

[QUOTE=lordjasper1988;3160435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage00 View Post
Thanks for the comment! I'm using styrene rods (size: 2.5mm). To bend them I use a micro torch. The kind that can stand upright. You can get them at a Harbor Freight store or hardware store.

thanks alot bud ive got an order of styrene on the way for my cage thanks alot again youve been a real help
You can use a regular lighter too and prebend ur bends hold in place pass lighter over it be careful not to over heat it and wait till it's solid and there u have it ur bent piece of styrene =] I also use various coins super glued together on peg board type rig as my jig to make bends the same
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Still working on adding fuel tank, also tossing the idea of moving the electronics some where inconspicuos. I want to add seats and or an instrument cluster with steering wheel. Space is getting tight.

I made longer custom shocks, added body panels, painted cage silver. Also at some point I will add bent lower suspension links.

Enjoy the pics. Video coming soon!!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Man that looks really nice! Just spent the last couple of hours taking in the inspiration and working a bit on my rig. Actually, yesterday I put my BWD chassis back together so I can play with the friggin thing. I need to get another micro. Thanks for the inspiration and the pics. Good to know that you like the outcome. Building these things is time consuming and frustrating.
Elastokinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastokinematic View Post
Man that looks really nice! Just spent the last couple of hours taking in the inspiration and working a bit on my rig. Actually, yesterday I put my BWD chassis back together so I can play with the friggin thing. I need to get another micro. Thanks for the inspiration and the pics. Good to know that you like the outcome. Building these things is time consuming and frustrating.
Any update or pics on your build?

Thanks for the compliment! I agree with the time consuming and frustration. I could sit for a good hour just contemplating what the next move is. You pretty much have to wing it and plan as you go. My build did not turn out as the original plan (close but not exact). I originally wanted to mount the steering servo and electronics up towards the front of the frame and some where out of sight. Room is the biggest factor in these builds. Every part of the frame has to be some what planned ahead to accomadate all necessary components. I think that's the thrill for me in building these. Even though some people like the end result and would not do anymore to it, I will sit and think of many different things to change or add. LOVE IT!!!