Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: dustinbleh's *BRUSHLESS* Losi Micro 4x4 Trail Trekker Build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the tip, ill add an alloy trans case with my alloy spur order. My current transmission does not seem to have any bind, it has always been silky smooth and quiet, much more so than my buddy's mcrc, but like you said, with this much torque it definitely cant hurt!
dustinbleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Make sure to take some video!
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

What tooth spur are you planning? I'm ready for it myself, I'm thinking a 52t and 56t for some gear spread either way of stock and experimentation purposes.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

I'll take some video as soon as i get my charger and can see what this thing can do on a 2s lipo

I was originally planning on a 56t spur, but may order a 52t as well to see which i like better.

Question: does anyone have an especially good way of securing the pinion to the motor shaft? It doesnt sit on the shaft very tight and so i put a drop of CA glue on it, but after about 15min of running it it came loose.. I didnt get the glue on the entire shaft, so im thinking maybe it just needs to be redone more thoroughly.. Just wondering if there is a trick to it.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

You could try JB Weld, this is the reason I still use the plastic pinion
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #46

How would you say this rigs ability is compared to stock, I talked my bud regal into the 5g brushless outrunner, but im thinking of getting the bigger 10g for more power or do you think this has all the power it needs? thanks
blasterracer817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #47
Rock Stacker

personally, i am extremely happy with the 5g. I would say its a 100% improvement over stock..

I am not sure what the dimensions are of the 10g, but i would be very weary about trying to mount anything larger than the 5g as it takes up most of the available space..

But this thing has more power than the truck can even really handle to be honest.. Just my opinion
Old 07-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Is that a brushless specific esc? Or can it run both? That sucker is tiny! PM sent btw..
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #49

the ESC is brushless only, and speaking of the esc, how well does it work with the out runner, im about to place a hobbyking order, and the trackstar is the esc i picked, also did you pick ems for your shipping? i want to recieve my items fast lol
Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Yeah it is brushless only unfortunately, but it works GREAT! Has lipo cutoffs too, and even with the stock battery it does not cog AT ALL. You wont believe the low speed control.. its unbelievable. Plus, even though the setup doesnt even get warm to the touch at 30min of running, It's kinda nice that it has a heatsink. If nothing else, it looks cool

Also, i was expecting it to be much larger than it actually is.. With how small the footprint is, you can mount it anywhere you please. And for $13, how can you go wrong??

As far as shipping goes, I placed my order on the 21st (Thurs) with EMS shipping, It shipped out on Friday the 22nd, and I received it Monday the 25th. I dont know how they did it so fast, but they did. VERY happy with HobbyKing right now! Now I'm just waiting on my new lipo charger and the 100 deans plugs i ordered.. (Thats why im running my stock battery right now)

Anyway, buy the ESC. I know next order I place with them i am going to add an extra one just to have a backup.. Its honestly the best $13 ive spent in this hobby.. I've spent more than that on body clips in one trip to the LHS lol. Oh and dont forget the programming card. Works great and is very easy to use.

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #51

thats what i want to here, i already order it all with ems shipping, hopefull ittl be as fast as yours
Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

Good deal! You'll love it. It's a sweet setup.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Nice to see you got it all set up! how did you go about mounting it to the motor plate? any pictures?
for the Pinion and CA glue make sure you let it set up for a few hours, or even overnight.

as far as the 10g motor like you said,the 5g is more than enough and also the 10g has a bigger shaft like the 130 motors. I think 2mm, Losi Micros are 1.5mm

the hexatronic 5g really is perfect for the micro crawlers, will take up to 2s lipo, uses the same size pinions, very cheap, compact and gobs of torque. you just need to press the shaft through and tap some new mounting holes
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

I went ahead and let it sit overnight after re-gluing the pinion and its solid on there now.

I honestly cant believe how much torque that TINY motor puts out.. I cant wait to get it on 2s!

I actually used a small tack hammer to push the shaft through the motor (as i dont have a vice) and that worked perfect. I was very careful not to bend the shaft.

As far as mounting, I actually used a 2-56 size piece of allen hardware and a 2-56 nut to mount the motor.. Not ideal, but it worked perfect for me. I was looking at the mount the motor came with and the mount is made from relatively soft metal, so i decided not to tap the mounting holes as i didnt want to deal with possibly stripping them. I used a punched and a hand drill/pin vise to start two new mounting holes on the motor plate, and drilled out the holes and it mounted up perfectly. Works great!

Now, I am actually toying with the idea of trying out the 12t brass pinion that i have.. Any input on this? I dont think it will be a problem for the motor, it will still have torque to spare but maybe just a bit more wheelspeed.. what do you guys think?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

Well, my charger and deans plugs arrived today.. The Accucel 6 works perfect! And i bought 50 pairs of deans plugs (for about $15) just so i would have a good supply.. Cant beat Hobbyking's prices!

So i was able to get my Lipos charged and run the truck with 2s, and i was kind of... expecting more i guess. I need to get another stock body and stock bumper and rear cage so i can get rid of some of the topheaviness.. The truck likes to flip a lot. Anywho, I'll shoot a video and let you guys decide.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

where is the vid !!!!!!! i am dieing here ... my stuff is on its way same set up ... love to see this vid .... thanks again dustin

regal200021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinbleh View Post
As far as mounting, I actually used a 2-56 size piece of allen hardware and a 2-56 nut to mount the motor.. Not ideal, but it worked perfect for me. I was looking at the mount the motor came with and the mount is made from relatively soft metal, so i decided not to tap the mounting holes as i didnt want to deal with possibly stripping them. I used a punched and a hand drill/pin vise to start two new mounting holes on the motor plate, and drilled out the holes and it mounted up perfectly. Works great!

Now, I am actually toying with the idea of trying out the 12t brass pinion that i have.. Any input on this? I dont think it will be a problem for the motor, it will still have torque to spare but maybe just a bit more wheelspeed.. what do you guys think?
Hmm I cant picture the mounting setup haha.
if you are looking for more wheel speed you will want a larger pinion or smaller spur gear. remember though, this motor like the getbent is more suited to a slow crawler not a basher ( the losi has worm gear axles after all )
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

ahh my sister stole my digital camera! she went out of town for the weekend and took it before i could get a video made. Sorry guys, but its looking like it will be monday before i can make a video..

I dont want a basher, its just nice to have enough wheel speed to power over certain obstacles.. idk. ill let you form your opinions when i post the vid.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #59
Rock Stacker

when will she be back should i send you my cam lol...

just in case i am saying ... lol ...

holding my breath now ... till you get the video up ...
regal200021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

The sis will be back on monday..

I have gone ahead and listed my micro for sale in the classified section. Looking to fund other endeavors asap! LMK if anyone is interested