Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Brushless conversion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brushless conversion?

Anyone ever do a brushless conversion? What did you use? How did you like it?

Last edited by smuggl1n; 10-10-2012 at 01:23 PM.
smuggl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Brushless conversion?

most people use outrunners. i have never used BL in a cralwer but most people use it for and epic slow crawl. the downside is you have to add an extra component under your micro's lid because of the esc/rx combo. i might recommend a castle sidewinder so you can also run brushed if you like
Mastah Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The best option for brushless is the Hexitronic 5 gram micro outrunner.
there are a few threads on it if you feel like searching.then you will need a new radio and ESC. A popular choice is the turnigy trackstar 18A but Honestly I think the low speed control is horrid. A better Option for crawling in my opinion is a Castle sidewinder Micro. Its much more expensive @ $50-$60 but it will work with both brushed and brushless motors much bigger than a micro and has lots of adjustable settings via castle link. its well worth the $ and I run a few of them

Now that being said an even better option is the DDT predator Big Block kit from Danally. Its a 130 can motor similar to Xmods and is custom wound for gobs of torque and low speed control. Its a Brushed motor so you can use your existing electronics saving you $$ & the bigger can and custom wind will give you more power than you could ever get with a stock size motor. IMO thats the best, cheapest, and easiest option.
Best of all it supports A vendor from this site that is dedicated to micros!
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendo...ro-motors.html
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

What about power to weight ratio? Wouldnt the brushless still have alot of power but more compact and weight less than a big block setup?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
The best option for brushless is the Hexitronic 5 gram micro outrunner.
there are a few threads on it if you feel like searching.then you will need a new radio and ESC. A popular choice is the turnigy trackstar 18A but Honestly I think the low speed control is horrid. A better Option for crawling in my opinion is a Castle sidewinder Micro. Its much more expensive @ $50-$60 but it will work with both brushed and brushless motors much bigger than a micro and has lots of adjustable settings via castle link. its well worth the $ and I run a few of them

Now that being said an even better option is the DDT predator Big Block kit from Danally. Its a 130 can motor similar to Xmods and is custom wound for gobs of torque and low speed control. Its a Brushed motor so you can use your existing electronics saving you $$ & the bigger can and custom wind will give you more power than you could ever get with a stock size motor. IMO thats the best, cheapest, and easiest option.
Best of all it supports A vendor from this site that is dedicated to micros!
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendo...ro-motors.html

what he said. just forget the brushless idea
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Outrunner?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggl1n View Post
What about power to weight ratio? Wouldnt the brushless still have alot of power but more compact and weight less than a big block setup?
The Big Block will have plenty of torque. Enough that it can break the small plastic parts before you need more. power to weight shouldn't be much of an issue in this case as far as the motors are concerned, but you will have more weight when you add in a separate ESC and receiver for the outrunner. Not to mention they will likely be mounted high hurting COG and take up space.
Another thing to consider is the big block kit comes ready to bolt in with motor & pinion.

At this point the outrunner is cool, but as said the Big Block makes more sense when it comes to Price,Overall weight,ease of install,& ability to use all stock electronics.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I second Spoo's motion. Go big block. You won't regret it.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushless conversion? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
savage x ss brushless conversion boul69 Non Crawler RC's 0 02-17-2011 03:52 AM
Savage Conversion to Brushless Rckcrwlr Chit Chat 32 12-24-2007 09:36 AM