RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Losi Micro-Rock Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/)
-   -   Anyone mounted a micro outrunner before?? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/327512-anyone-mounted-micro-outrunner-before.html)

dustinbleh 07-22-2011 03:46 AM

Anyone mounted a micro outrunner before??

Hello all,

I am curious, i have seen several threads on here with people talking about how they mounted these 5g hextronik 2000kv outrunners in their rigs, but I have yet to find an actual "How To" or tutorial on how to do it.

I understand you have to remove a clip to move the motor shaft, and you have to do a bit of work on the mounting plate, but dont know any of the specifics.

If there is anyone on here who has done this, I would be SO appreciative if you could write up a detailed set of instructions for me (hopefully with pictures) on how you accomplished this.

OR- if anyone has a link to a detailed write up on this subject, if you could send it my way I would really REALLY appreciate it. I have searched in the losi micro forum as well as the micro crawler forum and on the micro t forum, and have so far found nothing detailed enough to really get anything started.

I know someone will come through for me. Thanks much everyone! "thumbsup"

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70...tuff/motor.gif

spoo76 07-22-2011 05:18 AM

there is no how too really, just a thread where someone briefly mentioned what he did, no pictures or anything.
you need to pull off the motor mount and hack and redrill it to fit the stock motor plate or make a new motor plate.
then you need to pull off an E clip on the motor mount side ( i would wrap the motor in a cloth or rag in case the Eclip gets airborne )
once the clip is off you can push the shaft into the motor so the other end comes out the motor mount side. install your pinion and replace the eclip

there is a thread in micro t forums in the crawler section explaining it pretty much the same way. once you have it in hand its easier to see what needs to be done

spoo76 07-22-2011 06:45 AM

This is the thread I was talking about, it has a few mounted pix but no step by step, this should help though
http://www.microtforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10854

dustinbleh 07-22-2011 12:42 PM

yeah i appreciate the link and i have read that thread, but i was really hoping for something with more detail. I think it may also help others in the future if someone is willing to do a quick write up on it.

gm0688 07-22-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinbleh (Post 3197919)
yeah i appreciate the link and i have read that thread, but i was really hoping for something with more detail. I think it may also help others in the future if someone is willing to do a quick write up on it.

He said made a motor plate with a piece of aluminum, used one of the transmission gears he had for a pinion and put it all together. What is ya need? I imagine you can use the old plate to trace around and line up the mounting holes. I think this looks like a cool! mod

dustinbleh 07-22-2011 02:49 PM

Like i said, I have read the text. I am a very visual person, and love pictures :)

Maybe its easier than it sounds, but some pictures would be amazing, if anyone has some lying around :)

spoo76 07-22-2011 03:08 PM

I thought that way until i saw everything in my hand but there are enough pictures and info there. all you are doing is pushing the shaft to the other side so when you mount it to the custom motor plate the pinion gear will go through it like the stock setup. then you need to mount your motor to the plate by tapping new holes. the motor plate is just flat metal. it might be easier to see once your transmission cover is off.

as far as the transmission gear for a pinion that is when using 130 size motors with a bigger shaft. that little hexatronic 9g has the same size 1.5mm shaft as stock

dustinbleh 07-22-2011 03:33 PM

k, well i will just try and take a crack at it when i have everything in.

The part i dont understand is about pushing the shaft through.. i know you undo the c clip, but do you turn the shaft around so the spot where the clip goes is now on the backside, or is the clip not used at all and the pinion slides over where the clip was?

I ordered a set of brass pinions from ebay, so i will be using one of those for it..

spoo76 07-22-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinbleh (Post 3198147)

The part i dont understand is about pushing the shaft through.. i know you undo the c clip, but do you turn the shaft around so the spot where the clip goes is now on the backside, or is the clip not used at all and the pinion slides over where the clip was?

I ordered a set of brass pinions from ebay, so i will be using one of those for it..

You need to use a press or vice like explained in Micro T forums, but you aren't removing the shaft and flipping it. you are just pushing in the shaft that sticks out back into the motor so it comes out the other side of the motor.

if you compare this picture to the stock picture you posted it may help
http://postimage.org/image/e36kmutg/

Evilinside 07-22-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinbleh (Post 3198147)

Have you tried to PM SpeedyG?

dustinbleh 07-22-2011 04:14 PM

I understand that.. so then the c clip is not used at all. that is where i got confused.

No, havent tried to contact him. I decided to go this route instead because I am WAYY to impatient to wait forever for a motor, and i already got rid of the stock esc and ordered the brushless one, so im just going to give this a try. I'm sure i will be able to figure it out.

spoo76 07-22-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinbleh (Post 3198198)
I understand that.. so then the c clip is not used at all. that is where i got confused.

No, havent tried to contact him. I decided to go this route instead because I am WAYY to impatient to wait forever for a motor, and i already got rid of the stock esc and ordered the brushless one, so im just going to give this a try. I'm sure i will be able to figure it out.

another option is a 130 can motor. it will require a custom motor plate and because of the bigger shaft a different pinion. some use a spare gear from a micro trans ( the smallest gear) but I just took a brass pinion and opened the hole with a drill bit and file. another plus is being brushed you can use the stock electronics

jevyguy 07-27-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinbleh (Post 3198198)

The clip is not needed because the magnets in the motor hold it all together. Just push the shaft through using a small hammer, it doesnt take much.
I also ordered the brass pinion gears and I think I am using the biggest one. You have to glue the pinion to the shaft and try yo get it centered cause the brass pinions have a slightly larger hole than the shaft on the motor

spoo76 07-27-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jevyguy (Post 3205660)
The clip is not needed because the magnets in the motor hold it all together. Just push the shaft through using a small hammer, it doesnt take much.
I also ordered the brass pinion gears and I think I am using the biggest one. You have to glue the pinion to the shaft and try yo get it centered cause the brass pinions have a slightly larger hole than the shaft on the motor

another option is to get a $1 or 2 for a mini C clamp at home depot or autoparts store, and push it through a hole drilled in wood or something.less chance to bend the shaft that way. not that the motors are expensive but Hobbyking has tiered shipping and it takes a few weeks for the cheap option.

the pinions in the 4 pc kit are 10t,12,14t & 17t I believe. 14t & 17t seem like they would be to big and kill the torque. how well does it run that way?what spur gear are you using?

dustinbleh 07-27-2011 05:43 PM

I actually used a small tack hammer to push the shaft through and it was a non issue.. went right through with 3-4 taps, and no bending occurred.

I used the 10t brass pinion and wish i would have gone larger.. it has so little wheel speed with this pinion that its painful to drive between obstacles.. Im thinking the 14t would give it enough wheel speed and maintain PLENTY of torque.. (believe me, this motor has torque to spare..)

I have been planning on ordering a metal spur gear as my stock plastic gear is not true, and i think i will go with a 52t spur to try and regain wheel speed while keeping most of the torque. I'll let ya know how that works :)

jevyguy 07-27-2011 05:44 PM

I'll check to see what exact gearing i am running, but I geared it up because the motor is way slow. It runs pretty well, It has a little lack in torque but only when in a big bind and still it usually pulls through it. I think I put the metal 52 on it and at least the 14t pinion... it needs all the speed it can get with the driving I do. Ive got a 3s lipo on the way that I am going to try in it.
Bending the shaft isnt really the issue. Bending the outrunner is the issue, the aluminum is so thin that it will tweek easy. The c-clamp and wood would be a good option

dustinbleh 07-27-2011 05:45 PM

*oh, and i got lucky when gluing the pinion.. not sure how, but its basically perfectly straight. If anyone wants or needs one of my other pinions (12t, 14t, 17t) just shoot me a PM, no reason to buy a whole other set when i have these not being used :)

spoo76 07-27-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jevyguy (Post 3205728)
I'll check to see what exact gearing i am running, but I geared it up because the motor is way slow. It runs pretty well, It has a little lack in torque but only when in a big bind and still it usually pulls through it. I think I put the metal 52 on it and at least the 14t pinion... it needs all the speed it can get with the driving I do. Ive got a 3s lipo on the way that I am going to try in it.
Bending the shaft isnt really the issue. Bending the outrunner is the issue, the aluminum is so thin that it will tweek easy. The c-clamp and wood would be a good option

definitely post your results on 3s. Hobby king says it will only take 2s but Im curious to see how long it lasts on 3s, They arent always correct on the specs.

for example this motor is said to have a 1.5mm shaft like the losi micro motors but its 2mm like the 130 motors. (its the bigger of the 2 in the pic)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6552
Still its cheap, bigger than the hexitronic 5g and its 3000kv. it should have gobs of torque and decent speed. For the Pinion i just used a brass 12t ran a slightly smaller drill bit through it and then fine tuned it with a round file just like you would for the 130 can big blocks.
HobbyKing says it can handle a 3s but i havent ordered a 3s yet because the motor isnt mounted. I still need to make a motor plate.

dustinbleh 07-27-2011 06:36 PM

hmm.. id definitely be interested in seeing how the 3000kv does.. Also would like to see how the 5g runs on 3s.. i thought about ordering an extra motor and a 3s lipo, but if someone else is willing to try it out, then go for it "thumbsup"

jevyguy 07-29-2011 10:35 AM

My gearing is 17/52, as tall as I could get it. With the 3s battery there is no slow speed resolution. it jumps off the line and goes faster than I want it to at the slowest speed. I cant give a report on the top speed because I lost a motor screw and every time I gas is the pinion falls away from the spur. I might have to gear it back down depending on how fast the top speed is when i get a motor screw