Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Evil's Home Built Rock Crawling Course *Videos & Pics*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Evil's Home Built Rock Crawling Course *Videos & Pics*

Ok, so I had a sheet of cheap light weight wood, some cans of Great Stuff Big Gap filler spray foam, some cardboard boxes, a kitchen knife, and several hours of free time and a little bit of spray texture paint...

EDIT #1:
Video posted below!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIzJ8oKju6w)
My buddy recording me trying out the new course.

EDIT #2:
Video number two posted below!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzwlGpy7uAg)
Me on my Micro Eclipse build and my buddy on my Blade TMC build (the Blade TMC has stock tires and servo back on it, which is different from the build thread so I wanted to mention it)

Last edited by Evilinside; 08-01-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Before a little touch up work and a little more paint was applied to get the pictures you see above, a buddy and I decided to test out the course. lol

Here is me with my Micro Eclipse, and my buddy using my iPhone to record some video. The iPhone sucks for this sort of thing, so you'll hear my buddy talking because he's holding the phone, but anyone else has to shout to be heard.

I took some video of my buddy piloting my Blade TMC, but I was trying to basically follow his crawling in a point-of-view style recording, but just ended up being really shaky video and kind of hard to watch, so I didn't upload that video.

Once the paint dries, I'll use my Eclipse and my friend will use my Blade TMC, and we will do a video of both of us trying to crawl this thing.

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIzJ8oKju6w
Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

lol..! great course. looks like 50 cans of foam!
Elastokinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastokinematic View Post
lol..! great course. looks like 50 cans of foam!
18 cans, lol

I estimated 20 cans, and I was pretty impressed I guessed that accurately.

That stuff is the "Big Gap" filler, it is literally twice as much foam because it expands to twice the size, so twice as much foam for 60 cents more. So, including the board, it was like a $70 project, roughly.

My buddies pitched in for the paint.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Without using a bunch of boxes it would probably be about 50 cans of foam, but yes using boxes is a must.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #6

That really sweet looking hope you have some good times on it
rustynails78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thank you!

A friend of mine stopped by today, when he saw it he asked if I'd like him to paint it for me. I told him I'd like it to be a Grand Canyon type look, he said no problem and gave me a list of paint to pick up. Very cool!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I got some more video, like I was stating I'd do some crawling with my friend using my other crawler. The video is uploading now, will post the link when it's done.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

well if you wanna try a similar but different route. I found some 2 part ABfoam.

http://www.fxsupply.com/poly/poly.html

its the same as this stuff that I have been getting at work that is packaging for windshields. comes in a 1x1 block of carvable foam.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Oh, interesting. Looks like it is expensive though.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

at 3 bucks for a can of great stuff i think the 2 part is cheaper. just a thought. i dont have the mix i have the after product..the foam. Im making some interesting obsticles
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

2nd video is up;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzwlGpy7uAg
Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #13

looks awesome man, soon youu add more levels and foam lol, i can almost guarantee it
blasterracer817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterracer817 View Post
looks awesome man, soon youu add more levels and foam lol, i can almost guarantee it

Yup! lol

I already have two bridges made, what I've been crawling on.

My plans are to make removable legs and prop the big guy up in the air about 3 feet. Take busted brick and stone, basically stuff I can get for free, and make a course out of that on the floor (once I have a designated area for doing so). The Floor course will go in and out underneath the above course, keeping the course foot print nice and compact. Then I'll take the two bridges I made and put one from the floor leading up to the above course, and one from the course leading to another platform of similar size.

I'm also going to do some price checking and see if it is applicable for me to be able to make and sell courses like this to anyone interested in having one themselves. They'd all be slightly different as they are custom made, and I'd be looking at doing them in a pieces fashion so they can be shipped a lot easier.

But after I get done painting this thing all up, I'll certainly post up the final result, and if anyone might be interested in something like this, I am looking into custom building these for the micro nuts like me.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #15

Man thats an awesome course glad i could help with it.
BloodWaterX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodWaterX2 View Post
Man thats an awesome course glad i could help with it.

To everyone else, this is the buddy piloting my Blade TMC in the second video and the camera man in the first video.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Can i have one of those A&W's?

BTW how do you like the MRC pro? for the price Im REALLY tempted to pick one up and have the electronics already.. but Id much rather have a MOA rig or a 1/10 scaler. Just hard to say no to the price haha
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Can i have one of those A&W's?

BTW how do you like the MRC pro? for the price Im REALLY tempted to pick one up and have the electronics already.. but Id much rather have a MOA rig or a 1/10 scaler. Just hard to say no to the price haha
Those A&W's are up for grabs to guests!

I have yet to use the MrC Pro. It looks awesome and articulation is unbelievable... but I have no idea how long the amazing price is going to last, so I picked one up for 65 bucks. I've slowly been buying the electronics for it, I've picked up a Tekin FXr Pro and a Crawler Mafia contraband 17t double wind brushed motor so far. I already have receiver, so I still need a servo, bec, and battery. But the parts are getting bought at a slow pace, because I haven't shifted my complete focus onto it yet, I'm still focusing on the micro stuff.

I'm not sure I'll get into anything bigger than this 1.9 though. The 1.9 is still small enough that I can tear around couches and what not inside if the weather is bad or I'm feeling lazy. Anything larger and it's just not going to be functional inside at all, and that is key for me.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Here's the build thread I started on it;
MRC Pro Build w/ Evilinside
Old 08-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

If you know of a boat dealership. Go there an ask for the foam blocks that are around the outboards during shipping,an flat sheets when boats are shipped stacked. We throw most of it away at my shop until I started my course
Whop is offline   Reply With Quote