Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: 180 rc motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #1

Default 180 rc motor

I wonder if I can use the micro crawler his electronics to drive a 180 or 131 motor.
andyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyms View Post
I wonder if I can use the micro crawler his electronics to drive a 180 or 131 motor.
Yes. you can use a 130 motor, you just need to make a new motor plate

Big Block'n the losi trans.

Big Block Campbell Tuber with DIG...when's it gunna stop?

http://www.microtforum.com/forum/vie...ghlight=blockn
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

If you make a new motor plate, be sure to make the motor slide vertically instead of horizontally. The tranny has a open side against the motor and adjusting the motor horizontally opens up that hole and allows debris to get in and chew up your tranny gears and bearings. As a safeguard, I close the hole with a strip of packing tape to seal it up. The horizontal slide method also causes width fitment issues in the chassis too.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #4

I have no intention to put a 180 motor on a micro crawler. I am transfering a Redcat Sumo (no crawler) into a kind of FOFF/rock racer. I would like to replace the 27 mhz electronics from the sumo with the rx/esc from one of my micro crawlers and need to know that this one can handle the motor without gooing into smoke. I will also replace the 5-wire servo with a HiTec HS-65MG so I wil need an other rx/esc combo. Any other sugestions?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have no intention to put a 180 motor on a micro crawler. I am transfering a Redcat Sumo (no crawler) into a kind of FOFF/rock racer. I would like to replace the 27 mhz electronics from the sumo with the rx/esc from one of my micro crawlers and need to know that this one can handle the motor without gooing into smoke. I will also replace the 5-wire servo with a HiTec HS-65MG so I wil need an other rx/esc combo. Any other sugestions?
ok so let me try to clear this up.
You want to use a losi micro crawler ESC/RX unit to power and control your 1/24 sumo buggy and use a 180 motor?
the Losi micro crawler electronics can handle a bigger 130 motor, though I haven't tried a 180 i wouldn't be worried about any damage.
one thing you have to consider is there is no brake on the ESC. It goes from forward to instant full reverse.
if do some searching in the losi micro forum you should be able to find some info on micro ESC choices.

Tekin B1r is popular. ive never used it but its about $50 and is brushed only

The Castle creations Mamba Micro (not pro version ) is $60 but does brushed & brushless and is even smaller

Then for $10 + $10 shipping is the Polk Pro 0100 ESC.
its still small, cheap and basic. it is brushed only and can handle a 2cell lipo
Old 08-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Your plan is solid! The Losi electronics will do fine. I have two similar builds going, one out of a Sumo and the other a Losi Crawler. No worries! If anything, the 180 would put less strain on the esc because the motor will see less strain to do the same work as the Losi stock motor and less heat buildup, which kills electronics in short order. Do it!!!
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. The lack of braking is no big problem. I run the stock 131 motor for the moment but the 180 is on his way. Performs allready well with metal hardware and Miclaws.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The lack of braking is no big problem. I run the stock 131 motor for the moment but the 180 is on his way. Performs allready well with metal hardware and Miclaws.
I forget the size of the losi micro motor but its not 130 as xmods and miniZ have the bigger 130 motor. a 180 motor I believe is just a longer can version of a 130

I borrowed this pic from Chevy55
on the left is a 130 motor on the right is an atomicBBII which is stock losi size