Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: ***Newbies check in here 1st and introduce yourselves.***

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #181

Default Re: ***Newbies check in here 1st and introduce yourselves.***

Hi guys. Just getting back into the RC scene after about 11 years now I think. Hard to believe its been that long. My last RC was a Losi LST, might as well start back up with another losi. I ordered 2 micro trail trekkers about a week ago, after playing with my son and his lightening McQueen RC. HA. I'm currently stationed in the UK, so just doing the long wait for Amazon to make the drop at the ol APO, then the long wait for the APO. They need to hurry up, getting the itch bad. Thank goodness RC4WD is out of the trail finders or I would have dropped the hammer on that. Looking forward to surfing the site. CYA
Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #182
Rock Crawler

Welcome!
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #183

I've intentionally avoided the Surface section of the LHS since the quad craze lured me back into messing about with models. I finally gave in and picked up an Axial G6 kit at the first of the Summer. As I expected, I can see that I am on a downhill ride into poverty from here. A link to the Linx Micro Tech FB page later and I have a Micro Leaf Spring Chassis and a Losi Trekker on the way to meet up with 65 Chevy Step Side body... should be fun!
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #184
Quarry Creeper

Already posted a thread, but for the sake of decorum "Hello!" My Trekker is my only crawler (at the moment), and I've owned it for going on 2 years now. I also run a Micro-SCT BL, an old-school Traxxas Rustler electric, a nitro T-Maxx, a Blade Nano CPX heli, and an Eflite UMX Beast 3D airplane. (that I've crashed literally every time I've flown it...)
ajsmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:51 PM   #185

I researched and finally bought a Vaterra Slickrock to run with my kids ECX Tempers. The mods and different routes to take to upgrade the unit are not the easiest to find so I created the "Vaterra Slickrock Owners Group" on FB so people could post pics of mods and ideas and help them to sites like this one.
Crisc918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #186
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisc918 View Post
I researched and finally bought a Vaterra Slickrock to run with my kids ECX Tempers. The mods and different routes to take to upgrade the unit are not the easiest to find so I created the "Vaterra Slickrock Owners Group" on FB so people could post pics of mods and ideas and help them to sites like this one.
From what I understand, it's more or less just a rebadged Losi Mini Rock Crawler with some minor improvements and different body work. So I imagine anything that goes for the Losi MRC also goes for the Slickrock.
ajsmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #187

Hello, my name is Levi. I'm from Madison, WI. I'm planning on getting a losi trail trekker and taking a 2000 Silverado model and replicating my real truck
microsilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #188
I wanna be Dave

Welcome, Levi.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #189

I forgot to add, l work at a hobby store, hard to go home empty handed after my shift ends haha
microsilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #190
Pebble Pounder

Forgot to introduce myself, and since I finally own the micro trail trekker, I thought it was time to officially say hello. There will be a build thread soon, all things stock make me itch to use my tools and start machining!!! The fun has already begun with fungi and his sweet creations...but the wife made me let her wrap the damn thing so I'll be building things blind for a while.
Creepcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #191

Hey fellas. Back in the game this past fall with a Twin Hammers after flying planes for a few years. That is still fun but I forgot how much fun it is to build a crawler or truck. Starting out simple and turning the TH into a Rally Bug following some other build threads to get my feet wet again. After all, my last car was a Kyosho Optima back in the day.

Now looking for a Trail Trekker or a Sumo to tinker with on the cold winter nights, but not sure which one is better to get to mod and play with. What has more aftermarket support and longevity? Also considering the Banggood HSP 94480 as an option too but not sure if losing out on a Losi radio is worth it.

Hope to see you around the forums and if all goes well with the TH Bug I might post my progress, although it won't compare to some of the build talent on here. Amazing stuff!
eMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #192
Rock Crawler

New to micro guy here. Looks interesting can't wait to get started. Using a micro comp crawler to build a scaler of some sort. Looking like a jeep or a Toyota fj.
EMUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #193

I have handed down my micro to my youngest son. Now there are two micros and a wraith. I have the sct micro motors on order for more speed. Did I make a mistake or will the micros see some more speed?
Pxwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #194

Hi, my RC life started with a Tamiya Super Champ and later a Kyosho Optima Mid SE.

Fast forward 30 years, and I bought my kids Losi Micro Trekkers, because the $30 RC cars I got them never lasted more than a couple of days, liked the Trekker so much, got one for myself.
First need more runtime, so LiPo's, then built in ESC killed LiPo battery due to no LiPo cutoff, so I got HobbyKing XC-10A ESC's with HK-GT2B radios, great price, and Losi Xcelorin 10250KV brushless motors...
And now I'm stuck because the pinion gear does not make contact with the spur gear, the Xcelorin motor diameter is too big to get close enough.

I found many threads on hopups, but few on gearboxes, and the few I did find point to supplier or manufacturer websites that no longer exist.

What are my options?
Larger pinion gear (LOSB1709), but then the Trekker will race not crawl.
Replacement gearbox with more motor play and gearing options, which one, I see many options for MicroT, but not for Trekker?

Any advice welcome
Thank you

Last edited by ptr727; 05-15-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Not grasshopper, super champ
ptr727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #195
RCC Addict

The official word is there is a lipo cutoff. In fact running with Lipo causes the ESC to light a red LED showing it knows it is being powered by a Lipo. Not sure why your battery died. You are concerned about changing a pinion gear to a larger one due to the increase in speed... But you are ok with putting in a brushless motor with 10x the rpm of the original stock motor. My advise for you is to put in a big block motor. A 130 sized brushed motor will pack your rig with a lot more power and a little more speed. There are slot car motor available with windings as high as 80 turns, which is almost perfect, I would prefer 90 turns but that requires rewinding. A brushless motor in your rig will eat your axles worm gears if you are not very careful.
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #196
RCC Addict

Putting in a 130 sized motor requires an inexpensive adapter plate. Upgrades | Lynx Micro Tech
Old 05-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
The official word is there is a lipo cutoff. In fact running with Lipo causes the ESC to light a red LED showing it knows it is being powered by a Lipo. Not sure why your battery died. You are concerned about changing a pinion gear to a larger one due to the increase in speed... But you are ok with putting in a brushless motor with 10x the rpm of the original stock motor. My advise for you is to put in a big block motor. A 130 sized brushed motor will pack your rig with a lot more power and a little more speed. There are slot car motor available with windings as high as 80 turns, which is almost perfect, I would prefer 90 turns but that requires rewinding. A brushless motor in your rig will eat your axles worm gears if you are not very careful.
The stock ESC drains the battery down all the way, I've lost two LiPo packs with dead cells, and every time I charge I have to run the pack on my bench PSU to get the cell voltage up, else the balance charger says the pack voltage is too low.

Finding a small brushed ESC was a challenge, I did find the now discontinued Castle Sidewinder Micro that supports brushed and brushless, but the HobbyKing ESC was 1/6th the price for brushless.

Yes, brushless faster, maybe too fast, therefore my concern about gearing!

Can you please post links to the slot car motor you recommend, and a small brushed ESC with LiPo cutoff support?
ptr727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #198
RCC Addict

I have heard both sides of the esc cut off issue. I haven't done specific testing so will not comment further. I think the brushless motor is too fast to fix with gearing. Here is a good motor for $10. PN Racing Mini-Z PNWC 70 Turn Offcial Stock Motor You have to find a .3mod pinion to fit the 2mm shaft, or make one. I have received some but have not tested them yet. You can mount the motor as normal but will require a larger pinion to reach. I think 20tooth but have not verified that yet. You can also mount the motor from the front using standoffs and use as small a pinion as will fit on a 2mm shaft. I got the motor plates ready but I don't have the standoffs or pinions available yet.

Name:  temp-06.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  temp-05.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  temp-04.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  83.9 KB
Old 06-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #199
RCC Addict

Hi all! I'm Juan!
I got a couple of Micro crawlers about 3 years ago for my children(fraternal twins), anyway they played with them for the first year, and now have been sitting in the shelf for the last two!
Batteries died so I got fresh ones, but the wall chargers take forever and overheat, so I am wondering how many of you have changed the plugs and charge them with a regular charger?
I have a couple of Team Checkpoint TC1030s that I use for all my other RC needs, can the little batteries handle it?
That's the first thing I need to address before they use them again, now the kids are getting older and want to play with them, and go on adventures with me!
Any knowledge is well appreciated, thanks!
Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #200
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting Dragon View Post
Hi all! I am wondering how many of you have changed the plugs and charge them with a regular charger?
I have a couple of Team Checkpoint TC1030s that I use for all my other RC needs, can the little batteries handle it?
That's the first thing I did... Use a normal peak/lipo charger for the stock nimh battery.
Then shortly thereafter I went to 180Nah 2 cell (2S 7.4v) lipo... Almost everyone goes the lipo route. The run times are easily double or more vs the Nimh battery.

That TC1030 will absolutely charge must any battery you need it to.
Just make sure you have the charge current for nimh batteries at an appropriate level.
I assume you're dealt with lipo batteries as you have that nice charger, but make sure to always balance charge in the proper lipo charge mode sheen you go to the tiny bats. Charging at 0.18 A would be appropriate and safe for a 180Nah lipo battery for example.

Enjoy the micros!
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote