Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like an affordable Holmes Hobbies brushed Micro ESC? Would you like an affordable Holmes Hobbies brushed Micro ESC? Post
Yes I would love an affordable micro brushed ESC! 58 96.67%
please choose option 1, this is just to track those interested 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Would you like an affordable Holmes Hobbies brushed Micro ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Would you like an affordable Holmes Hobbies brushed Micro ESC?

No they have not said they are interested in building one but I was chatting with someone interested in putting a basic micro brushed ESC together for us and he suggested asking Holmes hobbies as well.

Many of us have fried a stock McRC ESC and dont want to spend $50 on a spare used one.
Others want to upgrade the radio for better performance or extra channels (MUCH better low speed crawling with a better radio)

Now sure we have the brushed tekin B1R for $60 which is a great ESC
or even better IMO the castle creations Micro sidewinder which handles brushed & brushless for $60

or the brushless Turnigy trackstar 18A (not great with low speed IMO) or Turnigy car 18A for around $20 but most of us prefer brushed and it would be nice to not have to swap motors

so far there are no affordable Micro brushed ESCs with programmable or no reverse delay.
Maybe if we can show there is enough interest Mr Holmes would consider putting together a small basic non programmable crawler ESC

to keep it affordable it needs to be simple. a small size, 2S lipo capable,strong crawler brake and no reverse delay. with no programing needed would awesome if it could be done for less than a B1R or Micro sidewinder

So lets all post here to show we are interested and feel free to get others that may be interested to post here!
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
rik
RCC Addict

interested

Last edited by rik; 11-07-2011 at 08:29 PM.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Weird... it was a poll.. i didn't know it would let anyone reply before i was done
BTW please just choose option one. it wouldn't let me do a poll with one option
Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

micro BRXL!!! Id like a 3s capable with build in BEC and Castle link ability.. of course..
Elastokinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastokinematic View Post
micro BRXL!!! Id like a 3s capable with build in BEC and Castle link ability.. of course..
that would defeat the entire purpose of this. you can easily pick up a micro sidewinder or even a mamba micro and have 3S and use castle link for around $50-60
the point of this is an affordable basic micro crawler ESC with a good crawler brake and instant reverse with no programing needed. 3S would be nice to have, but not if it drives the price up. id love to see something simple and cheap that can be done for half the price of a micro sidewinder or B1R ($30)
to be honest simple isnt even the biggest goal. id LOVE something like a micro sidewinder or B1R for $30 but that wont happen, so basic it is

plus like i said before. it would be GREAT for those that want to upgrade to a better radio. heck if it could be done for around $30 you could spend another $30 on a GT3B and have 3 channels with a better radio and ESC for around $60.

I already have 2 micro sidewinders(which i love), 2 of the polk pro 0100's and on the way 2 cheap ebay brushed ESCs i took a gamble on and i STILL want a dedicated micro crawler brushed ESC. the sidewinder and B1R are the only 2 with instant reverse. that 1 second or more delay sucks on the rocks
Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I completely agree on this. I thought about getting one of the cheap ebay ones(like $12 I think) but went against it. I currently have a Tekin B1r and the thing is a beast now. As far as the drag brake goes it doesn't need it when using the losi axles as they are worm axles and don free wheel like the sumo axles do. Leaving that option out may reduce the cost some more. Having simple button programming would be fine. I really like the simple programming on the B1r. It is alot easier than the micro sidewinder but the sidewinder as you stated has the brushed/brushless option.
BerticusPryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

LOL! keepin me grounded..
Old 11-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #8

i think this i super idea! if it was small enough to fit in the TMC chassis or any other small comp chassis it would be easier to run dig or 4 wheel steering with a 3 or 4 channel radio.
The Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Ill add a bit of reality to what can and can't be done, then give me some more feedback!

The price difference between a programmable controller and a non-programmable one is nothing. You don't pay more for the ability to hook up to a computer, it is a feature that is built into the brains that control an ESC. What you do pay more for is a case, advertising, heatsink, nicer FETS, thicker copper on the PCB, etc...

So I would ask, how low of quality do you want? In reality, if I made a new ESC I couldn't hit a price too much lower than a B1R if I used quality components. I can't hit anywhere near the price on the cheap ebay units. I would estimate $40 the bottom end of what I could get made without scrimping on quality or manufacturer.

Would something the size of a sidewinder micro work, or is that a beast inside the micro crawler?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I voted for option 2 just because I could guess that's what they call civil disobedience
soutthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Jon at $40 I see that as a viable option as far as price and size wise yeah anyhting in the realm of the B1r or micro sidewinder would be fine. Going the route of a flat board with some srink on it similar to the micro sidewinder would prolly be ideal as most people would decase it anyhow. heatsink shouldnt be an issue as neither of those have one and you honestly dont need anyhting over a 2s lipo anyhow as very few motors that anyone would use would'nt stand up to the brunt of a 3s for long. Hell if you could make it for that price and size you could sign me up for 2 of them. Hell even at $45 your still cheaper than the cheapest B1r. I got mine for a steal at $55 with shipping.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I agree we don't need some high power micro esc when that's already covered and not really needed in these micro crawlers. $40 for an esc that you can drop into a micro cralwler sounds good to me :nice:
Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
rik
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
I agree we don't need some high power micro esc when that's already covered and not really needed in these micro crawlers. $40 for an esc that you can drop into a micro cralwler sounds good to me :nice:
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Nvm. Damn you taptalk...lol

Last edited by spoo76; 11-08-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastokinematic View Post
LOL! keepin me grounded..
Lol not at all! I just thought keeping it simple would help keep the price around $35. That would be about half the price of anything else which is perfect.
Also i forgot to mention the ability to run 130 sized motors would be a plus. I doubt that would be a problem
Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I bought a used cobalt puller a while back. The power and construction of this motor is friggin awesome. I would buy a holmes hobbies ESC because of that motor alone. No need to advertise...save that budget for components on the ESC.

dont mean to hijack..but when can we see a 130can cobalt puller/micro BRXL combo!!!??? SIGN ME UP! I got the itchy Paypal finger!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
sbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
strong crawler brake
Eh?

Worm?
sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbb View Post
Eh?

Worm?
as mentioned already the losi isnt the only crawler out there...there is the redcat sumo, Rc4WD micro Trex axles,scratch builds ect ect. there is also at least one person who modded his McRC to have dig with freewheel.
besides what would it hurt?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I mean from the lost of responses and with what I think would be fine is the following.

Linear forward/reverse
2s/3s cutoff
drag brake

neutral band adjust and current limiter might be a nice addition but not really needed in such a small motor. If his were to be use in say a 1/18 then it may be a viable option to increase the sales on it. If HH were to build these then I see no problem with them being used in a 1/18 scale crawler. Now just having the first 3 things in there and only really needing to adjust the last two options that could be done with push buttons similar to the B1r therefor not needing to re-calibrate with the tx like the micro sidewinder requires for setup and change of the parameters. Alternately it could be done with small jumpers on the board to reduce cost even further but could be problematic if one of the jumpers came loose or lost. The lipo cutoff could be decided by a single 2 pin jumper on 3 pins. Left and middle for 2s, right and middle for 3s, or none for NIMH mode. Drag brake might be slightly trickier to do with jumpers though. When using the losi axles there really would be no need for the drag brake but when using any of the others it really would enhance them even more. There have been alot of good comments added to this. This is just my .02.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

someone needs to develope an Iphone app that works like a castle link.