Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: losi widners and tire question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default losi widners and tire question

anyone use the losi wideners mentioned here
Losi LOSB1737 - Micro 4x4 Stub Axles & Wheel Hexes
would these widen it enough.
I am thinking of getting some interco super swamper/boggers (Interco Super Swamper TSL/Bogger Micro Crawler Tires) or mini qlos and rcwd beadlock wheels I am also looking at crawler x widners. the bwd aluminums are really nice but a little out of my price range.
the miniqlo sounds like "the" tire but boggers are a few bucks cheaper and I am afraid the qlos will be too big on this thing and bog down the stock motor
thoughts, opinions
also is the hot racing tranny case worth it.
thanks
going on this little guy here

Last edited by discgolferlee; 01-12-2012 at 10:38 PM.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: losi widners and tire question

Yep all my builds have them, add equivalent to CX wideners and don't need barrel nuts.

The HR case is almost a required mod IMO, smooths the trans out considerably. I would suggest modding to run a 59T micro rally spur if you keep the stock motor, not that there are a lot of options at this time.

If you get the Qlo's, consider doing the DANALLY mod #1 to the stock rims ... it'll help keep the tires out of the body in the rear and off the upper links in the front.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 01-12-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I ran the stock motor and MiClaws on BWD wheels. The trick is to gear down and run a Li-Po pack. I ran the 56T spur, but the 59 will do you more good. I'd also upgrade to a 9T brass pinion (you can get them here: Pinions (the small gears) Radical RC) to help gear down even more.
8695Beaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
Yep all my builds have them, add equivalent to CX wideners and don't need barrel nuts.

The HR case is almost a required mod IMO, smooths the trans out considerably. I would suggest modding to run a 59T micro rally spur if you keep the stock motor, not that there are a lot of options at this time.

If you get the Qlo's, consider doing the DANALLY mod #1 to the stock rims ... it'll help keep the tires out of the body in the rear and off the upper links in the front.
Any more info on this spur mod. what tooth pinion do I run with it. thanks guys. Oh I do run lipo right now and going to order a few more lipos soon
Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

This Post details the mod ... EGG was the first I've seen to do it so he'll get the credit.
Crawlerado micros fleet

With the 59T spur I had to use the smallest pinion (10T?), but I could have opened the stock holes more to make room to go bigger ... but why?

I've found the best washers can be had from the Micro-T slipper/gear set ($3.75 at my LHS) it includes a double D metal washer and two round hole washers ... makes it easier to keep the washers in place. I also modded my ouput shaft and only used two washers instead of using more washers to move the spur out more ... either way works just as well.

As for Lipo's I've got some Turnigy Nanotechs 750's coming ... they are really small length/width wise but slightly thicker. They are slightly wider than the zippy 350's a bunch of us are running. $3 from HobbyKing for the 1S's and $5 for 20 2S taps from e-bay (going to convert all my 1S's to 2S) ... I snagged 6 batt's and plan to make 3 2S packs. They are the right size to 'snap' into the rear tray. 750mAh may seem big but they are the same size as the 600's I have been using in my Vid's just 1mm thicker.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 01-13-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

When Egg is talking about the case, he means the gear cover right? I might do one of these mods soon, it sounds pretty easy and I'm going to be tearing apart my trans soon anyway...
Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

yeah the cover ... not an issue for me as it got tossed literally years ago.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

so is it a direct drop on with that spur and the cover just won't fit on it
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Doing the mods as required and due to the size of the spur itself ... the stock (and HR) gear cover is no able to be used again. Not that it was ever really needed anyway.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

i must be blind because I still haven't seen what the mods are. the link showed a picture of the gear but didn't see mod info
Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

gotta read the writing above the picture. It's a fairly straight forward mod.
I can do a write up tonight if you need.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I read the description. a little confused but I will figure it out if I take micro apart. I got very little wrenching time on this thing so still learning this rig. so you need aluminum 59t rally spur and aluminum slipper to do this mod or can you plastic versions of both.

thanks for answering my dumb questions
Old 01-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Haven't tried the plastic slipper yet, had an aluminum slipper already, but I imagine the plastic outside slipper plate should work as well. You just need the washer with a Double D hole to retain the spacers if you don't already have one. The slipper and such are the same for the Micro-t so that's where the aluminum slipper and the Double D washer come from. LOSB1512 is the slipper and spur part number to get the Double D hole washer and some spacers for cheap (as I said $3.75 a set at my local canuck HS so you'll probably pay less).
Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Putting up a how-to would be greatly appreciated.For those of use who don't have other micros, it's kind of hard to visualize what you're talking about.

losi widners and tire question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
axle widners crawler nub Axial SCX-10 2 09-22-2011 06:42 PM
WICKED LOSI MICRO Wheel Widners BLADE Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 06-23-2010 07:57 PM
wheel widners PONYBOY87LX Tamiya Clod Buster 5 02-19-2008 09:23 PM
Widners For The Axial10 79' Chevy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 10-08-2007 04:17 PM