Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Phatmac's Losi Micro - DP "Torsion" Chassis Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Phatmac's Losi Micro - DP "Torsion" Chassis Review

--- Story ---

I shelved my Micro Rock Crawler when I broke a shock while disassembling to fix the "tight" transmission.

Disappointed in the build quality of the Micro Crawler, I quickly forgot about it while using the Receiver/ESC in my Micro-T--Wow, that little car came alive with no glitching indoors.

Of course, all the micro crawler builds kept me looking at those great little worm axles. I played with a couple of mock-ups of actual torsion setups for the little guy with no links, but each variation came up short.

When the DP Chassis became available, at $15 it left nothing to lose, and I wouldn't have to fiddle with those darn shocks, so I ordered one up.

--- Tech ---

Chassis: The upper arms are attached loosely to the servo and rear axle plate. I am looking to source longer screws and either file or sleeve them so the arms move left to right without binding.

I put the electronics in the stock positions, to test it stock, and I think two of the chassis holes (the ones under the body mount holes) are in the wrong spot (next time it's apart I'll compare to stock chassis) so the 3-part brace under the ESC plate hit the body post mount screw. I just clipped one of the legs, and didn't attach this lower brace.

Transmission: Yes, with concerted effort, test fitting, and lots of patient X-Acto blade scraping to elongate the bearing holes in the tranny, its smooth as silk.

Slipper: I like the slipper on the Micro-T, not so much on the Crawler. I have an original Axial Kit, no slipper, and I've only killed one spur (poor mesh, my fault). so, I roughed up the slipper parts on the Crawler and the spur gear and glued them into a solid unit.

Tires: After removing the fake rings, I was able to peel off the tires from the front of the rim, no cutting, no damage. I flipped the tires inside out, and used an X-Acto to cut the foams free where they were stuck to the tire glue, and have nearly perfect foams left over. Tossed them, maybe to never be used again.

Wheel weight: I don't have any lead shot or BBs, so I used lead clip-on fishing weights, and filled the tires solid. I put in a few more weights in each tire than initally calculated, so they have to weigh 40 grams each. The chassis likes the weight. What I can't believe is that the tires have no give, but the rig is climbing great. I need to test some more, but it's as if the lugs are doing their job so much better because they're being pushed down so hard.

Run time: Using the stock battery pack, I'm getting 10 minutes of crawl time with the smallest pinion. The motor is hot, the ESC is warm. This is a huge improvement over the "tight spot" gearbox and slipping slipper times of ~5 minutes.

Pics and video: I'll take some relevant shots, please be patient.

--- Inital Rating ---

DP Torsion Chassis: 4.5/5

Pros: No Shocks, Price

Cons: Mounting hole placement
Phatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

it may not need upgrades but your course will!
losilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the time and effort.

I'm wondering if you can give us specifics about how the chassis is performing--under various situations on the rocks--in comparison to a typically modified stock chassis (or however your stocker was modified before). I totally appreciate your write-up and I see you providing context about the specs of your rig so we might get an idea of how all that works with the DP Chassis; forgive me, but I think much of the info feels more like a review of your own McRC (transmission, slipper, tires, run time, for instance), rather than specifics about the performance of DP's chassis. Dont get me wrong, this info is useful because I'm sure many of us have done these or similar modifications (I have)...so with more info about the DP we'd really know what good stuff we're in for!

I really look forward to your pictures! And I'd especially like to know more about how you feel about using longer screws for the torsion arms so they have some side-to-side play. This seems counter intuitive because I didn't think we wanted side play, do we? Or, are you saying that you think longer screws would help with movement while articulating? Tell us more, bro!
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks for the info. I just ordered this chassis a few days ago. The price was just to good not too. Plus the stock shocks suck donkey balls...
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I got my chassis in just a few days and have put about 10 packs through it.

It started a little stiff but after adding 20 grams to the wheels and breaking it in it loosened up. It stays planted better than stock and the torsion moves much smoother than the stock shocks. I have another stock micro running droop and it can't hang with the torsion and added weight. It also looks pretty damn cool. For 15$ I say ditch your shocks and pick up this chassis
Old 04-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I love mine.....just picked up a 1200mah 1S2P I am going to try on this chassis, with no shocks it should fit well and the run time will be out of this world!
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
I love mine.....just picked up a 1200mah 1S2P I am going to try on this chassis, with no shocks it should fit well and the run time will be out of this world!
got a link for the battery?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

There is no link...they are not commercially available

They have to be built
Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #9

Plese can you make a picture how to fit?
How to get the lipo: Split a 2s into 2x1S.

Greets from Munich
myrna
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
There is no link...they are not commercially available

They have to be built
Well aren't you special?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well I built the 1S2P 1200mah battery two days ago from 2 600mah cells....I did the test drive tonight......96 minutes
Old 05-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well I built the 1S2P 1200mah battery two days ago from 2 600mah cells....I did the test drive tonight......96 minutes
Nice Is it mounted on the front axle?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

No.....at 40x24x16 it is a rear deck mount only....LOL
Old 05-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'd love to have that 1200 battery pack, but I don't trust my soldering skills enough to not damage the cells. Wish I had a buddy that could do it for me.
Stoovey2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #15

Default Re: Phatmac's Losi Micro - DP "Torsion" Chassis Review

with the dp logo outward, I am not seeing how the chassis plates will work because the screw for the body post hits the triangular shaped deck brace
Truckin40s is offline   Reply With Quote