Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Stock losi trans gear ratio ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Lightbulb Stock losi trans gear ratio ?

Title says it all.Im looking for the gear ratio for the stock losi trans,considering that the stock spur gear and the smalest pinion gears that come w/ the crawler/trekker are used.since im gonna use one of those poulo gear motors in my next project that are going to be connected to a 2 speed transfer case (2:1 and 1:2).I need to know what geared motor should i use (considering i have 56:1,100:1,150:1,298:1 and 360:1 in the hobby shop near me)My goal is to acheve a higher gear ratio than the stock losi tranny,while on 1st gear.And a lower gear ratio (more speed/less torque) while on 2nd speed.I will make a review on what im thinking of using for the 2 speed t-case in the tread "need some help to make up my mind..." as soon i get back home and make some pic's.

Thanks
rapttor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Stock losi trans gear ratio ?

I'm not sure I can help u on the stock trany ratio but it might not matter. Just my opinion but I think if you try to make a pololu motor run a rig by itself and try to make it faster that little motor will most likely die quickly. The motors on those are even smaller than the stock losi motors. It might work ok if you only shoot for a lower gear ratio but otherwise that motor will suffer. I run the Redcat Sumo trany and motor on a set of Losi axles and it's stupid slow. The tranny gearing is the main reason for that too. It says right on the pololu products that they are not rated to be loaded up. They even warn that the motor will fry if it is stalled out AT ALL! I have a 1000 to 1 as a winch and I can't stall it. Before I got that one I had a 100 to 1 and fried it as a winch very fast by stalling it out.

I think the only motor that can handle a rig with the design of being faster and slower would be a big block. Finding the right trany/transfer case would be a challenge.

If anything, instead of the two speed tcase maybe look at the options of two losi motors that can be switched on a third channel. I made on a while back and posted pics and video of how it worked. I tell u it rocks. The 40t motor was at least 30% faster than stock and the 100t is sweet for crawling and is near 30% slower than stock. I am currently working on a dual big block (11ot and 50t) to do this in a buggy.

Like I said, most of this is opinion. I just wanna help u make an educated decision. Either way go for it! It's why we are all here...to try new things. Let's just say I fail twice as much as I succeed.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Stock losi trans gear ratio ?

Yeah,i've been thinking about those small poulo motors too.I will probably try geting a 100:1 poulo gear and swap it with the stock losi motor or perhaps one big block.The other motor i could use is a 180 turn heli-tail motor (about same diameter as losi,but longer) but that thing is stupidly slow.
rapttor is offline   Reply With Quote

Stock losi trans gear ratio ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trans gear ratio? pantablo Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 06-19-2009 10:31 AM
gear ratio is gear ratio w/trans? swell searcher General Crawlers 4 08-16-2008 01:56 PM
axial trans. gear ratio by itself. goobs General Crawlers 3 06-30-2008 10:03 AM