Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: The Chairmans Micro Trekker Stage One Complete

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default The Chairmans Micro Trekker STAGE TWO Complete!!!!!

DDT Predator 90t Motor
Hot Racing 56T Spur
Hot Racing 11T Pinion
Hot Racing Steering Link
Hot Racing Aluminum Gearbox
Hot Racing Aluminum Gearbox Cover (Trekker battery trays need to be cut out just a bit to accommodate the HR gearbox cover)
Gear Head RC 8Trax Micro Wheels
rc4wd Rock Crusher Tires

The tires are nice looking but gluing them was a pita and one of them was deformed. Maybe I will try another set down the road a wayz.

Dan's DDT Motor is the best thing you could buy for one of these little trucks,,!!!!! Smooth, lots of torque, and much better battery life.

The Gear Head RC 8Trax Micro Crawler Wheels are super nice. Anyone have some suggestions on how to glue tires to these tiny suckers on so they come out nice and round?

The plastic Losi gearbox had a major meltdown after 10 or 15 runs on the carpet so I can't recommend the Aluminum Gearbox enough. It should be your FIRST mod.

I would also add the Aluminum an Aluminum Spur when you switch out your gearbox, mine had an awful wobble when I opened the old gearbox. I took Dan's advice and glued the clutch plates to both sides of the spur so the slipper can't grind and create excessive heat.

I gave the Hot Racing Rear Lockouts a try but the axles they give you are just a wee bit short on the Trekker. What do I need to fix this? Micro Crawler Hubs?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900

Last edited by olblueyez; 05-22-2012 at 12:52 PM.
olblueyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Micro Differential - Crawler/Trekker = Problems

U refer to it as a diff...I call it the transmission. The nylon nut can get loose but the real problem is the trany case. It does become loose around the bearings and melting also happens. This all leads to slop and missallignment. the aluminum case has been around a while now and it really does fix the problems. Grease is always a good idea. I pull mine apart from time to time and coat the gears good. It's so smooth afterwards. Losi has know about the trany for a longtime. Some bind and some don't. I have had new ones that were smooth for the first few months and then developed a bind later.

My last note is how tight on the nut? It's a feel thing for the slip of the gears. It's just there to keep the motor from fully stalling out. I actually glue all my gears to the slipper and eliminate the slip altogether. Not sure what everyone else does but I don't see a need for my driving style, super low gearing,and 90 plus turn motors.

Hope that helps
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Dan, You Da Man!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The Chairmans Micro Trekker Stage One Complete

Nice looking Trekker! Regarding gluing the tires to the wheels, I have run mine without any glue. I just consider the tires and wheels an extra "slipper clutch".

-Jim
Gear Head RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Head RC View Post
Nice looking Trekker! Regarding gluing the tires to the wheels, I have run mine without any glue. I just consider the tires and wheels an extra "slipper clutch".

-Jim

I will give it a try, got some Mickey's and Swompers to try.

You run the foams? Trim the foams? Punch the tires?

Thanks for the complement.

You guys gonna do a micro chassis anytime?

Thanks,

Brooke

Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblueyez View Post
I will give it a try, got some Mickey's and Swompers to try.

You run the foams? Trim the foams? Punch the tires?

Thanks for the complement.

You guys gonna do a micro chassis anytime?

Thanks,

Brooke

A lot of people including myself run without foams. The truck is too light for foams imo. I run the boggers on mine. They work great!
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

The Trekker has a few more things!

Big Block Motor by Danally
Hot Racing Rear Lock Outs
rc4wd BeadLock Wheels
Mickey Thompson Baja's
Losi Aluminum Skid Plate
Losi Aluminum Rear Suspension Mount
Losi Aluminum Front Hubs
Losi Aluminum Knuckles
MaxAmps 430 LiPo
Some Deans Micro MoFo's

The Big Block was a pita to install but it sure does deliver the torque. I have some boxes covered with bath mats and towels in the living room. I changed it up recently so I would have some super steep climbs. Climbs that would have the Rock Crushers, even with the DDT 90, spinning and going no where quick. With the 130 Big Block Motor and the Mickey Thompson tires the Trekker goes barreling over the top with the front wheels 5 or 6 inches off the ground. It climbs stuff it never would before.

Yeah I know, (Test the NEW MOTOR before and after the tire swap). Kids on Christmas, you know how excited we get.

Ok, so the Rock Crushers just plain ol' suck. No doubt about that. I also have the Interco Swomper's Swamper's whatever they call them. I chose the Mickey's first because they have what I believe to be the most important trait a tire for these little crawlers can have. They have a very aggressive shoulder pattern. I don't know about the rest of you but for me being able to have the truck pull like hell when the wheel is turned is everything. The Mickey's are a bit larger than the competition too.

With the Big Block, New Wheels and Tires, and Aluminum bits here and there, the Trekker has become very heavy. Although I'm not convinced the Losi Hop-Up's add much weight, they are lighter than they look and make working on the truck so much easier.

Because of the added weight the Trekker can be nose heavy or heavy in the rear. For this reason I did the Transmission flip and this makes it nose heavy.

I ditched the battery box because I don't need it any longer. I cut the front of the radio tray off and the horizontal radio tray support to accommodate the Big Block Motor.

Maybe an apposing radio tray would make a nice big platform over the motor. I also plan to de-case the receiver and place it up front or in the rear.

At this point I'm trying to decide on a chassis for all this stuff. The Trekker chassis really limits what you can put above the servo and the rear suspension mount so it has got to go. Just not sure what that will be yet.

Last edited by olblueyez; 05-22-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
RCC Addict

What benefit do you get from flipping the trans around?
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

it makes the COG farther forward, making it easier to climb steeper climbs without flipping over backwards
i luv duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Talking about tire foams, I ran without them for several years but recently installed the stock Qlo foams. I have to say I like the results seems like much better side hilling with no fold over or leaning and the forward bite is better. If you haven't tried them it might be worth your while.

My rig is actually 20 grams lighter to boot.

Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Default The Chairmans Micro Trekker Stage One Complete

I did the flip before adding the 430 battery and the big block and there was no benefit. Trans and motor moved forward but the stock vertical battery and battery box had to move back so it was a wash.

With the larger battery laying flat and forward as much as possible and the trans and big block flipped there was a dramatic difference. The 130 Block Motor is bigger around and longer than the stock or standard DDT motors and so that added weight facing forward and moving the battery horizontal did the trick.

My Trekker was falling ass over tea kettle on steep inclines and now the front wheels stay down on thoes same inclines.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Nice looking trekker! Any advice on getting the HR rear axle lockout to work on a trail trekker? I have those rc4wd wheels so I'm interested in how you got them to mount. Thank you!

Last edited by TownsendTdi; 01-24-2015 at 08:13 AM.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:05 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: The Chairmans Micro Trekker STAGE TWO Complete!!!!!

The trekker and crawler use a different stub axle if I'm not mistaken. The HR Lockouts are made for the "Micro Crawler" stubs.

Double check me on that but I think that is were your problem is.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

The Chairmans Micro Trekker Stage One Complete - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trekker v. micro crawler Koldham Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 2 03-18-2012 07:20 AM
losi micro crawler into trekker? jdmcrawler Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 08-05-2011 10:13 PM
Trekker parts on Micro crawler mwscooters Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 07-18-2011 05:25 PM