Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Rims with an offset...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Rims with an offset...

If a guy were able to make some beadlock rims from ABS or Polycarbonate any offset could be applied to the hex hub connector. No need for axle wideners, you get the wider stance just by throwing the rims/tires onto the rig. Not sure if chrome finish could be done on a small scale, but they could certainly be painted.

What offset would be most popular? 1/4" more?

What would be a popular design of the face of the rim? Literally anything could be done, and to scale.

Several designs could be done with different looks and offsets.

Looking for constructive input. I won't be able to start production for several months yet. :(
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Rims with an offset...

Not certain what offset would be ideal, but I definitely want to keep an eye on this thread. I know I just put a set of RC4WD aluminum beadlocks on my Trekker and it definitely increased the stance by a bit. Not sure how much since I didn't measure, but it's a noticeable difference.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #3

How bout some old school slot mags!

or some troq thrust five spoke!

The Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Ah the classics, of course!

Some simple old school utilitarian examples like these Unimog tires and wheels could be interesting...

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

As far as wheel faces....soft 8's are always a winner. Could maybe try some Walker Evans beadlocks, even though they're available in 1.9. Spyderloks are a pretty decent choice as well. Raceline Monsters....there are really plenty of choices since we don't really have any for the micro class.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

fungi the C.A.D. work your budy did is awesome!!! im sure the two of you could come up with some really cool rims......

i do like the idea of an offset rim as long as its not crazy over priced $$$$..

there would have to be a couple of sizes (1/4,5/16,3/8 ?). cause everyone has different builds.

for what type rim, there are just some many of rims to choose from....
Madjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks for the good input! It's true anything is possible.

Madjones, Here is the latest of the cad work. It is essentially done. Now we start the fun process of seeing what is possible. I sort of jumped the gun on all of this due to extreme impatience... Just gotta get the darn shop finished. :/

Last edited by Fungi; 08-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
RCC Addict

There would need to be two offsets minimum. I would say for rigs with stock size tires make one that is 1/4" additional offset per rim from stock. Then a rim with the offset of the Danally rim mod for those who run Miclaws. I think it's closer to 1/2" I am traveling so I can't confirm.

I have a buddy that has been toying with me about doing rims. He has the tools to make them easy. He found some plastic round rod that was close to the same diameter as a stock rim. He plans on setting some up and making some blanks. The only thing is that he plans on only doing them plain...no design. I will ask him where he is at on it and see if he can send me some pics. His biggest problem right now is figuring how to do the hex cut out. I think he's going to try the first set with just a groove cut in it for the wheel pin. They wouldn't require any wheel hex...which I like as long as the rim is the width and offset I want.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Heck, wider than the Danally Mod! I run that AND wideners and still almost rub my bent upper links. This is totally off subject, but I wish someone would manufacture wider housings/inners to keep the scrub radius down. Things are getting way out past the knuckle kingpins and it is affecting performance.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Here's a teaser image of a Fuel Gauge Rim we are tearing into...

Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
RCC Addict

So are you guys going to market these? I was working on some too but will drop it if you guys are.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

It's a go, but we are still a ways away from having products. My style is to show all the progress. Some are too impatient and just find my posts annoying. lol Especially while I work on finishing the building that the 3D printer will go into. :P

I would never suggest anyone not work on their projects due to me. ;) However, the farther into this project I get, the more I think there's nothing preventing it from working.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
It's a go, but we are still a ways away from having products. My style is to show all the progress. Some are too impatient and just find my posts annoying. lol Especially while I work on finishing the building that the 3D printer will go into. :P

I would never suggest anyone not work on their projects due to me. ;) However, the farther into this project I get, the more I think there's nothing preventing it from working.

who ever gets annoyed with your posts are seriously brain dead. Im pumped to see your progress. this is the kinda stuff that will keep OUR micros alive!
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I went to a friends house and worked on a end lathe for a few hours and was able to turn 1 1/4" black delrin rod into a few nice rims. It is easy to make them multiple offsets. My biggest challenge it duplicating the cuts. After a while I worked it out to measurements and I think I can turn out a set of 4 rims in about an hour. If I had lots to do I could make more than that in stages.
I also had to come up with a way to do the hex...so I just took a press and heated an outer axle with pin and press fit the drive groove into the rim. This removed the need for a hex but limits what can be done with the rim as no additional wideners can be added.

Anyway, I don't want to go spend $500 on a end lathe and then another $200 on accessories just to find out there is another rim on the market that does the same thing.

I wish you good luck and hope that yours turn out well. If for some reason it falls through I might pick up where I left off. Good luck
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
RCC Addict

This looks promising....
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I hope this works out for you guys! I want some new micro wheels and those fuel gauge rims look awesome!
MGCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Here is an image of the tuber with rough draft rims. I see some changes I want to see implemented, but it is awesome to see these drawn up. This image has the .125" offset rims. Yes we can make the offset more, .250", .375", maybe even .500".

We are also looking at other rims made byFuel, Dick Cepek, BMF, Mickey Thompson, etc.

I need to get my buddy some other tires to draw up.

Enjoy...

Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #18
RCC Addict

So here's an issue. It really complicates the design to retain the ability to use the factory wheel weights, the ones that are in two pieces and fit around the center of the rim. I first wanted to maintain this ability, but the rims could be made to look much more accurate if we ditch this ability. Copper or lead wire could still be wrapped up for added weight. Thoughts?...
Old 09-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
So here's an issue. It really complicates the design to retain the ability to use the factory wheel weights, the ones that are in two pieces and fit around the center of the rim. I first wanted to maintain this ability, but the rims could be made to look much more accurate if we ditch this ability. Copper or lead wire could still be wrapped up for added weight. Thoughts?...

screw the factory wheel weights!
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I don't really care, because that last picture blew my mind, and I don't use those wheel weights.

Sent from my SGSII E4GT

Last edited by gbean; 09-25-2012 at 08:11 AM.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Rims with an offset... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial offset rims... h8z2luze Team Losi Comp Crawler 7 08-11-2009 09:22 PM
Most offset rims? James Luce Tires and Wheels 6 12-12-2005 05:42 PM