Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: The ROCK!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: The ROCK!

nice rock! get some expanding foam to fill out where ever, i think thats just what you need to get that thing really sweet
oahuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

that couldnt be a more perfect terrain base. and soooooo much lighter than the pile of rocks and bricks i keep re-arranging on the living room floor.
dieselmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #43
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmudder View Post
that couldnt be a more perfect terrain base. and soooooo much lighter than the pile of rocks and bricks i keep re-arranging on the living room floor.
your obviously single!!!!!!!!!!!!
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
your obviously single!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why? I'm far from single, and I do the same. Women don't seem to have a problem with guys and their toys, as long as we clean up our messes.

You didn't clean up your mess, did you??? Hahaha...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Here's some more images of the ROCK!

I finished the trim. There is a 1/8" groove for holding a clear acrylic panel about 4" high, to catch roll overs from hitting the floor.

I used cabinets under the 4' x 4' top for storage.

I need to glue some sand in areas to increase traction. I've never made it to the top since it's been painted. :P

Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #46
RCC Addict

Really? You've never made it to the top? I've made it several times with my Trekker and maybe once with my McRC, but I used the Rustoleum stone paint, which adds lots of grip. I'll have to snap a couple pics of it when I get a minute. The stuff I used for shrubbery, though, didn't stick very well with 3M spray adhesive. Need to rethink that a little bit. Not to mention it looks like bud.

Yours looks great, though! Thanks for the idea.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #47
RCC Addict

I used to climb it before I painted it. I suspect the polyurethane coating slipperied it all up. It needs something... Yeah I have some bud to put on it too. haha

You are very welcome!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

This is freaking awesome! I just snagged one at HD.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

I copied, first pic is color second is stone texture.

I want to get some ToughGrab or whatever its called & glue small rocks maybe styro foam rocks to all the areas that are impossible. Make some cool lines. Might have to screw it to some 1/8" & make it lil bigger. Anyways I'm just throwing it in my backyard micro course to add to it.
RcLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:21 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcLee View Post
I want to get some ToughGrab or whatever its called & glue small rocks maybe styro foam rocks to all the areas that are impossible. Make some cool lines.
I'm building up around those areas, specifically the backside, with small limestone chips in order to make more lines that can be run.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

I plan on leaving the back side & getting another then build a bridge out of florist wire & sticks. To copy this mess...which i will be destroying.

Its sweet but a mess & too big to get outside lol

Only spot i couldnt conquer is the really steep rainbow looking climb thats on the lower level. To the rear left.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #52

What a cool idea, plus it is mobile which makes it even better, might just have to invest into one of these lol
Piatochaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #53

I used 50/50 water/elmers and fine sand till soupy and then threw on a sprinkle of coarse sand to increase traction on part of my new "rock". Edit: also it's dirty cuz that stuff's everywhere.
Dan@hwff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Had some time to work on my rock. Very impressed with the results!

I wanted to glue sand to the rim edges, where the speckled paint wore off.

I got some pet store sand and filtered the fine powder out by slowly pouring it out in a good breeze, or with a fan.

I used polyurethane applied generously with a throw away brush, and used an old salt shaker to spread it out.

It worked so well I'm going to do it again in some other areas. I had basically two runs and now have six!

Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Anybody found these pond liners with different layouts or features? I would like to use 2 or 3 of these on the indoor course I'm building, but I don't want a bunch of the same ones. Has anybody considered using a vacuum former to build their own? Would the size of something like this prohibit a guy from BUILDING a vacuum former on his own to replicate them?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

I just used the rustoleum stone to start after a good scrub w simple green & scotch brite & then a acohol cleaning. Then some play sand pictured w primer that looks like out west. Did that a couple times. Then bombed a whole can of clear on it. Sealed the sand really good. Until i ran it over w my truck, oops didnt see it. But that answers one of your ?'s about how to make it dif shape cuz actually turned out pretty sweet w some new lines.

I forgot to buy this toy rail road bridge & some trees today at a flea market today so i could put both rocks together. Only $5 i'm bummin
Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #57
RCC Addict

I REALLY REALLY like that red rock look! Thanks for the input too. I've got a few bridges that I've built already put together, and a BUNCH of little plastic signs and stuff stock-piled for the course. I was hoping that I could find at least two different mountains to put the bridge between. I've got a 3'X6' table to build on and plan to do as Fungi has, and pack in some real rock around them. I started out building grout covered rocks, but they fell apart over time. I brought home a load of flag stone, it was too heavy in the quantity I needed for the layout I wanted. I checked on using Portland cement and fine sand over burlap, but it's expensive. In total, I've spent more time and money on failures than I should have for the time I've got to use my course. I'm really hoping something like this is the end-all. I'm on the edge of just giving up till Winter comes around again.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Lowes has this, it's larger but much more expensive though...

Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
Lowes has this, it's larger but much more expensive though...

Nice! I may go tomorrow and see what I can find any more at a few local landscape supply stores. There are even a few stores here that sell second-hand building materials that I can check at.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Try lava rock, super light, enough traction to cut stuff. Plus you can get that cool red color.

The ROCK! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Compound Mini Rock Claws & Rock Bashers are shipping Rich Trujillo Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 29 11-22-2008 04:15 PM
Verdict on best Comp tires? Rock stompers, Losi, Rock Crusher toy4crawlin Tires and Wheels 58 02-21-2008 11:26 AM