Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: The ROCK!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The ROCK!

Here is part of my indoor course I'm working on. It's made from the Home Depot pond mentioned here. Named The ROCK!

I ended up using white primer and then three levels from tan to brown, in a multi-color format. I think it turned out pretty good. I still have to do a couple "washes" with dark brown to bring out the cracks. Then many layers of flat clear.

Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: The ROCK!

Did you modify the pond or is that the shape it always was?
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The pond is exactly the same, no changes. Here is an image before the paint. The first attempt to paint didn't work out to well. This time I cleaned it with alcohol before painting and used a primer for plastic.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

are the sides not too steep for the micros??
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Some areas are definitely too steep for climbing. For those areas I will be adding to the ground level to bring it up a bit. I want to keep some impossible lines so I'm always striving for improvements in the vehicles set up. I.e. not too easy... A bridge may end up on there somewhere as well.

Thanks for the comments!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Never thought of this, but it's a great idea! Sides may be a little steep, but I'm sure there's a way to make it up. Looks great so far, man! May consider adding this to my backyard course when I finally start building it. I have some lava and pond rock for it, along with a section of those little logs that go around flower beds, etc. Just haven't started the dirt work yet.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
RCC Addict

is it still slippery with the paint or does it have grip with the paint? I was thinking throwing sand on the paint before it dried might help.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

need some videos!!!!!!!!
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
is it still slippery with the paint or does it have grip with the paint? I was thinking throwing sand on the paint before it dried might help.
Looks like the paint he's using is textured, so it's probably not too bad. Sand would definitley add to the sandstone loook & feel, though.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I saw that it was textured but I just thought it might be a little slippery still. Those paints may have texture but I wonder how much grip that provide?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I am using the same paint in my course build. The paint feels like it has sand in it when it dries. I think it provides a fair amount of grip, but probably not as much as if it had sand sprinkled onto it while wet. It looks way better than just sand over tan paint though, as it is highly variable in color and texture.

BTW Fungi, Your shading looks killer! it really looks like the side of a hill/mountain in the mid-west.

Last edited by hrddrvr; 09-10-2012 at 11:42 AM.
hrddrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Thanks for the comments! My first attempt to paint this thing didn't go so well. I forgot to wash it before painting it. I'm sure there were some release agents left behind, cause the paint started to flake off later. I did use gray primer, and even added a thin layer of silica sand to the wet paint. It helped a great deal, but overall it was a failure. This textured paint is rough like adding sand. I washed it down with 91% alcohol this time, and I'm also hoping the primer for plastic will hold on better.

This is just one small feature of the planned large course. The other areas will likely be made from the plastic based concrete like Chey55 uses.

You can see a piece of cardboard with a torn edge. I used that and the spray cans as a crude airbrush effect. I'm pleased with how it turned out. It will really come together when I add the trees and stuff.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I really like it. I can see this being the center of a bigger set-up. If needed dirt and rocks could be pushed up the sides for good obstacles. I saw a few other pond shapes at Lowes and one really cool one at a pool/spa company. They get a bit expensive tho.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I didn't notice the cardboard before. That added nice touch.

Just as an aside to my last response, if you are looking for more texture, the stone type textured paint has even more texture, grip, and color contrast. I used a couple colors of each to get the final look on mine.

hrddrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
I really like it. I can see this being the center of a bigger set-up. If needed dirt and rocks could be pushed up the sides for good obstacles. I saw a few other pond shapes at Lowes and one really cool one at a pool/spa company. They get a bit expensive tho.
I'm into the pond for around $20.00 to $25.00 I think. It was on sale.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #16

Very. Nice. I can't wait to see a crawler in action. If it works well I'll probably do the same thing.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

do they still sell this?
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slambaam View Post
do they still sell this?
My receipt was only a year ago. I do know that not all Home Depots carries them, and they are seasonal. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I've tried to find this at the store and also online with no luck . Do you happen to have the stock number for it .
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Every home depot has them here in Az. Prices are a lot more though...I saw one that size and it was $50. I am keeping watch for sales or close outs too. Walmart had one too but it was very plain. It was almost smooth.

The ROCK! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Compound Mini Rock Claws & Rock Bashers are shipping Rich Trujillo Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 29 11-22-2008 04:15 PM
Verdict on best Comp tires? Rock stompers, Losi, Rock Crusher toy4crawlin Tires and Wheels 58 02-21-2008 11:26 AM