Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Crawler vs. Trekker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Crawler vs. Trekker

you can also put trekker axles on the micro crawler for wider stance no wheel wideners needed
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakachille View Post
you can also put trekker axles on the micro crawler for wider stance no wheel wideners needed
I've done this, big improvement with easy reliable parts.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

the link geometry is the same. ive tried it and experimented. im not trying to sound like an ass, but youre giving false information. it doesnt mean i have anything against you or your opinions, its just that i want to help other people. and i admit, i did sound a bit like an ass, and thats because i was angry at that moment, and im over that now. yes, the trekker chassis on a crawler the wheelbase will be too short and look dumb, and if your puting trekker links on a crawler you will have to lengthen the drive shafts, but the geometry is the same as i mentioned and it will still flex. im sorry for all the drama, but lifes been tough lately and i get mad easily.
i luv duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Cool.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
I thought the crawler was discontinued?
It has, there's just some still floating around. Currently more in my price range, just can't justify the $500+ for an Axial yet.
b4d93r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #26

So now that the dust has settled and smoke cleared. Thanks for the info guys. Actually whether right or wrong, you both provided good information and gave me some things to think about and some new questions.

So we've established that the chassis are different in size but some parts are interchangeable or there's aftermarket parts. Thats good to know. It was also mentioned that there is an aftermarket frame possibly available for the Trekker which is also cool and I think I've stumbled upon it doing internet searches. Linkage and drive shafts are the only area where some modifications would need to be done. I like the idea about extending the drive shafts with a pen. Not sure how that actually works but interested in finding out.

In regards to the chassis, I've seen the aluminum V shaped center piece in a few pics so thats what got me to wondering about that. I've decided to do minor mods to the Trekker and keep it pretty much like it is. Think of it as the real truck I've always wanted but can't afford. I've got a couple of project ideas going on which is building a Micro Crawler and the 1/18 version.

I'm finding a lot of parts online for it along with the aluminum body and I'm getting all sorts of ideas. Anyway thats projects down the road. I'm dropping a lot of my other hobbies and focusing on only a couple. Just don't have time for them all or the money and I love rock crawling as it is and this is just a perfect fit I think.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Glad you've got a starting point.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up Re: Crawler vs. Trekker

I am sure people already answered, but since I owned a crawler and my dad the trekker, and through countless mods i found a few differences.

when it comes down to it the only parts that are the same are:
-axles
-shocks
-tranny
-servo, and ESC/reciever
-motor

diffrence is:
-the parallel metal plates are completly diffrent
-The crawler is SHORTER, so the drive shafts are noticeably shorter.
-The stock crawler battery is a 180mah, the trekker has a 220 battery.
-and the crawler has softer more rounded crawling tires, trekker is a little harder and square. probably more due to shape than the compound. but the trekkers looks and feels more real, where the crawlers is better on the rocks

my crawler didnt come with extra gears, where my dad's had a couple extra sets.

overall the trekker is basically a larger better crawler. If I bought another one I would get a trekker every time, and maybe buy the crawler's tires separate.

Wheelbase side the trekker is closer to 1:20 where the trekker is 1:24 (when looking at hobby grade static models for body's this was true)

If you plan on modifying it with anything like the blade SMC chassis get the trekker, its easier to take away plastic on the drive shafts and such than it is to stretch them. and honestly the parallel plates of the trekker are more durable than the ones on the crawler.

Oh, and on another note, the Crawler HAS been discontinued as far as I knew, the trekker replaced it, but people still carry the crawler and they carry the parts is many stores still!

here's my build thread, i have quite a few pictures with a ford truck on the SMC chassis. it was a micro crawler at first but I got most of the trekker parts for the larger chassis at one point. and the final version (purple jeep) is a whole new monster of modification to get it to work.
[Build thread]: From a Chevy, to a Ford and finaly Jeep!! (warning! lots of images!)

Last edited by Intashu; 09-19-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: bad spellun.
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Just curious because I see it around, but does "axials" mean axles?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

axial is a company for that I know, axles is the correct spelling for the thing that goes between the tires. I almost ALWAYS spell the company when I mean the axle. xD sorry!
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
RCC Addict

I thought you meant that, lol. I was aware of the maker of the wraith but it didn't fit in context. LoL

Last edited by gbean; 09-19-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #32

Yea, I was referring to the Axial Wraith. Sweet machine and tons of really cool parts and accessories for it. Just not ready to drop that much cash yet.

Here is a link to it. Axial Racing - WRAITH

I'm pretty excited for the Trekker and other two projects. Not sure where to start though, wheels and tires, shocks, ect. i do want to find a Jeep Cherokee or Chevy Blaizer (early 2000's) and add it to the Trekker.

Tags
crawler, hop up, mods, trekker

Crawler vs. Trekker - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trekker v. micro crawler Koldham Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 2 03-18-2012 07:20 AM
Question for Trekker (or Trekker suspension link) owners Markhpnc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 9 08-12-2011 05:43 PM
losi micro crawler into trekker? jdmcrawler Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 08-05-2011 10:13 PM
Trekker parts on Micro crawler mwscooters Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 07-18-2011 05:25 PM