Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Micro crawler comp style upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #1

Default Micro crawler comp style upgrades

I recently bought a micro trail trekker and shortly after that i bought a electrifly 2s lipo took the foams out took the springs out and even tried bbs in the rims. Me and my family build a course in our garage and we are going to do comp events with them. So i wanted a new chassis new links and new shocks. I want a good set up tires and beadlocks im not using the qlo tires because they are too big ok. So could you give me links to where to buy and any other parts i should get for it to be a comp style rig.

Thanks so much

Snickerson
Snickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Micro crawler comp style upgrades

The New What and Where to Buy Thread (Linked, Priced, and AVAILABLE)

there is a unsticky'd thread about this that is updated with prices and links. It's a good reference if your looking into what to get!
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

oh thanks i was looking at the old stickied one and didnt see his one
Snickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you want to kick ass all over the place, you'll need the MiClaws. They are big and sticky and work on all sorts of terrain. Yes you need wideners to make them work, but that gives you the opportunity to use LavaCap's wideners and add some weight. If you want cheap wheels, Hot Racing is the way to go, but if you want something that looks scale, go for the RC4WD wheels. Making suspension links is easy, just buy two sets of Mini-T rod ends and some threaded rod (or buy the toe link set from the Mini-T as well and save yourself some measuring and cutting). The balls are the same as the crawlers, so they pop right on. As for chassis, you can go a number of ways, but one of the comp chassis like the ones from Cralwer X are popular.

There are two other mods you should consider. The first is a Hot Racing transmission case. The plastic case will deform and cause the bearings to seize and fail. Some people have had their transmission case melt completely. The HR case is pretty much mandatory for any McRC or TT to be good. You should also look at getting a Predator motor from Danally. They are great investments in your rig. Also, a bigger spur gear would be a good idea.
8695Beaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

true I have a set of the toe links (mini-T) to make my 4 link setup.

I understand not wanting to use minilo's they are huge!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8695Beaters View Post
If you want to kick ass all over the place, you'll need the MiClaws. They are big and sticky and work on all sorts of terrain. Yes you need wideners to make them work, but that gives you the opportunity to use LavaCap's wideners and add some weight. If you want cheap wheels, Hot Racing is the way to go, but if you want something that looks scale, go for the RC4WD wheels. Making suspension links is easy, just buy two sets of Mini-T rod ends and some threaded rod (or buy the toe link set from the Mini-T as well and save yourself some measuring and cutting). The balls are the same as the crawlers, so they pop right on. As for chassis, you can go a number of ways, but one of the comp chassis like the ones from Cralwer X are popular.

There are two other mods you should consider. The first is a Hot Racing transmission case. The plastic case will deform and cause the bearings to seize and fail. Some people have had their transmission case melt completely. The HR case is pretty much mandatory for any McRC or TT to be good. You should also look at getting a Predator motor from Danally. They are great investments in your rig. Also, a bigger spur gear would be a good idea.
I agree with most of this, but not 100% on the wheels & wideners aren't 100% necessary though they support vendors that support micros and this site.
The Hot Racing wheels are fine but its a pain to get the Miniqlo Miclaw tires on there and the Miclaws will need some modding to fit the HR wheel. the wheels are better suited for scale looks or stock sized tires like the RC4WD. The Miclaws are still the way to go for comping but if you want to save $$ on wheels & tires just look up the Danally wheel mod to gain some wheel offset. then you can wrap some solder around the wheels for weight.

as far as the hot racing trans case its a great mod and makes it MUCH smoother. binding is a big problem on many of the plastic trans, though I haven't heard of any seizing a bearing and melting. Not sure how that would be possible when crawling at slow speed. Maybe if someone was racing it? still a good mod. dont forget to check out the micro mod bible for cheap or free tips & tricks.

Almost forgot...shocks. the Hot racing shocks look nice and have more durable shafts but they dont perform any better than the stock ones. Some have had luck with stretched soft or medium micro T springs
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

This is one of my old transmission bearings from my comper:

The bearing got so bad the dust shield popped out. This was before MiClaws, weight, Predator motor, or a brass pinion. The only drivetrain mod I had made was a Li-Po battery. The stock cases DO bind and they DO cause bearing failure. If you want to see how bad this bearing is, here is a video of the transmission spinning with this bad bearing in it:
http://s37.beta.photobucket.com/user..._0636.mp4.html
And here is the same transmission with brand new bearings:
http://s37.beta.photobucket.com/user..._0637.mp4.html

Trust me, get the HR case soon.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:

The bearing got so bad the dust shield popped out. This was before MiClaws, weight, Predator motor, or a brass pinion. The only drivetrain mod I had made was a Li-Po battery. The stock cases DO bind and they DO cause bearing failure. If you want to see how bad this bearing is, here is a video of the transmission spinning with this bad bearing in it:
Losi Micro Crawler :: MVI_0636.mp4 video by Hondahead88 - Photobucket
Losi Micro Crawler :: MVI_0637.mp4 video by Hondahead88 - Photobucket

could be a fluke or they needed oil. depends on how you run it and where to I suppose.

can't go wrong with aluminum upgrades however.

Last edited by Intashu; 11-06-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Losi Micro Crawler :: MVI_0636.mp4 video by Hondahead88 - Photobucket
Losi Micro Crawler :: MVI_0637.mp4 video by Hondahead88 - Photobucket

Oh I know the cases bind. most of mine do. thats why I got a HR case ( should get more ) I just am surprised to hear enough heat could build up to melt anything while crawling. were you just driving it like a car or doing slow crawling? either way crazy
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

A bit of both. I drive my rigs hard.

Micro crawler comp style upgrades - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp style Micro Hildy Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 08-30-2012 05:29 PM
My Micro crawler build - Crawlerx chassis - comp style Tuna Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 54 01-29-2012 11:07 AM
super micro comp ... syndicate style hammer_213 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 0 03-31-2011 11:23 AM
Styrene Chassied Comp Style Micro nascarkeith Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 09-14-2010 11:07 AM