Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Brian's Christmas Trekker Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Brian's Christmas Trekker Build

Well guys, I actually don't get to start my build till Christmas day, but I figured I'd start a thread of the parts I've received so far, and the ones that are coming. I was just hoping to put all my minuscule contributions in one place as opposed to spread all over. I have a few plans for this little rig, and I would like to put them here, though so of this stuff has already been done.

More than anything, this will be like my Micro Crawling journal. For now I'll start with a list of the first mods I'm doing and with what parts.

The list of parts so far-

RTR Trail Trekker in black
DP Torsion Chassis in black
RC4WD Micro Rok-Lox (may end up ordering Miclaws before Christmas also)
BWD #1 Wheel Weight Set (Lots of different combinations with this set!)
BWD Extended Wheel Hardware Set
Losi Mini T ball cups (LOSB1049)
Losi Micro T Slipper Set (LOSB1512)
Hot Racing Blue Billet Micro T Slipper Set (MTC1506)
Hot Racing Billet 59T Micro Rally/SCT Spur
M2 Threaded Rod (For links and BTA steering after chassis install)
3x Zippy Flightmax 350mAh 2s LiPo packs

Plan to order-

DANALLY Big Block Swap? http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-...available.html
Hot Racing inner and outer aluminum knuckles (with shock mounts removed)
Hot Racing 1 piece rear lockouts (I'll have to run wideners in the back)
Hot Racing Trans Case

The overall plan of attack-
When I first found the micro crawlers I had the idea to build a comp rig similar to my 1/18th MRC. Thing is, I already have a shelf full of comp crawlers and crap for them. I've never built anything close to a scaler, as I never thought I had the cash (not realizing I was spending the same amount on comp builds).

I figure I'll go with something more scale on this build. Maybe not a full on leaf-sprung, full interior sportin', Hi-Lift havin' scaler like most of you. I'm thinking more along the lines of a comp rig with a few scale details thrown in. A little TTC'ish if you will.

I've seen some of you guys' builds with dove-tailed beds, narrowed noses, and more cage work than I can handle. I'm thinkin' a detailed hard-body with the narrowed nose, dove-tailed, bobbed-bed, and cut fenders. Without all the interior work, scale bed-full of stuff, and little mirrors to break off and lose I could lower the COG considerably, and have a durable little rig that I could let my 4 year old operate without killing.

I have the equipment to do a little brazing, and was thinking of building some bumpers and sliders for the rig, but it's dependent on weight. I'm thinking some small gauge music wire ought to be strong enough.

Anyway, I anticipate this thread will fall back before Christams. When the build actually starts I will pull it back up and start adding pictures and the actual build. Till then, watch for pics of my indoor Micro Crawler course coming together over the next month or so...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brian's Christmas Trekker Build

Sounds like you've got a pretty good list goin' so far. Definitely consider the Danally Big Block upgrade. Best mod I've done to mine thus far. Really turns it into a different rig with much more controllable power.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Sounds like you've got a pretty good list goin' so far. Definitely consider the Danally Big Block upgrade. Best mod I've done to mine thus far. Really turns it into a different rig with much more controllable power.
What he said... You may want to consider the widener weights, since you have a trekker, and not a McRC. BWD's are the shiznit, but the nuts are worthless, and we're not sure when the new brass nuts will make it to market. Hopefully it'll be soon!
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post
What he said... You may want to consider the widener weights, since you have a trekker, and not a McRC. BWD's are the shiznit, but the nuts are worthless, and we're not sure when the new brass nuts will make it to market. Hopefully it'll be soon!
I was thinking of ordering some wideners, but I think I'm gonna wait to find something that is compatible with both rigs as I will soon have the one piece lockouts for the rear. The length of the axle is different, and I guess it makes them fit different wideners than the Trail Trekker stub shafts.

Between the BWD weights and the solder around the rim trick I think I'll have enough weight. For the meantime I may just do the wide rim trick to make it a little wider. When and if I get the Miclaws, I'll have to add wideners on top of that. I think I'll wait for the time to come.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Well, she let me sneak into the truck and get started on the building a little early. Got the wheels weighted (need more), chassis installed, trans flipped, body trimmed and lowered, and now it's headed back to the box (more coming, chill out).

For this round I got some pics of the new mods and the truck on a few of the rocks I've been building for my course.

My daughter and I "painting" the grout on...

Here are a few of the stock truck...

And here's the version I got to before putting it away for Christmas...

And after hours of messing with this thing, this is my favorite pic...
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
RCC Addict

The first three pictures are the best! My kiddo's love 'helping' me work on my crawlers. They're getting trekkers for Christmas too. (3 & 5 yrs old) My 8 month old crawls like a mad man chasing the crawlers around the floor. Its hilarious!

I won't make any reference to the copy of "Momma Mia".

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 11-15-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm actually getting the Trekker for Christmas. My daughter Just got a Exceed Maxstone 16 for her birthday. I stripped all the green anodizing, polished all the aluminum parts, and painted the bead rings, trans cover, and drivelines neon pink. It's got a Champagne pink bug body on top it, and it's converted to LiPo. She doesn't get any more cars for a while! I actually GAVE my fully built 1.9 Comp Rig to my girlfriend about 2 months ago, and all I have left are micros. After I get the course done, I get the Trekker for Christmas, and the holiday running is over, I will buy 2 more micros. Crawling has really been working out to be a good family activity. I'm hoping this Winter we can actually host a few Micro comps on our own course. That is, of course, dependent on me finding people around that are interested in the micros.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
I'm actually getting the Trekker for Christmas. My daughter Just got a Exceed Maxstone 16 for her birthday. I stripped all the green anodizing, polished all the aluminum parts, and painted the bead rings, trans cover, and drivelines neon pink. It's got a Champagne pink bug body on top it, and it's converted to LiPo. She doesn't get any more cars for a while! I actually GAVE my fully built 1.9 Comp Rig to my girlfriend about 2 months ago, and all I have left are micros. After I get the course done, I get the Trekker for Christmas, and the holiday running is over, I will buy 2 more micros. Crawling has really been working out to be a good family activity. I'm hoping this Winter we can actually host a few Micro comps on our own course. That is, of course, dependent on me finding people around that are interested in the micros.
That's really cool. If this hobby takes away from anyone's family, they should give it up. Nothing is more important than our families.

Are you in Bend Oregon? I have family in and around Winston/Roseburg.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post
That's really cool. If this hobby takes away from anyone's family, they should give it up. Nothing is more important than our families.

Are you in Bend Oregon? I have family in and around Winston/Roseburg.
Yeah, I'm in Bend. I'm actually from Coos Bay, which is over on the coast, even closer to Winston/Roseburg than Bend.

This hobby definitely isn't taking anything from our family. We go camping, we take the crawlers. We go out for a day hike/walk, we take the crawlers. We go wheelin, we take the crawlers. Not to say everything we do has something to do with the crawlers, but if there's time for them...
Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
RCC Addict

BTW, BTA steering is coming together. Secret, 1.9 MRC shock ends have 2mm threads and a 2mm thru-hole. They are the next best thing to the Mini T ball cups, and you can use a regular M2 screw through them without the brass balls.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Added BBs to the wheels and yanked the foam today. Between the BWD weights, BBs, and the wheel itself I have a total front wheel weight of 39.6 grams. The rears weigh in at 28.1 grams with 12 BBs in each. I guess these aren't "total" weights, more the weight I have added and the factory wheel's weight. So, factory wheels=11 grams. 2 solid BWD wheel weights with 1 large hole weight for the inside bead=15 grams. 40 BBs=13.6 grams. For the rears I have 2 small hole disks on each outer bead and a large hole on the inside bead=14 grams. Once again, factory wheel=11 grams. And lastly, 12 BBs=4.1 grams. I didn't get a weight of the tires, but I know all 4 weigh the same amount. This tells me that I have a 23 gram forward weight bias between my front and rear wheels. The batteries I'm getting weigh in at around 19 grams, which leaves me with 4 grams of forward weight bias if mounted on the rear axle. Remember, this is only the bias of my tires. Now, I have a flipped trans, I will have the ESC decased, the servo is mounted up front, and I think I'm headed the right direction for a VERY light chassis, with a lot of wheel weight. This thing ought to be planted!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Well, I just spent almost an hour on the phone with DANALLY. What a stand-up guy! That guy really knows his stuff, and was awesome help.

Anywho, expect a Predator motor in this rig soon enough. He's sending me an 80T Predator, a 90T Predator, and a complete 80T Big-Block Stroker kit soon enough.

That's right, I'll also have one of his Big-Block Stoker kits to play with! He knows my plans for it, and I may as well tell you all now. Expect a full brass tuber on Miclaws with 4WS in the near future. I'm hopefully going to pick up the brass tube, some random plate stock, and some other stuff in the next week or so. I'm not going to document every bit of this build, but I will answer questions as they pop up, and I will post the details I believe will help the most.

So, here's the sad part- I've never even driven a micro crawler or my own trail trekker yet. This all stems from the RTR Trail Trekker, which is now assembled to my satisfaction, and has to go back into the box till Christmas. I've been through piles of RC cars over the years, but I've never been sucked in like this! The Trail Trekker started it all, and other than a motor and servo upgrade, is done. I'll probably have my second build half-done before I even get to drive this one...
Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Here's a piece of 5/32" brass tube I had laying around that I figured I'd use as an example. Yes, I polished it afterward. No, my chassis will not be polished. Contemplating whether I want to use 3/32" Rod or tube for the chassis. I think the rod will have the strength I need, and it's already gonna be a heavy rig.

Anyway, enough babble.

The tip I have for my torch is WAY too big and hot, even for the 5/32". That's why the solder pooled at the bottom of the joint (top in the pic). New torch soon!

Last edited by 89redranger; 11-21-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
RCC Addict

It was great talking to u last evening. I hope that the rig is what you were "dreaming of" on Christmas morning. Since you have never driven a stock one before, the next one you get (and yes there will be a next one...there always is) leave it stock and drive it against your Trekker. It's fun to see the differences.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
It was great talking to u last evening. I hope that the rig is what you were "dreaming of" on Christmas morning. Since you have never driven a stock one before, the next one you get (and yes there will be a next one...there always is) leave it stock and drive it against your Trekker. It's fun to see the differences.
I'm positive that your motors will head me in the right direction. It's actually funny to me that I won't get to know what a stock rig is like till I buy another one.

The appeal for me with these rigs, is that they are so small and affordable. I can build the rigs I wanted to in larger scales without the fear of junking expensive parts. I have always had a fascination with modding and fabbing my own crawler parts, and have built many. This, sadly, is my next step. A step with more of a creative outlet than a "buy and bolt on" attitude.

Not to say bigger rigs can't be modded. I just know I wouldn't try to mod a set of axles that cost $100 if you screw up. With the micro I wouldn't be afraid to saw a housing in half, extend it, and run it as a widened axle (just an example).

Just for those that are curious, here are two of the other rigs I have/had going. The FOFF rig is the least complete, but will end up with LOTS of hand fabbed goods.

Brian's "bucket uh bolts" Mini FOFF build.

89redranger's MRC Pro Spring Rebuild
Old 12-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Big news for the Trekker today! The motors from DANALLY showed up today! A 90T Predator, an 80T Predator, and an 80T Big Block Stroker Kit.

The quality of Dan's products blow me away so far (haven't got the chance to install or run them). The windings look perfect, the motor plate turned out bitchin', the stickers are pretty sweet, and the soldering Dan did looks like stock!

A BIG thanks goes to Dan for the quality, the awesome attitude, and help with things I thought were too silly to bug this busy man about!

That said, I'm a little chapped with the mail guys. For whatever reason, everything I've gotten lately in the mail has been broken. Holiday Season seems to have put a rush on some people's work ethics...

The two Predators side by side...

The 180 Series "Big Block Stroker Kit" sitting on the included instruction sheet. This thing just LOOKS mean!

Another view of the big guy. Dan, very nice job on the included instructions! This is a better set of instructions than the exploded diagram that the truck came with. Detailed, thorough, and most importantly, CORRECT!

Unfortunately, the back of the 90T came out of the package like this. It had gotten smashed in the package as a result of improper handling during shipping. The motor was smashed so hard it blew the bushing right through the plastic end-bell. Now, this is NOT Dan's fault, and I felt very bad calling him back about how to fix something that he DIDN'T do. As proof of Dan's outstanding attitude, he calmly said, "unbelievable, send it back and I'll swap out the end-bell." This is not what I would expect from a company, much less a guy building these on the go between work! Dan, it's a real shame that you can't do this full-time, with service like yours you'd kill it!

Expect my review of the two Predators very soon, and as soon as I get the secretive build I'm doing done, I will get a review and some videos for that mean 'ol Stroker!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Cant wait to see your thoughts on the stroker. I wish had run the rig with the stock motor so you could see the REAL differences in the Predator motors over the stock ones.

I had taken it for granted...the other day a new local crawler came over to pick up a 90t motor. He brought his Trekker and we played on the rocks out back prior to installing the new motor. I drove my comp rig, my daughter drove my S10, and my 6yr old son drove a DP chassis rig with a 90t, and this guy drove his stock trekker. His battery was dead in 4 minutes and the motor was HOT! While my kids continued to play we ran into my "Micro Room" and dropped in the 90t Predator and a 7.4 lipo. He went back out and was blown away. A few minutes later he had talked me into selling him a spare set of boggers that were mounted and weighted. Once those were on it was all over. He even tried to buy my charger and Lipo's. I had to stop him and point him to Viper Hobby around the corner. It was way cool watching the quick progression of the performance and how much more fun it is when it works right.

Micro's are totally addicting. I promice that you will have 2 or 3 more in no time. It's just so cool to have them set up all different and have others join in on the fun.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Oh Man, I'm positive I'll be getting a few more. Like I said, I haven't even driven this thing yet, and I already have another build in progress and plans for a third and forth. My Daughter's Mother is going to let me claim my daughter for taxes this year. With my Mother already being a dependent of mine (she's disabled), I'm looking at a return of a few $k. This year all my bills and stuff are caught up, so it really is spare cash. I'm planning on using a pretty good chunk of that going into savings, some car repairs, the Micro course in my garage, projects, and a new fleet of Micros to replace our 1.9 rigs. With our 1.9s, one rig is always broken and waiting for pay day for parts, leaving two of us taking turns with one truck. The low cost of the trucks, parts, and hop-ups makes it affordable enough to keep the family going all the time. Trust me Dan, I'll be hitting you up for a few more motors soon enough. If it were up to my daughter, her crawler would have a cord and be hooked to the wall all the time so she could drive it non-stop! I'm betting she wears the brushes down to nubs in weeks with a micro...
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
RCC Addict

BTW, I would like to see how it performs over a stock truck, and will soon enough. Instead, I get to get used to the feel of the Predators, THEN feel the gigantic let-down that is the stock motor later. I've seen enough videos of your product to KNOW that I will not be let down.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
RCC Addict

His motors are sick... My 180 is a beast.

Brian's Christmas Trekker Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starting a slow Trekker Build Big_Mac Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 06-28-2012 02:45 PM
Brian's F150 Build (Pic HEAVY) mahgninnuc1 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-10-2012 01:04 AM
Trekker, My Build So Far... Crawl Wonder Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 98 07-31-2011 05:17 PM
Brian's Build up, PICS Brian, aka XJFanatic.com General Crawlers 7 12-20-2005 09:27 PM