RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Losi Micro-Rock Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/)
-   -   Please help me turn Trekker into comp style crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/420486-please-help-me-turn-trekker-into-comp-style-crawler.html)

shhuskins 01-02-2013 04:16 AM

Please help me turn Trekker into comp style crawler

Let me start by saying yes I have done my research first, I think I just about wore out the search button. I am not new into RC started in planes ten years ago have had a ton of Norris revos jatos savages mini ts micro ts I love RC. Started transitioning more into the slow crawling side of the hobby. Purchased a losi mini Crawler already built dark souls chino chassis new shocks and the regular mods ton of integy parts I absolutely love it can go 95% of the places my buddies lcc can go. I have been drooling over a mcrc for some time bit only just a few days ago realized they were discontinued and I can't find a single one new or used ANYWHERE. I never liked or paid attention to the trekkers as I am not into scalers (yet). However since that's my only option it seems like that's what ill be buying. Best I can see the main differences are chassis longer links and drive shafts stub axles and body. My plan is to buy a trekker male custom links run a DDT motor real headlocks probably HR unless somebody shows better options miniQLO tires. HR shocks and shove all this into a Blade TMC V2. anythiing I'm missing? Any problems using the trekker parts for this chassis? Is there a better performing chassis I'm looking for major flex like 180 degrees if possible. Any opinions greatly appreciated. Why would losi discontinue what seemed to be a strong seller? Sorry for lengthy post

spoo76 01-02-2013 08:39 AM

Re: Please help me turn Trekker into comp style crawler

Trekker is a great base for comp style crawlers. Its got a nice width & wheelbase. In fact some comp rigs use trekker links. the Hot Racing wheels are nice, but you are going to have do some cutting to the tire to get it to fit.
Someone on here has a post with pictures but most just use other wheels.
there are 2 threads on how to turn the wheels into the beadlocks, or you can try the RC4WD beadlock wheels.

this trekker is stock other than the Micro Eclipse chassis,tires, & the Danally 180 stroker motor
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...114_020542.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...114_020427.jpg

Sh0rtBus 01-02-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoo76 (Post 4102520)
Trekker is a great base for comp style crawlers. Its got a nice width & wheelbase. In fact some comp rigs use trekker links. the Hot Racing wheels are nice, but you are going to have do some cutting to the tire to get it to fit.
Someone on here has a post with pictures but most just use other wheels.
there are 2 threads on how to turn the wheels into the beadlocks, or you can try the RC4WD beadlock wheels.

this trekker is stock other than the Micro Eclipse chassis,tires, & the Danally 180 stroker motor

I found this statement sort of funny. Other than the upgraded chassis, upgraded wheels & tires, seriously upgraded motor, that's a stock Trekker.

So basically, stock servo and stock suspension?

Just reads kind of funny. :lmao:

OP....looks like oyu have a pretty good list of parts to turn the Trekker into a comp crawler. If you're definitely looking for scale, why not go with a bodiless chassis from BWD? As for beadlocks, my vote goes to the RC4WD beadlocks, as they add a pretty good amount of weight and are top notch.

Really the only difference, as you said, between the Trekker and Crawler are the chassis, links, and drive shafts. As I just recently purchased a McRC from a fellow forum member, I happen to have a spare McRC chassis on hand I'd be willing to send you. Just the stock aluminum chassis. Links are a breeze to make with allthread and tubing. Make sure you pick up a couple sets of Losi mini-t ballcups, though. As for the driveshafts, wouldn't be hard to cut them down to the size you want. But honeslty, I'd probably leave the links and driveshafts the stock length, as that will give you a little more stability. Seems the Trekker came to be because people were buying McRC's, adding longer links, and lengthening the drive shafts.

Might want to consider upgrading to a better servo, too. Most popular tends to be the Hitec MS65MG, which retails for about $28-$30. Definitely get rid of the servo saver on the stocker, though. Also, look into a set of wheel wideners to increase track width. BWD makes good ones.

Like I said, though, if you want a stock McRC chassis, I'd be happy to send it to you, free of charge. Doubt I'll be using it, as my McRC will be more of a scaler....at least at this point.

spoo76 01-02-2013 09:41 AM

Stock in relation to the links and drive shafts. Axles,shocks,servo & electronics are stock.Most people lengthen McRC links and shafts to about the length the trekker is,many even use the tre kked/Mc4x4 parts on a comp McRc. Maybe with the McRC discontinued there will be some longer chassis to fit the trekker. The Micro Eclipse chassis I used is no longer made last I knew. As far as servos a more popular replacement because of price is the MG90 servos.you can find them on valuehobby.com as well as liposuction for around the same price.

Sh0rtBus 01-02-2013 09:57 AM

I was just about to start a thred about servos. I'm about to replace the stocker that came with my McRC and wanted to get opinions between the HS65MG and MG90S.

Pros/Cons?

I have an HS65MG that I picked up 2nd hand, with a spare for parts for $10 here and I like it so far. The MG90S seems to be a little faster and maybe a little smaller in dimension, but a little heavier, too.

Thoughts? And I'm looking for info other than the huge cost difference.

spoo76 01-02-2013 10:14 AM

Btw if it matter the eclipse chassis pictured is the same wheelbase as a trekker and keeps the links in the same place.

shhuskins 01-02-2013 10:28 AM

Wow sorry for the 180 degrees of flex. Up way to early this morning. Thanks for the RC4WD wheels suggestions the more I look at them they look like much higher quality than HR. I like the fact its longer and wider than a mcrc just didn't know if all of of would fit into a TMC v2 I really like that chassis. Are their better shocks than the HR? Yes I'm sorry was planning on upgrading servo just forgot about it. What is better for wheel weights solder or bbs or will their be enough room in the big tires for both? Sorry for so many question. To shortbus I could basically swap chassis to the stock mcrc and it would just be longer and wider? Also can someone say what size allthread and aluminum tubing for links? I had found the sizes but now forget.

spoo76 01-02-2013 10:52 AM

Quality of the HR wheels are fine,its just that the center of the wheel is bigger so the bead lock can screw in. That and the different bead in the tire Makes it so the miclaws wont fit. You could also do the PVC beadlock mod to your stock wheels.
The hot racing shocks look nice,but for the $ they don't perform any better.

As far as wheel weights the miclaw tires have solder around the wheels & BBs in the tires. The factory wheels are then pushed into micro RS4 wheels.

Sh0rtBus 01-02-2013 10:52 AM

I think the tubing is 1/8" ID if I'm not mistaken. I actually used carbon fiber tubing to save a little weight. May end up getting aluminum/steel tubing, though, to add some weight down low. I want to say the allthread is like 2/56, but that doesn't sound right.

You could swap everything over to the McRC chassis and it would basically be just a longer version of that. Not sure about the width, but I think the Trekker and McRC are the same in that aspect. Trekker is just longer. Basically the difference between a Jeep JK 2dr and a Jeep JK Unlimited.

And I will second the info about the HR shocks. I have them on my Trekker and they look great! But the one I have on the driver rear actually binds up at full compression. I think I need to take it apart and clean up the piston. I pulled the springs out because they were binding up, too, so I'm running them full droop. It works nice, but sacrifices ground clearance some. And with the springs in, it made my ride height a little too tall. Having said all that, though, I will definitely buy another set for my McRC.

spoo76 01-02-2013 10:56 AM

All thread info is in the stickys up top. I think its 2-56? Allthread

spoo76 01-02-2013 01:15 PM

Trekker is wider because of wider hexes and longer axle stubs. With mini Qlo Miclaw tires you may still get some rubbing on the upper links, A cheap fix is the wide offset wheel mod

spoo76 01-02-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus (Post 4102707)
And I will second the info about the HR shocks. I have them on my Trekker and they look great! But the one I have on the driver rear actually binds up at full compression. I think I need to take it apart and clean up the piston. I pulled the springs out because they were binding up, too, so I'm running them full droop. It works nice, but sacrifices ground clearance some. And with the springs in, it made my ride height a little too tall. Having said all that, though, I will definitely buy another set for my McRC.

to get the HR shocks a bit more loose you can heat up the shaft with a lighter and cycle it a few times or even take them completely apart and remove one of the O rings inside the shock body that add friction to the shaft. Springs are definitely stiff however

shhuskins 01-03-2013 02:46 AM

Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it. The MG90S is it the tower pro from the what to buy sticky for 7 dollars? Also thoughts on a regular DDT not a big block and the miclaws? I'm looking for a nice controlled Crawler not a race truck. How many turns in the motor as well that still confuses me. And yes ill be running a 2s lipos probably 300mah thanks again. Glad allthread and tubing is really cheap!

dieselmudder 01-03-2013 07:12 AM

running a ddt predator 90 on my weighted bone stock McRc, theres no such thing as a race truck with these little guys. Danally recommended the size based on my setup, if i decide to go with the bigger miclow's i need to bump up to a 100 turn. motor will be overall slower, with more torque. but the increased tire size will put the vehicle at about the same overall speed. the big block and stroker motors are overall bigger, and mods have to be done to fit them into the vehicle. im also running 2s 350 Lipo. and its worked great for me. motor was a drop in, already had the leads and all. only thing i reccommend is a new pinion. mine stripped shortly after i swapped it.

Sh0rtBus 01-03-2013 07:48 AM

I'm running the 110T Big Block and it works great. Not a racer for sure, but it does have plenty of wheelspeed when you need it. Lots of low-end torque and crawls really well, too. I'm not running MiClaws, but I am running weighted RC4WD beadlock wheels and Baja Claws. Also have a little weight on the servo to help keep the front end down, so my Trekker isn't exactly light. The 110T in my opinion is perfect, at least for my set-up. Not sure about the stroker....don't know if I want to venture there or not for my McRC.

spoo76 01-03-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shhuskins (Post 4104126)
Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it. The MG90S is it the tower pro from the what to buy sticky for 7 dollars? Also thoughts on a regular DDT not a big block and the miclaws? I'm looking for a nice controlled Crawler not a race truck. How many turns in the motor as well that still confuses me. And yes ill be running a 2s lipos probably 300mah thanks again. Glad allthread and tubing is really cheap!

The MG90 & MG90S are sold under a few names all over the internet, but yes in this case the towerpro in the sticky. I believe I posted a valuehobby link to both the servos and some cheap micro lipos and they are now in the Sticky parts list.

The higher the # of turns a motor has the slower the speed and the more torque. lower turn motors are faster and have less torque.
the small stock sized motors are great, affordable and a direct drop in, However the big block kits should be a direct bolt in to trekkers & micros and offer even more low end torque and most importantly better low end control while still giving you enough speed to bump over things.
On the trekker the big block & the 180 stroker are a bolt in with the Danally kit, the 180 stroker is cheaper than the big block and gives you INSANE low end control & torque even over the big blocks. Danally provides all the parts needed in the kit.

The 180 stroker in the Trekker (MC4x4) is a tight fit but requires no mods with the kit. the 130 big block is the same diameter just shorter
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...119_204701.jpg

So the cliff notes:
More/higher turns/winds = more torque & less speed & less heat
Less/lower turns = Less torque higher top speed & more heat

Bigger motor can = more low end control,much more torque & the ability to keep some or even gain some top speed. Also much less heat

If you plan to run the bigger Mini QLo Miclaw tires he bigger tire diameter and any weight you add will slow the trekker down some so a low turn/wind big block or stroker would be nice

shhuskins 01-03-2013 10:06 AM

Thanks a bunch exactly the info I was looking for! Hope in the next week or two I can turn this into a build thread, been picking up a lot of overtime at work so hopefully I can have enough to pick up the trekker and a handfuls of goodies. You guys rock best Crawler site on the web!