Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Jim's Specter! O.o

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #361
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Jim's Specter! O.o

Cant wait for these to become available, surprise surprise!!! Ill be waiting for that email notification, where when I click the link, and scroll to the bottom of the page, somewhere ther will be a VENDORS/FOR SALE HERE LINK, OMG NOW IM EXCITED AGAIN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
I had an epiphany on my drive in to work this morning. Once these become available, I'm considering rather than going traditional crawler style, I might make this more of a micro basher.....by adding a Losi 10k brushless motor & ESC out of my rally.
Thoughts?
Don't use losi worm gear axles if you want speed, use redcat sumo axles, they have ring and pinion, and mount up to losi driveshafts and ball cups. This the direction I have been planning to go for quite some time......right all my micro stuff is sitting in a box downstairs......and this chassis really looks like the perfect fit, esp since there are so few other options.

Any way you go about it, maybe try different brushed motors and gearings. I'm not sure how hard you're intending to bash, I'm just wondering how much abuse these tiny internals can take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulldiver View Post
could you scale one of these up to, say mrc scale? If not I guess ill have to buy a trekker.
So you mean a 1/18th scale chassis? Would be awesome, but I just want these available first.... Btw the losi MICRO trekker is the same scale as the crawler, and uses many of the same parts.

Last edited by jaytet; 01-07-2014 at 04:51 PM.
jaytet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #362
Pebble Pounder

I will go for one for sure.super nice set up
1tuffmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #363
Pebble Pounder

Oh my. I've been off the boards now for a year and I come back and see this awesomeness! Yeah, count me for purchase if this becomes available. I'll be working on a SCX10 rubicon to match my real life jeep, so i guess I could rework my micro to make it look like my wraith!
agent00111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #364
Rock Stacker

This thread is what got me wanting a micro.........So one into my hands tonight, and another later this week.......

Awesome work, One of the few threads i've read end to end multiple times.
spidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #365
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
I had an epiphany on my drive in to work this morning. Once these become available, I'm considering rather than going traditional crawler style, I might make this more of a micro basher.....by adding a Losi 10k brushless motor & ESC out of my rally.

Thoughts?
The losi 10250kv motor will be way to much speed and almost no torque. Right now I have sumo axles on my trekker with miclaws, losi 8750kv motor with 10/58 gearing and on 2s it pulls one wheel up under full throttle and on 3s it strips the inside of the pinion out. Lol it has absolutely no low speed or crawler ability. I would suggest a motor under 6000kv just to start and you may still need to go with a lower kv just to slow it down some more. Just remember that you can always gear up with a lower kv motor for more speed.

Another problem I ran into is the fact that using the sumo axles on a trekker chassis made me have to move the upper links to the inside of the chassis to keep from binding and motors over 20mm long wont fit anymore due to the ball stud and link hittin the back of the motor can. Basically a custom chassis is needed for more room and motor options.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
kevinhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #366
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhayden View Post
The losi 10250kv motor will be way to much speed and almost no torque. Right now I have sumo axles on my trekker with miclaws, losi 8750kv motor with 10/58 gearing and on 2s it pulls one wheel up under full throttle and on 3s it strips the inside of the pinion out. Lol it has absolutely no low speed or crawler ability. I would suggest a motor under 6000kv just to start and you may still need to go with a lower kv just to slow it down some more. Just remember that you can always gear up with a lower kv motor for more speed.
Dare I broach the topic of 2 speed transmission in a micro?? I know: I can't have it all. Plus even if there was a 2spd transmission, I'd have to give up rear-wheel steer servo to pull that off.

I love my micro, probably used that the most this past year. I wouldn't say that it has 'bashing speed', but it's a great crawler. I think with Jim's Specter frame, yes, that would warrant a better balanced approach to motor and gear ratio to find the happy medium.
agent00111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #367
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent00111 View Post
Dare I broach the topic of 2 speed transmission in a micro?? I know: I can't have it all. Plus even if there was a 2spd transmission, I'd have to give up rear-wheel steer servo to pull that off.

I love my micro, probably used that the most this past year. I wouldn't say that it has 'bashing speed', but it's a great crawler. I think with Jim's Specter frame, yes, that would warrant a better balanced approach to motor and gear ratio to find the happy medium.
A 2 speed tranny would be great if there was a cheap easy way to build one that functions well. Really I would love to see just a lower geared tranny than what losi comes with to slow the sumo axles down some. Its a lot easier to gear it up for speed than it is to gear it down for torque when it comes to mixing the sumo axles and losi trans. Im going to try out a 3800kv inrunner soon to see if I can gain some torque and slow it down a touch but if it doesn't work I will go with a 2000kv outrunner. Its basically trial and error right now for me tryin to make this work so that it's more of a trail truck instead of a speed demon foff

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
kevinhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #368
Pebble Pounder

Real question... Are you planning on getting some ready to sell? If not I'm saving money for a summit and the micro prolly won't be used much.
dannan_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #369
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannan_w View Post
Real question... Are you planning on getting some ready to sell? If not I'm saving money for a summit and the micro prolly won't be used much.
i was wondering the same thing since i first saw the prototype`s on google
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #370
RCC Addict

I'm really sorry but there are too many posts to answer each one. I do plan to sell this stuff. I don't know how much longer it will take to get set up. I fell from a ladder 8 ft to concrete, then past out cold standing up crashed my head through drywall wall. I been out of commission for some time.
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #371
RCC Addict

man that sucks epic balls. hope your ok, and everything is well.

dont stress about people pushing, this is your hobby and when you finally get your product ready for release, people will be gratefull/thankful you spent the extra time on the design and ruling out the issues.

hope you get well soon mate
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #372
RCC Addict

I got a real hard head. lol Just a run of bad luck I hope is over...
Old 02-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #373
RCC Addict

Hope your bad luck ended with the Broncos today! Bummer about your head.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #374
RCC Addict

It's been cold cold cold.

I found a super easy way to make custom links. You have to know exactly what you want though, because they are not adjustable. But they are a lot more scale looking. I took some 0.062" stainless steel rod and cut it to length. Added the bends for the lowers. I crimped two creases in each end with the wire cutters. I then glued them in with superglue. The glue wicks in with a little coaxing.

So I finally got in some parts and am finishing my wider chassis.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #375
RCC Addict

Lookin good Jim!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #376
RCC Addict

Looks so good!
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #377
Rock Crawler

Very jealous of this. Can't wait to cut the back off and add a spare tire.
Werty Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #378
RCC Addict

Mounted a 180mAh Lipo under the hood. I swapped the trany back to stock orientation to have more room for the battery, and to clear the way for a driver inside. Drives very nice.

Here's something I've been messing with. They are 0.4mod 24 tooth I think. Press fit onto 3mm axles. I need to design the case parts.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #379

Looks super nice. Can't hardly wait.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk
treber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #380
Rock Stacker

man I'd love to have a small transfer case for my S-10 project! that looks perfect.
desii3d is offline   Reply With Quote

Jim's Specter! O.o - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jim's TUBER!!! O.o Fungi Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 311 08-06-2015 12:49 PM
Jim's Moab trip Mnster Videos! 65 02-20-2013 10:01 AM
Big Jim's Snipe fishh8me Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 15 12-28-2008 08:01 AM
Hillbilly Jim's FJ-40 Build Echodawg 2.2 Scale Rigs 180 08-28-2008 08:40 AM