Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: $1.50 1/2 off Good Will Special TJ Scaler.. The beginning.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default $1.50 1/2 off Good Will Special TJ Scaler.. The beginning.

Well, was bumpin around at a Good Will waiting for my buddy to get out of his probation meeting on Valentine's Day. I was looking for things for other people, but ended up in the toy section. Dug around a little bit and saw this gem of a TJ body attached to what seemed to me was a battery operated toy Jeep. $2.99 it said with an orange sticker. Looked around a bit more, saw that orange stickers were half off.. Keeping in mind I haven't screwed around with my micros... or my R/C's at all for several weeks if not a couple of months. I'm just hoping the body is around the right size for stock size tires or MiClaws.

Got it home, took the body off the "chassis" and grabbed some stock micro tires.

Money

Got a couple of hours yesterday and for the first time in my life made my own chassis plates. I had some styrene stock laying around for another project in limbo. I had a couple of prototype frame rails before I settled on what you see here. I should have taken more pictures to show the "build thread montage" but I'm notoriously terrible at that because I just get too into the build to stop for pictures.

Here's a couple.. Kind of a tease at this point. I'm just trying things out, seeing where things are going to fit. I think the final product will be a 4 link rear, with a 3 link/pan hard in the front. servo will be off of the axle, and I will be using micro t shocks probably. I hope I still have my 3 racing ones somewhere, as I found out quickly if I want to maintain that "weekend trail rig" look I couldn't use the McRC shocks. They are simply too tall. I will be using stock micro size tires, the MiClaws are too big. Umm.. Yeah. It should be a cool build, the body could not be more perfect.

I think it's called a Mighty-Mo they came with a Chrysler-esque looking key fob that would remotely do 3-4 things to the jeep. I wish I could figure out how to get the sound to work on my R/C version. Although I am unaware of any of the things it actually does cause I don't have the "radio" for it. Nor have I bothered to put any batteries in it. It does have lights. I will be utilizing for this build for sure.

Definitely not the most amazing build. It probably won't be. But I wanted to do a "toy car" hard body build.
DSchulten88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: $1.50 1/2 off Good Will Special TJ Scaler.. The beginning.

Dude, that's really awesome. I like your chassis a lot!
I've never worked with styrene- do you heat it to get it to bend?
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
Dude, that's really awesome. I like your chassis a lot!
I've never worked with styrene- do you heat it to get it to bend?
Yeah, just a bic lighter. The stuff is stupid easy to work with, this is my first time ever attempting something like it. Like I said, I went through a couple prototypes just figuring out how much I needed to add to my measurements when I actually make the bend. Pretty simple trial and error. When I bent up the final products here I taped the two pieces of styrene together.. Same with when I drill holes.

I may make it out of brass at some point, or aluminum or steel... But styrene is incredibly easy to work with. Stuff threads into it nicely too.
DSchulten88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Looking forward to the finished project on this one.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm about to go hit up a brand new big chain store. Hopefully the toys are fully stocked. Mu last find was a caterpillar like f-550 or chevy 6500. I hooked up the sound buttons on the roof to a single cell heli lipo.
RcLee is offline   Reply With Quote

$1.50 1/2 off Good Will Special TJ Scaler.. The beginning. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**SPECIAL** C.I. Wraith Front Electronic Tray - $10 Shipped Worldwide **SPECIAL** Nova's Ark Vendors Electronics 12 09-07-2012 01:29 PM