Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Micro tires, foam or no foam???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Micro tires, foam or no foam???

I just ordered a set of the RC4WD Baja Claws for my Trekker, which haven't showed up yet, and was wandering how you guys run them. With or without the included foams? Also, if you got any tricks to make them work a little better post them up.

So far, my weighted wheels weigh in at 42 grams for the fronts, and around 38 for the rears. On top of this I have a set of the brass widener weights coming. With those and my wheels I should be close to 50 grams of wheel weight at each corner. I'm running the DP torsion chassis for the Trekker and, so far, it loves the wheel weight!

With my previous setup I was running around 40 grams for a front weight, and 28 grams in the rears, between BBs and my BWD wheel weights. The BBs really prevented the tires from doing anything as far as flexing. I'm just worried about the softer Baja Claws collapsing like a flat without anything in them. This truck is pushing 14 oz, and I don't want to have to put the foams in later. You know, after the tires are glued on...

Also, has anybody found a glue that can be used for the tires and peeled back off easily to change wheel weight? I was considering trying this black 3M weather strip adhesive or rubber cement I have here. I'm done with the super glue though! Ripping the sidewall trying to get your tires back off sucks.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Micro tires, foam or no foam???

at this scale I run Foamless. my McRC stock wheels were much softer than the trekker's wheels and they were fine on the rocks.
best idea for your set up is try it foamless before you set anything in stone, and if it absolutely is crushed, try cut up foams (the star toothed cut probably.)
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Just to clarify, I used to run BBs and the BWD weight set #1 in my previous setup. This time I have filled the center of the wheel with lead weight, I'm running the same BWD weights, and I have washers stacked in the back of the wheels around the hex nub. I've never ran a set of micro tires with NOTHING in them, and didn't want to find out after they're glued, that they're too soft.

I had considered using a hole punch on the foams. I just so happen to have one that has like 8 different hole sizes, and stars (haha, star cut...)! I could start with smaller holes through the foam if I have to run them, and go larger if I want to soften them up a little more. With the holes cut in them it wouls still leave the sidewall supported. I'm mostly worried about the sidewalls rolling on hills. I'm hoping I can run them with no foams, but I also don't want any flats on the trail...

Last edited by 89redranger; 04-18-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
RCC Addict

On all small tires like the claws and boggers I run them no foams. I also like the bb's in those.

I keep all my foams and use them in my Miclaws. It really helps to keep them upright. They are just so big and soft that they buckle easily. I actually break parts too much with the Miclaws with no foams.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Reading this post today was weird timing because I just received a set of the Baja Claws yesterday. I found the included foams to be stiffer than the foams that came in my roc lox so I used the roc lox foams. I have already hole punched them. The roc lox that I took off sealed to my rims air tight so when I changed to the Baja's I drilled a .9 mm hole through my HR rims to vent air. The tires grip really well but still seem a little stiff, I'm going to break them in for a while before I do anything else.

I'm stoked on these tires. The added diameter makes my entire wheeling area way to easy. I have to reposition the rocks to make it harder as part of rehabbing my arm when the doc clears me to use it. The tires look cool too.
Attached Images

LavaCapCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Foamless and bbs is the way to go IMO. If anything Foam in the rear only.
smuggl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Just curious, what's with the BBs? Everybody says to use BBs, and that's what I just got rid of finally. Am I going to have problems with the lead rope I have wrapped around the rim?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaCapCrawling View Post
Reading this post today was weird timing because I just received a set of the Baja Claws yesterday. I found the included foams to be stiffer than the foams that came in my roc lox so I used the roc lox foams. I have already hole punched them. The roc lox that I took off sealed to my rims air tight so when I changed to the Baja's I drilled a .9 mm hole through my HR rims to vent air. The tires grip really well but still seem a little stiff, I'm going to break them in for a while before I do anything else.

I'm stoked on these tires. The added diameter makes my entire wheeling area way to easy. I have to reposition the rocks to make it harder as part of rehabbing my arm when the doc clears me to use it. The tires look cool too.

Dude, I just noticed the chassis! When I rode BMX I used to give my buddy Mike a hard time about how he was a gram pincher, and how I was surprised he hadn't started drilling holes in his bike frame. You sure took that to the next level...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Bb's stay at the lowest point of the tire and it puts less stress on the drivetrain Bc the motor doesn't have to turn the weight of the bb's
smuggl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I'm still thinking I'll run them with the lead rope around the wheel this time. I can see your point, and I loved the COG with them, but I'm tired of the BBs just balling up at the bottom of the tire. I realize this is the ideal place to put the weight, but it's not the place for a hard spot that doesn't allow the tire to flex at all. While I also realize that the micro tires probably won't have a lot of flex, it's worth a try.

Micro tires, foam or no foam??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock tires, foam or no foam... warfish Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 04-15-2011 12:33 PM
Axials with standard foam Vs Losi with Memory foam - bounce test Mud Puppy Tires and Wheels 3 10-24-2010 11:10 AM
Nova foam vs. Proline 2 stage oversize foam sbarnesvta Tires and Wheels 36 05-07-2010 09:04 AM
do i trim the memory foam like i did the reg foam with the stock tires? bmuenter Tires and Wheels 8 08-15-2008 08:59 PM