Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: My brushless trail trekker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My brushless trail trekker

Ok, so this is my first thread post on here and so I don't know how this will turn out but ill give it a shot. I've had some people ask me about my trekker and how I did the brushless conversion so I guess ill show you. but first ill show you the mods I did.

well like all trekkers mine started out stock

And it stayed that way for a week before i got bored with it in stock form so I bought some tsl boggers for it but couldent use them because(after i bought them) apparently the stock wheel aren't actual "Bead-locks". so I just put them aside(for about 8 months). so after that disappointment I bought a lipo for it(dynamite 180mah 2s) and that made it so much fun! Longer run times and more power. but with more power something has to give and first on the list the servo. So i bought a new cheap servo to replace it. so after like a week my motor went out. All well i had it for like a month so That was pretty understand able. So i bought a new motor but apparently it was the micro-t motor witch is a different motor. it has less torque but more speed long story short i went threw 3 motor in a month and it made me SO mad!

I started researching for a brushless conversion for my trekker(I hate brushed motors) and i found a thread on how to put a plain motor in a trekker. but one problem was it was a eight gram motor witch is to big and requires alot of modding. So i searched again and found a thread(cant find it now). anyways heres what I used for the brushless setup.

1. hexTronik 5gram Brushless Outrunner 2000kv

2. Turnigy TrackStar 25A 1/18th Scale Brushless Car ESC

3. ZIPPY Flightmax 350mAh 2S 20C (USA Warehouse)

4. Hobby King GT-2 2.4Ghz 2Ch Tx & Rx

now for some pictures

when you get your motor it looks like this

first cut these

then hammer the shaft gently

then i just drilled a hole and mounted like these but you can do it however you want

then this is how i wired everthing(I can get more pictures if anyone needs them)

and this is what it looks like now

flex!

If anyone needs more pictures or has any questions please ask And i will try to answer!

and some more pictures!

dirtbikekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: My brushless trail trekker

WOAH!!! PADDLES!!!!!

yeah i saw that thread and thought of using what was listed in that thread for a faster rig.. i want to make a rock bouncer (but not a tube chassis)... but going with danally 50t or 60t and will run redcat sumo axles.. so will have 4ws and sumo axles gearing are faster.. so will see...

what tires are they? Lego tires you glued rubber to?

looks nice! and ya gotta do a video for us!!!! another thing if you can put regular tires on it...

also can you go here and do this? we have some options in here but no brushless yet!!!!!
Spur/Pinion/Motor speed

once i get sumo axles I will be updating some of the above to add to them.. nice little thread I started for others to see speed expectancies if you want speed...
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

They are lego tires that I glued some windshield wiper blades to. Want some pics?

heres a video

brushless trail trekker with paddles - YouTube

Brushless trail trekker sand hill no paddles - YouTube
Old 09-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

ok so i took some more current pictures so i thought id show you guys

first is the flex(danally rims with 2 washers in each rim, front and back)

Now the ride height
1.normal

2.fully compressed

3.fully uncompressed

Width

Bottom

flex with all tires on the ground

It doesnt tip back to easy evan with a waighted tire on top and with a 850mah 2s lipo(last pictures shows the setup)

and the setup

oh and steering angle

Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

few things...
1. yeah all tires on the ground is a good judgement of flex.. u got it there!!!!!
2. 850mah.. WOAH!!!! your gonna play for 3 days straight!!!!!!!! lol... im running a 350mah zippy 2s up front and havent ran a full battery yet so not sure how long.
3. steering is sick.. u got some good steer.. did you do anything special??

you still didnt go to the link i provided to do the speed math..

I know I have heard brushless on sumo axles is crazy insane...just stopped and full throttle..
you list your 5something00 brushless... need to know top speed and also if low speed control.
I am trying to find a brushless setup that is rock bouncer worthy.....
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

with the 850mah lipo i get around 2 1/2 hours of continuous runtime(i get bored before it dies) and i get an hour with a 350mah(i have 4 of them )

nothing special with the steering, heres some pitcures

i dont really get how to do the speed math thing could you explain how to do it?

With my brushless setup i have quite a bit of control.

I dont know of you could rock bounce with my setup(you would snap tons of axles haha) but it might be able to work.

I need to get some sumo crawler axles so i can do more testing(i barrowed my sisters just for fun) do you know who i might be able to get some from or were i should request at?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I am quite interested in your setup as well! I am looking for enough low end to crawl & the wheel speed to make it jump/rock bounce. Long story short, I want to make it micro wraith worthy. Could you post up another video of some top end speed or of it generally crawling outside of the sandbox you have there! Nice build man.
wilbywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikekid View Post

i dont really get how to do the speed math thing could you explain how to do it?

fairly easy... on that page put your Spur/pinion/speed/notes

so spur gear (the one on the trans)
pinion gear (on motor)
Speed (calculated and i will explain next)
Notes (what model esc/motor)

so to calculate... you find any length of distance you want... I used my kitchen floor as they are 12" tiles...

so lets say you have a 6 foot run...
you use a stop watch (most likely someone else to start it while you drive )
when you hit that 6' mark stop the stop watch.

go to Time, Speed and Distance Calculator

enter the info into the third section called Speed Calculated by Distance and Time .. example... lets say 16' distance and 10 seconds...
on that site it says 1.6 feet per second....

Quote:
With my brushless setup i have quite a bit of control.
if you can do a video of the slowest manageable speed that will crawl a bit.. then all throttle???? that would help... especially on losi axles as you have..
i think i read you have a 5xxxkv motor and i know higher = more speed???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbywise View Post
I am quite interested in your setup as well! I am looking for enough low end to crawl & the wheel speed to make it jump/rock bounce. Long story short, I want to make it micro wraith worthy. Could you post up another video of some top end speed or of it generally crawling outside of the sandbox you have there! Nice build man.
yeah im not looking to crawl with it.. i want to go all Jordan Tanner... so enough umph to move to a line.. then hammer time.. we go to lake george ny every year and there are a couple of extreme hills we climb to get to the party zones.. and it would be perfect... would look like many of the hills those guy take on.... so i want something for more bouncing off the rev limiter than crawling.. but it needs a little bit of lower speed... no on then off only....
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Ok I got a video. Its a short video but i hope it gets the job done.

Bushless trail trekker short drive - YouTube

The motor is a 2000kv motor. i have it geared stock spur with the medium pinion gear(not sure how many teath it is). You can probably gear it up alot for the losi axle to get mot speed. once i can get some sumo axles Ill get video of that to(probably with some paddles! )

Ill do that speed calculator later.

Heres a video in the sand with sumo axles Losi trail trekker with sumo axles in sand - YouTube

Last edited by THX_138; 11-02-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

So how does this motor compare to the stock setup on 2s? From watching the first video it seems kinda about the same but its hard to tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well i just ordered it anyway for $8 i already have that same esc in my mini t but i ordered a 10amp one to try out too

Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Id say its slower then the stock losi motor but the torque is ridiculous. Unlike the most brushed motors this motor never gets hot like no matter what you do! I was doing some torque pull test with it(put a 3s 5000mah lipo and a slipper on top of the trekker and pulled another slipper with 4 6cell nimh batteries on the sliper) for about a 20min and the motor was only 120f and the esc was 102f! I was petty impessed.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Nice! I should have mine on monday. So does the outside of the motor spin with the shaft? Im still confused about the whole outrunner thing. It looks like it does, if it does do you ever have a problem with it rubbing on anything?

Old 10-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

yea the outside is connected to the shaft. I haven't had a problem with it rubbing anything but if you run it in sand you can get a grains of it between the magnets in side. if it does happen it will just not go. I just spin the outside of the motor until it spins freely.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Ok thanks thats good to know. I mostly only use my micros indoors anyway. I have a nice spray foam course on 32 1 foot by 1 foot square masonite. That way every time i set it up its a different course. It works out good

Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
Drc

Sweet build. My trekker is coming in the mail, can't wait to start modding it. Yeah that's wright , I can't leave things alone or in stock condition anyway.

Actually my micro crawler hasn't been tinkered much in a couple of months, what's wrong with me haha, oh yeah we did just move . I'll let it slide this time. Hmmm... If I reduce my sleeping time then I'll gain more project build time.... Moooo ooh aaahhh haaaaa- my mad scientist laugh

Those wheels with paddles are cool, where can you get just the wheels without buying the whole 150pcs Lego set.lol , are the tires solid, or can you add bbs. Is the compound sticky? Seems like I'm trying to ask the most questions in one post, I'm going for the record. Thanks

Ok last question I promise, is that track the spray insulation foam and does it work well for micro tire grip? Darn that's really two questions. Sorry I'll stop now.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-02-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Drc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #17
I joined the Band!

^^^ yeah i know your trekker wont stay stock... but you also didnt say you will stop at 1 trail trekker!!!! you will find that you will build one to a "liking" then find that it wont do other certain things and you will want to build another for that... then all of a sudden... 8 trekkers later!!!!!!!!!! your satisfied........................MEHHHHHH NO YOUR NOT!!!!!!!! HAH
Old 10-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Anyone try this brushless motor on 3 cell yet?
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I covered it with a grey sanded grout so it looks more like rocks. I also did some of it with regular sand. I mixed some glue with a little water and painted the foam with it then covered it in sand. The grip is ok. Im sure there are better things out there but im ok with a little wheel spinning sometimes. It makes it seem more realistic

Old 10-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcplante View Post
I covered it with a grey sanded grout so it looks more like rocks. I also did some of it with regular sand. I mixed some glue with a little water and painted the foam with it then covered it in sand. The grip is ok. Im sure there are better things out there but im ok with a little wheel spinning sometimes. It makes it seem more realistic

sounds great....

start a seperate thread with pics and how you did it for us to see and figure if we can do one like it.. that would be sweet!!!!!!!!

My brushless trail trekker - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushless micro trail trekker? Bigblockrockwells Newbie General 6 10-01-2013 03:05 PM
trail trekker brushless?? akrcguy Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 10-29-2012 03:17 PM
Losi Trail Trekker Gravedigger Brushless Video Included stomper4x4.com Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 9 02-22-2012 10:06 AM
dustinbleh's *BRUSHLESS* Losi Micro 4x4 Trail Trekker Build! dustinbleh Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 63 08-01-2011 03:15 PM
Trail Trekker RCTRUX Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 05-24-2011 10:42 AM