Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Lava's New Flow...A Tuber.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Lava's New Flow...A Tuber.

I started a tuber and feel pretty sure I will finish this one so I decided to post it. I'm using telescoping tubing and cross drilling and pinning joints as much as possible. To achieve quality bends in the .093 tubing that makes up most of the frame, I inserted solder into the tubing from end to end, made my bends, then melted the solder out with a torch.

This rig will be four wheel steer equipped with a Bastens 2-3 channel steering control. It's my first attempt at four wheel steering and I'm pretty stoked on the thought of it.

I still have to add gusseting and shock mounts. Panelling also, I going to use ultra fine brass screen I think it will look cool. The photos are taken as she sits unsprung. I will also be doing a Rev B on the shocks I made for my last rig.
Attached Images

LavaCapCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Lava's New Flow...A Tuber.

Mighty fine work man.

I like the style...not the same old tuber look. Way to keep it interesting
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Danally! I crawl in isolation so my ideas evolve on their own. It's just kinda the way it came out.

I installed shock mounts, they are brass nuts soldered together. I made a electronics tray and new stainless links too. I installed everything to check fits and it looks decent. Once the sides are covered everything should be hidden except a few wires.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Very nice work, i like the lines and the shock mounts are creative
MikeChino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! MikeChino.

I finished attaching the bronze mesh and brass running boards. I think it came out pretty cool. For the time being I am not painting the rig. I want to see if I have any weak joints before I commit to color. I might do a black patina, my brother does stained glass and has it around. The whole thing would be black.

The battery box is a polycarb sheet from mcmaster folded into a complex box to fit the space and electronics I had. I'm still using the springs underneath, they add tons of stability and make the HR shocks work OK.

The Bastens Quad steer works well.

One Good Minute Micro Crawl - YouTube
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

Looks awesome. How's the flex?
josh h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh h View Post
Looks awesome. How's the flex?
She flexes O.K. I am still working on getting the tension between the shocks and pull down springs balanced with the weight of frame. The pictures are at max flex before the springs pull the back tire up, when I'm crawling the suspension can be forced a bit further when squeezed. The pull spring is visible at the 10:00 position on the back tire in the second photo.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

This rig is up and running again! I was having a problem pulling the beads out of the rims and dumping all the ball bearings. I put on my Mickey T's and they hold better than the rock locks that I had on. The miclaws burn my servos out bad and require frequent repair at hitec. I did mod the Mickeys with nail clippers to improve there grip while traversing rocks. Pictures coming soon. I fixed this rig up and broke a pin off the drive shafts.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I am selling this rig and all my micro crawler stuff. It's three years of custom tinkering. Custom losi trail trekker + extras Custom losi trail trekker + extras | eBay
Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

This crawler is relisted on eBay. I have one of each of the DDT motors included, does anyone know the can sizes for them I don't know the technical way to describe them and cannot find the DDT sale page. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaCapCrawling View Post
This crawler is relisted on eBay. I have one of each of the DDT motors included, does anyone know the can sizes for them I don't know the technical way to describe them and cannot find the DDT sale page. Thanks.
The big one is a 180, the middle one a 130, and I really don't know how to describe the standard size one. Best of luck with the sale!
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lava's New Flow...A Tuber. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lava's First Tuber. LavaCapCrawling Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 31 05-25-2014 09:58 AM
Lava's Suspension: A Photo How To. (pic heavy) LavaCapCrawling Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 2 09-29-2013 08:20 PM
Did a little air-flow modding to my exo!!! Burnitup Non Crawler RC's 8 05-05-2012 09:48 PM