Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: First ever scale build!! (Losi Trail Trekker)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #1

Default First ever scale build!! (Losi Trail Trekker)

Hey "crawlers"! I have been into rc for about 8 years now but mostly just raced dirt oval. Now i got mini helis, a ridgecrest, this trail trekker, a T4 for offroad racing and my Dirt oval cars as I still do that year round.This is my first ever attempt at a scale build. So i thought i'd start small and go with the Trail Trekker.

I have had this for about a year now. They are fun little trucks. Seeing the scale builds on here made me excited to try my own. I started this project last weekend, but finally found time to start thos thread. I already found things id do different on the next project, but I guess thats the way it goes. If you got any tips, or comments, please respond and thanks for looking!

Here is what I started with....
[IMG][/IMG]
streblowracing38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #2

Default Re: First ever scale build!! (Losi Trail Trekker)

Im using the box stock suspension and chassis

This is where I didnt know which route to take so the body wasnt way up in the air, so I had to put holes in the foor boards of the interior for the shocks and esc, so the body sits lower with the stock suspension. (Still need to sand down all my rough cuts) I set it down just low enough to where you can use the full suspension travel and not get body rub...
Old 01-23-2015, 07:04 AM   #3

I also had to cut the cab a bit for the esc...

It was then time to start with the bed of the truck. In order to get the wheel wells to match up with the wheel base of the truck, I decided to cut the length of the bed down, and rear fenders down..

Then once again i had to cut into the bed to keep it low enough with the cab. ( Im thinking....probably not the best way to do this now... ) but hopefully it works...

(Also need to do some sanding on my cuts to clean them up)
Old 01-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #4

I got this thread pretty much up to date now. I also got my rear fenders cut down in length so the fenders now match up to the bed of the truck. I hope to clean up my cuts today and maybe start painting the main body and rear box before I glue the bed and box together.

I also ordered the Mickey Thompson tires and beadlock wheels from RC4WD yesterday, so hopefully those come in the next week or so!
Old 01-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #5

Looking great, I did the exact same thing to my Toyota Hilux to get it to sit lower over the frame. I got the MT Baja Claws and beadlocks, I love them.
krazyglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Looks good! I made a frame that has about 1/2" lower rails. I was able to mount the body without cutting the bed at all. There will be some material removed from the interior tub, but not a lot. Here is the shorter version.

Here is the truck on the longer version of the chassis.
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
Looks good! I made a frame that has about 1/2" lower rails. I was able to mount the body without cutting the bed at all. There will be some material removed from the interior tub, but not a lot. Here is the shorter version.

I like it! Where did you get wheels from? I wish I would have seen those before I bought mine. Then I would have painted my body like my dads 75 Ford Explorer. Them wheels look pretty close to those!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungi View Post

Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Hi Streblowracing38 if you look below and to the left you will see Rims. Click that for my vendor page with more info. Thanks!
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #9

I got around to painting this last weekend. I wish I would have waited until I had some thinner tape to tape around the wheel wells better but it didnt turn out too bad. I think ill try to fix the rest with a brush. (I havent painted a model in like 13 years! Haha)

I used the "One Coat Laquer" paint. (Although I put on more than one coat. Ha) I also bought the "clear coat" and would like to add some of that. From what I understand, I can still put that stuff on.... correct? (Any help is appreciated!)

Here are a few pics from the painting. I wont get any further this week as I am into my bathroom remodel project this week! Hopefully I get that fun project done thos weekend so I can get back to this!

Old 01-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #10

Damn dude that look's great and to answer your question yes you can put clear coat over top of this. The purpose of a clear coat is to protect and of coarse add shine to the base colors underneath. I always put my spray cans in a warm cup of water before I shake them up and paint. Start out with a few "dry" mist coats and once it has a tacky rough look you can lay on nice heavy wet coats......be careful there is a fine line between wet smooth clear and a runny mess that needs to be stripped and redone. From the looks of it you are doing just fine with the one touch system. If that roll of blue tape in the last picture is what you used I am even more impressed, I don't care for that blue house paint crap. Tamiya makes really thin tape and I love plain old yellow 3m 3/4". Hurry up with that bathroom, I am liking this build a lot.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #11

Thanks Krazyglu! I appreciate the comments and the tips on the clear coat! I will give it a try next week. I better practice on the hood or something small like that first. Ha!

I did use that house paint tape you see in the pic. I didnt like it either and I do have the thinner 3/4" and 1/2" tape for taping off my full scale dirt oval race car but knowing me, I didnt feel like heading into town to get it from the race shop at my parents place so i made this work. Haha

We are making good progress on the bathroom so I should get back to this, next week! Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:20 AM   #12

Well I recieved my Mickey Thompson tires and beadlocks from RC4WD last week! You guys run the foams in them yet with the solder wrapped around the wheel or do you take the foams out?

Another thing I have been tossing around is putting the scale motor in. I just cant find a place to put my battery then, if I do that. (If I dont put the scale motor in, the battery is going in the engine compartment.) I thought about putting the battery in the bed of the truck but id like to keep that weight closer to the front and as you guys probably know I cant use the stock battery holder anymore due to the interior.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #13

I ran the foams and ended up taking them out, mine is light enough that it didn't need them. I ended up using bb's in them for weight. I think the scale motor would bring it to the next level, but you will sacrifice the weight in the back.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 AM   #14

Ya, ill try no foams at first to see how that goes. I think Ill put it together running the battery in the engine compartment. Then ill maybe build up the motor and switch that over at a later time. Thanks again for the help!!

I started doing some detail painting on the interior. I will finish that up next week along with putting the clear coat on. Itll then be ready for assembly!!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #15

Slowly but surely I am getting more done on this project. I started to assemble this weekend. Now its almost time to put body posts on and mount it!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I really dig the paint scheme you went with! The trucks lookin' great!
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Looks great! I'm building the same truck as well. Check out my thread.
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #18

Thanks guys! Hopefully it all turns out in the end. Like I said, ive never done a scale build and I havent messed with models since I was a kid. Haha
Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #19

A couple updated pics...

The fuel cell. (Along with my new RC4WD Beadlocks and Mickey Thompson Tires)

The interior. Had to move the seat up for the esc. Wish the details would have turned out a lil better. I guess I need to do more of these builds to improve my painting skills!!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:41 AM   #20

Got everything set on the chassis! Just need to finish up the rear body mounts. I will probably keep adding a few little things here and there to the project too!
(Sorry about the dust that showed up with the camera flash. I guess ill have to clean it up and take some outside pics. Not this morning though. Its -12 out. Haha)

I need to figure put how I want to mount the hood yet too.....

First ever scale build!! (Losi Trail Trekker) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Micro Trail Trekker F250 scaler build broncobeast79 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 17 10-11-2013 11:21 PM
Final Stage of Kubelwagen Build - Losi Trail Trekker Mod rampa202 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 10-31-2012 12:57 PM
dustinbleh's *BRUSHLESS* Losi Micro 4x4 Trail Trekker Build! dustinbleh Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 63 08-01-2011 03:15 PM