Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Wild Blue... Need ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Wild Blue... Need ideas

Ok so I wanted to make something with ca-hones!!!!!
like a southern rock bouncer
and I wanted to use this body...

I was told the sumo axles are the way to go for speed.. so I got some coming..
I have no ability with building a southern rock bouncer chassis like showtime or anything so now what I need to decide is

1. ideal wheel base
2. longer front links than back or waaaay longer front links???

just trying to grab some ideas...

parts that will be used
  1. sumo axls
  2. sumo esc
  3. boggers on Danally PVC mod Rims
  4. 90t Danally motor (for now)
  5. 4 wheel steer
  6. trekker trans
  7. custom links and driveshafts

I have everything (well some in the mail like axles, esc, tx) but will have enough parts to get her running, stuff worked out, then decide on motor...

so whatta ya think would be some good ideas??? thanks for lending me your artistic thoughts cuz my head dont work in this area

only pic i have from the front where you can see the front axle under it... i think the tires should be even further... do you???

RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wild Blue... Need ideas

Ideas? Lay that chassis pattern down on a CAD program like sketchup so us broke-asses can copy it. Sounded like an awesome idea to me...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
RCC Addict

My speed rigs run at least 5 1/2" - 6" wheel base. You will want the chassis to be stiff with all the bouncing around it will do. Will that chassis/body even give that?

I recently tried my hand at putting different motors in a sumo axle based rig and the 100 turn seemed to be just ok. It has some decent wheel speed and a tiny bit of crawling ability. All the other motor combo's I tried just lacked any crawling at all. The 50 turn one was funny and would do cool flips on the carpet but was a joke for any kind of off-roading. I guess I am just not a big fan of the combo. It's fun for a few minutes...then I go back to a rig that can crawl.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Ideas? Lay that chassis pattern down on a CAD program like sketchup so us broke-asses can copy it. Sounded like an awesome idea to me...
have at it.. u can copy it.. I posted up here and someone thinks it is a vacuum formed body..... I really want a actual rig from tubing... or something with side panels to hide the electronics but look a bit like a rock bouncer....

if ya got something Id trade it.. well maybe.. since it is 1 of a kind it is cool but the blue is coming off in certain areas.. as you see on the back of the passenger window...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
My speed rigs run at least 5 1/2" - 6" wheel base. You will want the chassis to be stiff with all the bouncing around it will do. Will that chassis/body even give that?
yeah im thinking stiff springs in the back and softer up front.. you want the front to take the shock and up over things so not super soft but not as hard as the back....

so guess ill give a 6" wheelbase thought to it.... get some axles setup with the tires and move them around to see if I like it....
Quote:
I recently tried my hand at putting different motors in a sumo axle based rig and the 100 turn seemed to be just ok. It has some decent wheel speed and a tiny bit of crawling ability. All the other motor combo's I tried just lacked any crawling at all. The 50 turn one was funny and would do cool flips on the carpet but was a joke for any kind of off-roading. I guess I am just not a big fan of the combo. It's fun for a few minutes...then I go back to a rig that can crawl.
I dont want any crawlability but I dont want off to super b@llz to the wall....

hmm 100turn.. well ill give a try at the 90t... non stroker...

so if the sumo and brushless is too fast.. im wondering if losi axles and brushless say 4100kv would do... i hear the worm gears dont like it and heat.. need to find metal ones!?!??!?!?!?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The losi 90 turn will heat up bad. Just not enough motor to make it work right. I would do a 2000kv brushless. I bet it will work. those have sick torque and don't cog much. The 4100 on the losi axles sucks. So much cogging it will make u cry...and the gears will eventuallly hate the speed. I ran a 35 turn stroker and it was a blast. I kept breaking drive lines with all the power. I put it on 3 cell just for fun and it was stupid...and it stayed pretty cool too.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

So Sumo Axels, Losi trekker trans and 35turn stroker on 3s is the ticket?

Quote:
The losi 90 turn will heat up bad. Just not enough motor to make it work right. I would do a 2000kv brushless. I bet it will work. those have sick torque and don't cog much. The 4100 on the losi axles sucks. So much cogging it will make u cry...and the gears will eventuallly hate the speed. I ran a 35 turn stroker and it was a blast. I kept breaking drive lines with all the power. I put it on 3 cell just for fun and it was stupid...and it stayed pretty cool too.
MikeChino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChino View Post
So Sumo Axels, Losi trekker trans and 35turn stroker on 3s is the ticket?
Actually the 35t was on the losi axles

On Redcat axles it would have done 25mph

It still crawled a bit and had awesome wheel spin for punching over stuff. Probably near twice as fast as stock. My big problem on 3 cell was how TOUCHY it was...just a little throttle went a long way
Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
The losi 90 turn will heat up bad.
even with sumo axles???

Quote:
Actually the 35t was on the losi axles

On Redcat axles it would have done 25mph

It still crawled a bit and had awesome wheel spin for punching over stuff. Probably near twice as fast as stock. My big problem on 3 cell was how TOUCHY it was...just a little throttle went a long way
well guess ill get her to a roller... links worked out and all that.. then will throw a 35t on the sumo's with 2s and take it from there.. and see if it is what I want...

im also thinking of ditching this body idea.. while it is a cool body.. it is a bit square for what I want and not sure it gives the mean-ness...

since I dont have the tools or know how to do a nice tuber.. i found a chassis where someone posted a printout.. so i just may take that and attempt to cut it out so will see... more on that later.. dont want to let that out of the bag!!!

this micro rc stuff is getting pretty ridiculous.... I have so many extra parts accumulating (not nearly like chevy55)...
but i just went into the garage and looked..

ok
3 that are going to stay the way they are...
1 set of losi axles and trans sitting...
1 set of sumo axles and trans coming
more esc tx, rx for sumo and trekker coming...ughhhh got enough coming and here for 3 more!!!!!!!

Last edited by RootBreaker; 10-07-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Know the feeling, im not going to do a topper becuase we all know chevy wins
Old 10-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

well parts are piling up... now have to figure out some way to put it all into a working mean bad ass vs the pile it is currently...

Body: Custom blue body
TX: Sumo Micro
ESC: Sumo Micro
Axles: Sumo Micro
Rims: Stock Trekker
Tires: Boggers
Beadlock Rings: Fungi custom bad azz rings!!!!!
Links: All thread and tubing
Transmission: Trekker
Motor: GetBent Predator 80 (temporary came with trans)

Goal is to get to a fully functional driving rig then figure out correct powerplant!!!!

Last edited by RootBreaker; 10-10-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

ok had to start.. i had 2 short pieces of all thread and some ends handy.. so made lower rear links... went to make uppers but seems the upper balls are a different size thread than the trekker ball studs?????

so I mapped out the length. The rear axle was set to a length where 4ws could be used.. think 1/8" gap when wheels are turned...

front..not sure how far forward I want it yet.. but a bit... rear springs will be tight... and front kinda soft.. so front can absorb impact and rear to handle power and not squat...

Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Just drill the ball stud holes in the axle to fit the Trekker ball studs. The Sumo ball ends strip easily, and are a pain to work around with Losi stuff. I already did the shocks holes for ya. I think it was a 3/32" bit.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
RCC Addict

BTW, I can't wait to see what this ends up like! Also, remove the gears and bearings before drilling. You may end up with the bit where it doesn't belong.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
I joined the Band!

^^^ may get to this tonight.. soccer practice for both kids is cancelled.. HOWEVER my oldest goes for his Advanced Yellow belt tonight.... (MMA)...
may go out afterwards..if so then maybe not.. :(
Old 10-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
BTW, I can't wait to see what this ends up like! Also, remove the gears and bearings before drilling. You may end up with the bit where it doesn't belong.
got the links under it.. not 100% though...
you gotta be a linkologist to figure this stuff out!!!!

I think a top view would show a skewed body!!!!!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Anything new on this RootBreaker?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChino View Post
Anything new on this RootBreaker?
didnt see this post..

just too busy with kids..
upgraded electric panel in house to 200A
demoing a finished basement to redo (used metal walls and want wood to mount plasma tv and the sort)...

but yes.. I did a bit.. will try and get a pic..

did something cool with the front shocks... I put them onto the front lower links... and when i get it all sorted, running then will fine tune and put tubing over the links and use that to set the shock angles...

the back has 0 shocks right now.. and it sits ok.... I just need to get some time into this thing... will try soon...

especially since RatRC did the FOFF.. I have a set of paddles to cut and shut.. so this could be a rock bouncin FOFF!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #18
I joined the Band!

Haven't worked on it but here it sits....

Links are off so body sits skewed... need to fine tune them...

Untitled by TeleFragger / RootBreaker, on Flickr

Still too much flex.... 3.5 miclaw widths.....

Old 05-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #19
I joined the Band!

still sitting but going to get started back up on...

Wild Blue... Need ideas - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wild Willy - not so wild... Tom22 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 05-25-2013 07:26 AM
Wild, Wild West TRUCK OFF-ROAD Rasalo Videos! 1 06-03-2012 08:06 PM
Blue allstate no. 110 blue flux or comparable. Desert Rc Tools, and Procedures 2 05-18-2011 09:42 AM
What blue lexan paint is closest to anodized blue? BeeRC Paint and Body 2 08-24-2007 09:43 PM