Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Low Cost, Reliable Micro Brushed ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Low Cost, Reliable Micro Brushed ESC?

I'm floating the possibility of running a dual motor/gearbox setup in my Trekker. I've got a spare 4ch receiver lying around, but (obviously) I'll need to add brushed ESCs to run the motors.

Any recommendations? I'm sure Castle probably makes one, but those are outside my budget.

Thanks!
ajsmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Low Cost, Reliable Micro Brushed ESC?

This is one of those times searching would have helped you or would have been quicker haha. I found the xys-20a a few years ago and it seems to work well for myself and others. (Also works for dual motor ;) ) They are tiny & thin, handle 2s lipo, can be found for between $8-$13 depending where you look and can be had with and without a brake reverse delay listed as a "brake" a few days ago a member posted pictures of his which seems to have a switch for the reverse delay and a new smaller board that's about the size of the 10amp. Check this thread for my pictures comparing it to a Losi ESC/RX Cheap TX?

And here are some pictures of the 20amp compared to the 10amp,which seems to be the size of the newer switched version

For what it's worth to anyone else looking to replace the stock losi electronics a used axial ax-3 radio with ar-3 receiver or a gt2 radio is a cheap option. For the $ however, if you ever plan to also use it for your other RCs or have a need for more channels like winch,dig,4ws a hacked GT3B is a great option. The GT3b also works with the axial ar-3 receivers which are a hair smaller than the HobbyKing, Turnigy,Flysky,HSP versions.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thank you for your response! The stock ESC is 10A, right?

I just bought a DX4S to replace the crappy old 27MHz radios in my 16 year old Rustler and 12 year old T-Maxx. Its got all kinds of fun crawler-specific settings that I really want to use with the Trekker, so that's where I'm working toward.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure what the stock esx is, but that 10a seems about right. The dx4s seems to be a great radio,but I went with the hacked GT3b because of the initial cost and the receivers are MUCH cheaper. The 3ch can be had for $4-6 and the 6ch can be had for $7-10 the 8ch for $12-13ish ,plus with the hack it can do more than many of the more expensive radios. I have a plan for one of my 1/10 scalers to have 4ws, dual winches, my spare 2 speed Trans, remote lights ect. I want to use up all 8 channels haha.
Be sure to post your build up when done!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

This gives me bad ideas for upgrading my old xmod I'm certain I cooked trying to bypass the fried pwr switch..darn you! Viva la Micros!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
penneyma79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I've thought it would work well for an xmod. My old gen 1 still works as far as I know. Just need to do the "range fix"
Old 10-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I had no issue fixing my two Gen II's with pwr switch mod, but the Gen I's I have a sinking feeling are toast, at least I cannot get them working. It would be NICE to have them up and running, but only as backups for when my three year old inevitably demolishes his store bought RC monster truck or my Gen II truck, which won't crawl for crap anyhow, but could with a brass frame...sounds like a bad idea...
penneyma79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Holmes hobbies makes great ESCs, and if this was a larger RC that needed a small, light, & powerful ESC I'd agree. $70 however isn't what I'd consider affordable for a micro Crawler ESC. The $10 xys-20a does everything you'd need for a micro Crawler. Even if you needed more power or advanced settings you could go with a micro sidewinder which can be had for around $20 less. $50 is still pricey,but if gives you all the same power and programming options and will also do brushless,which for even less money is nice to have if you upgrade or swap to another RC. I'd like to swap my sidewinder V1 for one of his moster ESCs and a Revolver S in my 1/10 though.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
I'm not sure what the stock esx is, but that 10a seems about right. The dx4s seems to be a great radio,but I went with the hacked GT3b because of the initial cost and the receivers are MUCH cheaper. The 3ch can be had for $4-6 and the 6ch can be had for $7-10 the 8ch for $12-13ish ,plus with the hack it can do more than many of the more expensive radios. I have a plan for one of my 1/10 scalers to have 4ws, dual winches, my spare 2 speed Trans, remote lights ect. I want to use up all 8 channels haha.
Be sure to post your build up when done!
I feel you... I'm already at the point where I want 4WS, twin independent motors/gearboxes, lights, more lights, other lights, sure a winch why not? Or two?!...And if I'm doing two motors, why not make them BOTH Danally Strokers?!...And still have the whole thing looking mostly stock?!

...yeah I get way too ambitious with this stuff... sometimes to the point where I spend so much time planning it out that it never gets finished...

Well, second set of gears and 4WS parts ordered. Just picked up a second HS-65MG. Also recently won a brand new SR410 Spektrum 4ch rx off ebay for like $38. Street price is $60.

When I really get into the guts of it I'm going to start a build thread. I think I'm gonna call it "Overkill."

Last edited by ajsmcs; 10-13-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Wow good price on the spectrum
Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Right?! It was $7 cheaper than the 3ch I was originally gonna buy and swap for the 4ch on my T-Maxx. Now I've got all I need for the Trekker AND an extra channel to play around with on the T-Maxx.

...aaaaand I just pulled the trigger on one of these: XYS-BL20A-20A

Only bought one for now. I'll see how well it works.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

A while ago I did up a quick and dirty micro with 2 motors just to try it out because I didn't have the parts to try it on 1/10. I didn't use 4ws though. Just 2 gearhead motors side by side and facing opposite ends with driveshafts one each output. I used 2 castle micro sidewinders so could use the hacked GT3B for dual motor mixing. It was pretty cool to have mixing like a dual motor MOA,but with everything hidden just showing driveshafts. I still kind of want to try the same thing with a 1/10,my spare outrunners & some RC4WD gearheads,but I'd rather spend the money for other things lol
Old 10-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

That's similar to what I'm planning in some ways. Basically my plan is to make a new tranny plate, then "unwrap" the geartrain so it follows a straight line as opposed to a c-shape (if that description at all makes sense). Each motor will be mounted directly above its output shaft. That keeps everything nice and compact.

However, I don't like how high up that puts the motors in terms of their effect on the CG, especially if I end up doing big block style motors. So another thought I had was to use bevel gears and mount the motors vertically. Either way it amounts to a full transmission redesign, and I haven't had the time to CAD anything up in SolidWorks.

The badass thing about the DX4S is that it has built-in MOA mixing and 4WS control. I can switch both steering and drive modes with a switch, as well as adjust throttle bias with a dial. It even graphically shows what mode you're in on the screen. That was one of the things that swayed me to pony up for the DX4S over the DX4C, and I'm super psyched to try those features out.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

And yeah I feel you. I really want those brass wheel widener/weights and a set of RC4WD beadlocks, but that $80 could go to so many other things...

Low Cost, Reliable Micro Brushed ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low cost new look ke6geu Axial AX-10 Scorpion 22 01-03-2014 02:39 PM
Good, reliable, AE-2 compatible Brushed Motor?? Soulo747 Axial SCX-10 17 10-10-2012 12:59 PM
Reliable, cost-effective brushless setup? generalbacardi Team Losi Comp Crawler 9 10-24-2010 05:51 PM