Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Dravpnir tries to build something micro, again...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2016, 12:16 AM   #21
DravTech

Default Re: Dravpnir tries to build something micro, again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjalas View Post
Hi all, I'm a bit new to R/C stuff and crawlers in general; came across this post through intensive Google searching, since I just recently bought kit version of the 1:24 Basher Rocksta Crawler which I am trying to heavily mod (for my own purposes; building an autonomous rover).

I'm trying to do some mods on it, and really love the look of the larger 1:18 wheels -- question though, are you using any different hex adapters for those 1:18 wheels? If so, where can I find the right ones? If not, do you know if it's possible to adapt the standard 12mm hex hubs to a 3mm axle/shaft? I've been looking for hours online and I can't find anything useful.

Also trying to source some good looking beadlocking wheels that fit the basher rocksta is proving to be extremely difficult; the only ones that I could find that (supposedly) work are some expensive $50 losi rock crawler aluminum ones from RC4WD. Does anyone have any recommendations on modding this cheapo crawler's wheels to something better than stock?

Basically I'm having a PITA time finding good info online for wheels that fit a 3mm shaft.

Thanks everyone! Hope to post here more often once I have something to show .

Welcome to RCC and crawlers! This forum is almost all you need if you are looking for information about crawlers. It sounds like you have an exciting project in the plans

The 1/18 buggy wheels uses the same hex as the stock RockSta wheels so no need to use any adapters.

For 12 mm hexes I have not good answer. Perhaps look more towards the 1/14 or 1/16 buggies (Losi Mini8ight, Carisma GTB etc...)? They might have 12 mm hexes and 3 mm axle stubs.

Also no good advice for the beadlocks either. I made some myself but those are more expensive than the RC4WD ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
I'm going to have to pick one of these up! Been wanting something cheap to play with while I save up for my 1/10 build.
They are cheap and fun, so I will not talk you out of that thought
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2016, 01:33 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post
They are cheap and fun, so I will not talk you out of that thought
Price is good, and I'm hoping you'll offer some sweet upgrades for it in the future.

Wanted to build a Losi MRC, but can't find everything I'd need for a custom build. Looks like everything is just about discontinued. As far as features on the Rocksta, I'm super impressed from what I see online. Even more so with what you've already done to yours.
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:00 AM   #23
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Price is good, and I'm hoping you'll offer some sweet upgrades for it in the future.

Wanted to build a Losi MRC, but can't find everything I'd need for a custom build. Looks like everything is just about discontinued. As far as features on the Rocksta, I'm super impressed from what I see online. Even more so with what you've already done to yours.
I am working on some ideas for it atm, just need time to draw them up.

I also sell many parts for the MRC if you want a custom build
Old 01-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

What is required to allow for the use of separate escs front and back to work the axles independently? I've never cared to worry about doing that, until I saw a video recently of what that allows you to do with a crawler! With less than perfect steering that could be a great asset.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
mwe-maxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:16 AM   #25
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
What is required to allow for the use of separate escs front and back to work the axles independently? I've never cared to worry about doing that, until I saw a video recently of what that allows you to do with a crawler! With less than perfect steering that could be a great asset.
To have completly indenpendent control you would need a stick radio. Then you can even reverse with one axle and go forward with the other one.

But for most it is enough to have a pistol style radio that can handle mixing of 2 esc. Most of the medium, or high end radios has that option. I personally really like the Sanwa MT4.

To be able to control the axles independent of each other and have 4WS you need 4 channels.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

You can have independent control with a pistol grip radio. most people with dual ESCs have that setup, it just won't do simultaneous independent axles which isn't a big deal for most people. As long as there are at least 3 channels and mixing. Mine is set up with a hacked GT3B. For wiring do some searches for dual ESCs or check the electronics section and there should be a few instructions and even diagrams. For mini rock crawlers parts I'd check the Mini section. It had lots of aftermarket support, and I would expect the replacement from vattera (Losi) and the clones like hbx and HSP may have some parts that can swap. As for beadlocks you can take stock Losi mini rock crawlers wheels and some PVC pipe and modify the wheel into a true beadlock.

Last edited by spoo76; 01-21-2016 at 07:56 AM.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
You can have independent control with a pistol grip radio. most people with dual ESCs have that setup, it just won't do simultaneous independent axles which isn't a big deal for most people. As long as there are at least 3 channels and mixing. Mine is set up with a hacked GT3B. For wiring do some searches for dual ESCs or check the electronics section and there should be a few instructions and even diagrams. For mini rock crawlers parts I'd check the Mini section. It had lots of aftermarket support, and I would expect the replacement from vattera (Losi) and the clones like hbx and HSP may have some parts that can swap. As for beadlocks you can take stock Losi mini rock crawlers wheels and some PVC pipe and modify the wheel into a true beadlock.
Would you be able to run axles one at a time with the opposing axle just at neutral? Or perhaps brake one while another drives?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
Would you be able to run axles one at a time with the opposing axle just at neutral? Or perhaps brake one while another drives?

You can run front dig which locks the rear axle and drives the front, rear dig which locks the front and drives the rear. You can also have proportional overdrive for the front and underdrive for the rear. So if you for example have it set to 10%, every click of the slider makes the front axle 10% faster than the rear and you can do the same to underdrive the rear. The 3ch button can be used to quickly reset everything to a 50/50 split.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I wanna research this, but I'll start my own thread. Thank you!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #30

Dang those cheap kits are so tempting, thanks for the amazing pics.
Graveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Does this RC come stock with dig or is that the modifications you did using dual ESCs?
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Bump. I'm almost out of Popcorn.. got one sitting on the shelf just waiting to see what you come up with.
MikeChino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #33

Very cool!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

subbed
microcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Anybody know what size hex and socket drivers I'll need for the Rocksta? Thanks in advance!
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post
I am working on some ideas for it atm, just need time to draw them up.

I also sell many parts for the MRC if you want a custom build
Are you going to sell parts for these. I'm pretty interested in building one. Would like to source some really cheap escs to mash together. And I like the aftermarket axle idea to get more steering. Also those knuckle weights look great. Only thing is I can't find the metal gears. And buying it without them sounds like a waste of time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:24 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo93 View Post
Are you going to sell parts for these. I'm pretty interested in building one. Would like to source some really cheap escs to mash together. And I like the aftermarket axle idea to get more steering. Also those knuckle weights look great. Only thing is I can't find the metal gears. And buying it without them sounds like a waste of time.

Look for the XYS-BL20A without brake. That's the one without reverse delay. That version is under $11 shipped usually. There is also a smaller 10amp version, though it doesn't have universal name or model number. You'd expect it to be XYS-BL10A, but that's not the case

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 06:29 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

The XYS-BL20A is on the far right. The 10 amp version is plenty strong enough and a little smaller.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:30 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Look for the XYS-BL20A without brake. That's the one without reverse delay. That version is under $11 shipped usually. There is also a smaller 10amp version, though it doesn't have universal name or model number. You'd expect it to be XYS-BL10A, but that's not the case

Wouldn't I want a ESC with a brake?
If I can't get metal gears I might not get it anyway.

Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:33 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

In this case they call reverse delay "brake" not having it allows you to go from forward to instant reverse to prevent a rollover on an incline. Otherwise there is stop, a few seconds of delay, then tap reverse again to move.
Metal gears are available with searching. I've seen people recently post about picking some up

Dravpnir tries to build something micro, again... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dravpnir tries to build something small, again... Dravpnir Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 106 01-09-2018 10:07 AM
Dravpnir tries to build something Sporty Dravpnir Axial AX-10 Scorpion 19 09-10-2017 07:19 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something really small Dravpnir Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 03-11-2015 01:33 AM
Dravpnir tries to build something small Dravpnir Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 221 11-10-2014 02:28 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something light Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 125 04-23-2014 06:01 AM